What's Happening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Happening?

What's going on? Been traveling, which I tend to do this time of year. Been to Florida, The Caribbean and presently hanging with my youngest son at his place in Colorado. Hope everyone had a good Christmas?
    It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Not a lot. Just working, writing, and wasting way too much time online, so no change there. Sounds like you've had a bit of an adventure lately, though. Must be nice to travel so often.

Comment

I did what used to be my usual for Christmas this year- attended midnight mass with mom at the Anglican cathedral. Last year I had a nasty virus- coughing like nobody's business. Decided to not inflict that on my fellow church-goers. For the two years before that I was recovering from chemo, the year before that I had travelled to grandma's because she was dying.

Yesterday mom's boyfriend's daughter hosted Christmas dinner. Basically a good visit at a long table, a TV with a football game going nearby, various booze including various homebrews (one of them mine) passed around. Haven't been to a gathering like that for over a decade.

Now I figure it's time to goof off for awhile- I'm quite achy for all the activity.

Comment

The usual routine at home. Lots of dogs... so, so many dogs...
        Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Kitties. And listening to some awful misogynist reviewing SW:TLJ

Comment

Had an extra long trek and managed to see an awful lot of kin that we hadn't seen for a while. That part was good! The not so good part was that my M-I-L got sick Christmas Eve and went hauling off in an ambulance. Poor lady still isn't home yet.
            “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
            Billy Sunday

Comment

Hey Stoney!! Had a very quiet Christmas. You are in Colorado after we moved to Texas. Figures. We have family drama but otherwise we are ticking along. G says hi!
              Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

I got to travel and meet some friends I haven't seen in 7+ years in a place that is near and dear to my withered, black heart. The holidays themselves were pretty uneventful, however.

Comment

I always knew you had a heart, n.

So, here's the silly latest. Pina has good credit, but no credit history, so I agreed to cosign for a car. I was going over the contract and had some questions, so I called the number on the contract and asked for Mike, Pina's guy at the dealership. I got "Mikey," who seemed very puzzled. He said he couldn't place Pina and he'd just run and get her contract so he could help. No contract. Was I sure I had the right dealer?

To make a long story short, the Santa Monica dealer had sent me a contract with the competition's phone number on it! Mikey, at the Greater LA dealership, gave me the other dealer's number, but immediately called back to offer better terms. Two guesses which dealer Pina picked!
                  Billy Sunday

Comment

You're in Santa Monica? I go there every so often. Looking to be there in the fall.

Btw, I'm heading back to Utah in a couple of weeks, I like it there. A bit backwards with a few things but the landscape is beautiful and it's peaceful. Plus the nighttime sky can't be beat.

Comment

I keep hearing nice things about Utah.
                      Billy Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                        I keep hearing nice things about Utah.
                        If you like beautiful landscapes and stargazing it can't be beat.

Comment

I have seen many pictures of Utah landscapes and they were quite beautiful.

I have wondered what people in Utah think about Trump taking away huge chunks of their protected National Monuments? The sight of strip mines and oil fracking rigs wont be particularly scenic.

Comment

It hasn't happened yet. I basically deal with tourist and they're not happy about it, if and when it happens. As far as people who live there I haven't heard a lot of them even talk about it.

Comment

Pina went to a friend's family's home in Orem (I think it was Orem) and she said that the scenery was beautiful and the people were friendly. I think you'll have a fine time.
                              Billy Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
                                I have seen many pictures of Utah landscapes and they were quite beautiful.

I have wondered what people in Utah think about Trump taking away huge chunks of their protected National Monuments? The sight of strip mines and oil fracking rigs wont be particularly scenic.
                                Cyrus, just FYI, there is no such thing as a "fracking" rig. There are drilling rigs, completion and workover rigs. Fracking is done with workover rigs. There is SO much misinformation about the oil and gas industry out there that is drives me a little crazy. (Actually, it drives me a lot crazy).
                                WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

Ok LamBear, I admit I am no expert on "rigs", but my point was about the loss of scenic beauty.

Comment

All right and understood. And I admit I'm a "little" touchy on the subject. Colorado and Utah do have some amazing scenery and vistas. But, the rigs are temporary and there are strict regulations about land reclamation post-drilling and workovers. Just curious--have you ever been in the middle of a windmill farm where there's nothing else you can see for miles and miles around but giant windmills? Granted, they usually don't put these things in the middle of garden spots. But still, talk about an eyesore!

Comment

I have not been in the middle of a windmill farm, but I have seen them in documentaries about energy production and in newspaper and magazine pictures. I live in Indiana where there is a fast growing windmill industry. Most of Indiana is very flat not very scenic farm land. A lot of farmers are supplementing their income by leasing space for windmills and access roads. We also have a growing solar industry here. I am very much in favor of wind and solar energy production in areas where scenic beauty is not a factor. We just can't keep burning fossil fuels like there is no tomorrow. Climate change is only going to continue to get worse.

Comment

In NJ we seem to be strapping a solar panel to everything that doesn't move. There are a lot on rooftops and over parking lots, but some are in fields which are unpopular. They do have a life after which they stop being productive, so there is a concern about recycling them. There are also concerns about safety in case of fire - you if the sun is out they are producing power which can be a threat to firemen. I've heard they are approaching a limit in how productive they are and future advancements will be in how they are used rather than efficiency. They are talking about making them flexible. But the neatest thing I heard about is to build them into windows where they would intercept only the ultraviolet light and be clear for visible light. These would not produce as much power due to the limited frequency range, but would be great for office buildings.

Comment

Even before she has moved in, our new neighbor has removed seven large hard wood trees from her property. Lunacy! I hope to see solar panels on her roof soon, or I'll be temped to not be very neighborly. imagine cutting down perfectly lovely trees?
                                          Billy Sunday

Comment

That sucks about the trees, people have no common sense. Don`t shoot me Lambie, but I think windmills are graceful...they remind me of ballerinas. But they should scatter a few here, a few there. I can agree that too many in one place spoils the scenery...
                                            Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

***unloads gun and quietly puts it away*** I like trees. Don't like seeing them cut down either.

Comment

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                                                Even before she has moved in, our new neighbor has removed seven large hard wood trees from her property. Lunacy! I hope to see solar panels on her roof soon, or I'll be temped to not be very neighborly. imagine cutting down perfectly lovely trees?
                                                In my younger days I egged someone's house for doing that. You can still see where the two dozen eggs hit.

Comment

Yesterday, I read about a town in Texas that is entirely powered by wind and solar power. The mayor, who was a driving force behind the town's renewable energy initiative, is a Republican. Al Gore read about him on line and went there to interview him for "An Inconvenient Sequel". He and Al are good friends now. It pleases me that renewable energy can be a bipartisan issue.
                                                  Last edited by Cyrus The Great; 04-27-2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X