Why...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why...

...am I no longer an a$$h#le? Correction: why am I no long such a blatant one? I find myself reading a thread, getting a laugh out of something, shall we say, "foolish", and clicking reply to share my opinion on the matter a la the good old days. However, I end up just discarding the reply halfway through thinking that there's no reason to say what I intended.

What the hell is going on?

The previous n107s would be rolling in their graves (had I not burned the bodies).

P.S. When are our original join dates n' such going to be restored?
    A. Getting older kills the fun.
    0%
    B. I've somehow become a half-decent person.
    11.11%
    C. Brain damage.
    11.11%
    D. Heart Disease.
    0%
    E. All of the above.
    11.11%
    F. None of the above.
    0%
    G. As above, so below.
    33.33%
    H. Both E and F.
    33.33%
    I. Love Lucy.
    0%

I think they can only be restored if you know, remember, or someone else knows when you first registered. I've lost mine very nearly forever.

Comment

I'm the same way n107, I wanna say something after reading a post but I stop about halfway thru and discard it.
      It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

Delete is a great stress reliever.

As for join dates and post counts...everyone should check old files they may have saved or printed out. If you see yours or anyone else's name listed with the rank, join date or a post count let Andrew or one of the moderators know so it can be changed. I know I printed out pages for some of the chain stories to make it easier for me to read. Same thing with some of the art designs and games that went into the Forever Highlander gift bags. I know others have saved some pages too. It just takes some time to dig through actual paper backups.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
          I'm the same way n107, I wanna say something after reading a post but I stop about halfway thru and discard it.
          Aside from the fact that I was 18 when I joined this forum and 32 now, and have therefore changed dramatically as a person, I also know what to expect here. I know for a fact that my political views are going to be the exact opposite of the majority of people here (being right-wing), therefore I know that engaging in that kind of discussion is unlikely to end productively. So I'll just avoid it. When I first joined this forum I drank way too much and was frequently an a******. My life was a mess in all kinds of ways in fact, and I was basically just a kid. However I was never a troll—I never set out to deliberately upset anyone. What I've learned is that these things are ultimately a choice. I've assessed this forum and its people and so know perfectly well the kind of reaction that I'm going to get by saying one thing or another. It's just a question of whether I make the choice to create that kind of atmosphere, and I simply choose not to. There are plenty of other places I can go if I want to express my frustrations with the political left or whatever else just isn't going to be well received here. Yeah, forums like Holy Ground are designed for disagreements, but I'd rather not generate bad feelings at all.

One thing that bothers me about life is that you often meet people that you could get on great with if only neither of you had strong opinions on subjects. But you do. And so where you could have had a positive relationship, it just isn't possible unless both of you are willing to bite your tongue. I like the people of the Highlander forum and don't particularly want to have animosity with any of them. It's not easy to restrain yourself some times though. I won't even look in certain topics if I feel that's what it'll take.
          Last edited by David McMurdo; 05-23-2017, 02:11 PM.
          Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

I feel the same way. I tend to stay out of political arguments nowadays. Not worth the time and frustration.
            It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

McMurdo, that is the best post ever. Choosing to push/not push buttons isn't a way I'd considered it, but it makes good sense.

A bunch of us were on Facebook, where you can't hide behind a screen name. I noticed that some folks who were pretty cranky here are actually quite nice when they're posting under their own names.

n, could you add "antidepressants" as an option? A therapist acquaintance slyly commented once that it is amazing how much nicer patient's wives wives are when the patients are taking antidepressants.
              “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
              Billy Sunday

Comment

Oh, and n, I'm glad you're still not dead.
                Billy Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                  McMurdo, that is the best post ever. Choosing to push/not push buttons isn't a way I'd considered it, but it makes good sense.

A bunch of us were on Facebook, where you can't hide behind a screen name. I noticed that some folks who were pretty cranky here are actually quite nice when they're posting under their own names.
                  I've had a policy for about five years now where I always use my real name everywhere no matter what I'm doing out of pure principle because in 2012 I became a Christian and it seemed in line with biblical principles. If I'm saying something that I wouldn't want people to know that I'm saying, then I almost certainly shouldn't be saying it. But when I made the decision to return to this forum I did wonder if I should still use the username "Quickening" just because that's how I've always been known here. I ultimately decided against it, though there are times when I look at all you guys with your classic usernames and wish I still had mine. But no, this is the right thing for me.

Also, I understand that there are very good reasons for people not using their real name (for the sake of their family's privacy, etc), but I have no such concerns myself.
                  Last edited by David McMurdo; 05-28-2017, 11:32 PM.
                  Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

A bunch of us were on Facebook, where you can't hide behind a screen name.
                    I would log on to Facebook to tell you I disagree with that statement, but I can't decide which account to post under.

Comment

Oh, and n, I'm glad you're still not dead.
                      Let's not jump to any conclusions.

Comment

Ahh, I've missed you, n. At least I think I have; you never know with those alter egos.
                        Billy Sunday

Comment

Ahh, I've missed you, n. At least I think I have; you never know with those alter egos.
                          I prefer to think of them as split personalities but whatever floats your boat.

Water.

It's likely water.

Comment

I think the current diagnostic manual would call them multiple personalities. Either way, it means you always have someone interesting to talk to.
                            Billy Sunday

Comment

The name I'm currently using is one I used somewhere, looooong, long ago. I thought it was here, but there is no way for me to know.

Comment

I went back to Colleengael because it is the name I have always signed my art with way back before the internet when I was still in school. OldSouls was a good substitute but it feels right to be using my original nickname again.

Comment

Working...
                                X