Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Whoatrix

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/jodie-whit...c-news-tv.html

A female Doctor!!! I want her to succeed so bad! I mean, nobody should be too surprised: it isn't as if the Master transforming into Missy wasn't foreshadowing enough. But isn't it thrilling? Jodie Whittaker has the right face to appeal to the Who casting people and she's a good actress. I hope she can be cocky enough; it's hard to imagine her doing British Silly Ass, ala Peter Wimsey or the Scarlet Pimpernel, but who knows? Whoo hoo!

The Daleks may take her seriously, but I bet she has trouble with the humans. Last weekend I tipped over my kayak and was perfectly competent, bringing it, my paddle and myself to shore (in flood, no less, she bragged), when I was nearly rammed by a couple of old gents in a canoe who insisted on "rescuing" me. Damn near ran over me and they forced me back midstream. Chivalry is not dead, but it might kill you. The new Doctor is in for a rough time.
    “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
    Billy Sunday

I think she'll be fine! Whether or not the writers can deliver good storylines, though... What they did with Clara, what they've done with the Doctor in the past.

Comment

The writing will be very important. The character needs to remain the same. It will be a challenge.

Comment

I'm glad there will finally be a female Doctor. I haven't been watching much in the past few years, but maybe I will tune back in.

Comment

I heard that the male writers on BtVS had an easier time with one of the female characters, probably Willow, than the female writers. Their answer was, we just write it for a guy but an actress plays the part. Things don't have to change unless they want to play up the feminine side. I stopped watching when it wasn't covered in the US where I was. I lost track of the numbers but it was the Dr with Ace as a companion after the guy with celery pinned to his lapel.

Comment

That WAS a while back.
            I fear that Bill will develop a thing for the Dr. If she's female. It would be too bad; I enjoyed a cool headed companion.
            Billy Sunday

Comment

I can't help it, I'm old.

Comment

Yeah, that's going around Saber. Sigh.
                Billy Sunday

Comment

It's stranger that there hasn't been a female Doctor already. Every regeneration, the guy is just flipping a coin every time with no say in it, right? Why would it always be heads?
                  Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Male writers? Show runners worried about losing male audience?

Bill isn't an issue any more. SPOILER That's the second companion that should be dead but who has been saved by a mysterious process. Still, Bill being rescued by the star-eyed woman is a little more plausible than what happened with Me and Clara. So, new Doctor and new companion. I LOVED the dialogue in the last episode, BTW. "Doctor Who? That isn't his name!" "Comic Relief and Exposition over there," They picked holes in everything: I loved it.
                    Last edited by Coolwater; 07-26-2017, 08:18 AM.
                    Billy Sunday

Comment

Don't watch Dr. Who but I liked this actress in Broadchurch.

Comment

I just watched the first season of Broadchurch. Jodie Whittaker did a good job on that show. Also, it was very interesting to see David Tennant doing something other than The Doctor.

Comment

Do you suppose they share agents or a casting director or something?
                          Billy Sunday

Comment

• Cyrus The Great
                            Cyrus The Great commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I wouldn't be surprised. I suspect that within the realm of BBC productions, everyone probably pretty much knows everyone else. From watching Dr. Who extras, I know that directors move around to different BBC shows and they remember actors that they have enjoyed working with. This often gets the actors more work.

Oh, and it looks like Bill won't be a romantic plot line.
                          Billy Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                            Oh, and it looks like Bill won't be a romantic plot line.
                            It sounds the first episode for the new Dr Who will be the last for Bill. I think.
                            Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Or sooner, even.
                              Billy Sunday

Comment

I have seen a few advertisements recently for the new Who with Jodie Whittaker. I am looking forward to seeing her take on the role.

Comment

My theory is that the Time Lords will tend to land on the same sex they are born as, but we have also seen for example that female Time Lords have more control over their regenerations (at least if they're in good shape, as Romana played around before settling on one.). Time Lords seem to have a subconscious control. Peter Capaldi's Doctor said he'd chosen the face of the man whose family he'd saved when with Donna. I joked for a while that the reason for David Tennant was because the Doctor wanted to look young enough to be with Rose. A Time Lord who loves being either sex (according to that one episode) gleefully changed sexes at almost every regeneration. Thus Jodie's tenure might be because of Bill's being a lesbian with a predilection for blondes.

Comment

I wish I could get Doctor Who. My cable company dropped BBC America some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by HL1 View Post
                                      I wish I could get Doctor Who. My cable company dropped BBC America some time ago.
                                      Oh I hate it when I can't watch something just because of where I am!! HUGS

Comment

Gosh, that's awful! At the end of a season our public library gets the episodes; have you checked?.
                                        Billy Sunday

Comment

I hadn't thought to check the libraries. Apparently we now have a version of BBCA but the scheduling is peculiar and I only accidentally found 2 eps of Doctor Who. The first is the new doctor, who I really liked. The episode involved a man named Ryan, who couldn't ride a bike, his Nan, and her husband. There was a ball of tentacles and some warrior with teeth in his face who was on a hunt for a pre-selected Earthling. The second was classic David Tennant with Madame Pompadour.

Comment

Originally posted by HL1 View Post
                                            I hadn't thought to check the libraries. Apparently we now have a version of BBCA but the scheduling is peculiar and I only accidentally found 2 eps of Doctor Who. The first is the new doctor, who I really liked. The episode involved a man named Ryan, who couldn't ride a bike, his Nan, and her husband. There was a ball of tentacles and some warrior with teeth in his face who was on a hunt for a pre-selected Earthling. The second was classic David Tennant with Madame Pompadour.
                                            That one with the new Doctor was the first episode of the season, so at least you didn't catch one out of order. If you have a VOD service with your provider, you may want to check BBCA's listings thereon to see if the rest of the season is available.

Comment

Working...
                                            X