Peace & Good Health!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peace & Good Health!

Duncan MacLeod is now one of my all time favorite fictional characters. After watching all 6 seasons of Highlander, I'm rather dismayed at how the last season just withered and died. Two of Hearts, didn't have any of the Highlander regulars, it was like watching a completely different show so I didn't actually finish that one. There is no satisfying sense of completion for Duncan's story. It's like this feeling of wanting more combined with a numbness knowing that there is no more. Now I just don't know what to do. I can rewatch, but it's not the same because I know what's going to happen next. All first time Highlander watchers should have a support group for when they reach season 6 to staunch the bleeding.

Anything remotely similar to Highlander that I can watch now?

Try Highlander: The Raven
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Hiya! So glad to see you!
      Most recently there is The Old Guard, a comic made into a movie. It was really quite good, and not Highlander but with a similar theme.

Two of Hearts is very funny, because apparently it was NOT one of the attempts at a spin-off! Pity, I actually liked that one. I'm sorry you didn't.

I know that at the end of Season 5 they hadn't expected to even have a Season 6, and all of the actors were quite busy, which rather had a crippling effect on the season.

There are shows I just like, such as Outlander, whose resemblance to Highlander lies only in stories taking place in completely different eras, thus loads of fun with costuming. The time travel aspect is completely different, and of course no Quickenings or immortals. I'm told that Cursed is quite good. Haven't had personal experience with it yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
        Try Highlander: The Raven
        But I heard Duncan isn't in it. I will probably check it out at some point.

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
        Two of Hearts is very funny, because apparently it was NOT one of the attempts at a spin-off! Pity, I actually liked that one. I'm sorry you didn't.
        My initial reaction was "Who are these people? Did I miss an episode which gives their back story? Where are the characters that I know?" I will make another attempt at it with a more open mind. I will check out the other shows you mentioned, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightBlue View Post

But I heard Duncan isn't in it. I will probably check it out at some point.

My initial reaction was "Who are these people? Did I miss an episode which gives their back story? Where are the characters that I know?" I will make another attempt at it with a more open mind. I will check out the other shows you mentioned, thanks!
          He isn't in it.

I have now watched a bit of Cursed. It has beautiful special effects, but good LORD there are choices to the story-telling that annoy the heck out of me. There is too much abuse and cold-hearted cruelty heaped upon the main character BY HER OWN PEOPLE. In flashbacks and in current events.
          Last edited by dubiousbystander; 07-28-2020, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Hmm, yeah, then maybe Cursed isn't for me. When I first started watching the Highlander series I was bracing myself for the violence, heads being lopped off and all, but to my surprise I don't recall ever seeing one dissevered head. I don't like watching violence, but I do like watching skill and that's what I appreciate about Highlander you see their sword skill in combat. Some time ago, I was recommended The Sopranos and I did check it out but the violence was just too much for me and I stopped. Similar issue with the show Dexter, I wish someone can create a version with the visual violence cut out and just have a black screen with the words in white "Dead body on ground." I really enjoyed the first half of Dexter, but I felt like maybe they changed the writers because it started going downhill near the end of season 1 and I felt like it never recovered after that.

Comment

Have been going through some struggles lately - work stress, debts, health issues, trying to conceive - and am hoping to find peace through God’s grace. If you would be inclined, please pray for peace and good health for my family, and for a clear mind and steady hands for my husband as he works 24-hour shifts in the cardiac surgery unit. May we walk the Lord’s path and feel His peace...
              Last edited by nikkinemo95; 08-24-2020, 12:58 AM.

Comment

If you haven't seen it, Highlander: Endgame is a pretty good film and Duncan centric. Highlander: The Source is also Duncan centric, and technically provides some closure to the franchise, but it wasn't recieved very well as it had a lot of production troubles that lead to the story being rather lackluster, and the finale being a bit rushed. But yeah, aside from those films, there are of course three others (the original, the disavowed Highlander 2, and my personal favorite, The Final Dimension) that are Connor centric, as well as a pretty solid anime feature (The Search for Vengeance) that is about a one off protagonist. The Raven is also good, as has been mentioned, and is Amanda centric. No Duncan, but at least it's something. There's also an animated series out there, but I can't recommend it (it's actually the only piece of Highlander on film that I don't personally own).

Comment

Same here.
                  JB

Comment

Originally posted by nikkinemo95 View Post
                    Have been going through some struggles lately - work stress, debts, health issues, trying to conceive - and am hoping to find peace through God’s grace. If you would be inclined, please pray for peace and good health for my family, and for a clear mind and steady hands for my husband as he works 24-hour shifts in the cardiac surgery unit. May we walk the Lord’s path and feel His peace.
                    I'm not quite sure. Is this person a Highlander fan, or are we waiting for the "Please give us money, and here's the link."

Comment

Originally posted by nikkinemo95 View Post
                      Have been going through some struggles lately - work stress, debts, health issues, trying to conceive - and am hoping to find peace through God’s grace. If you would be inclined, please pray for peace and good health for my family, and for a clear mind and steady hands for my husband as he works 24-hour shifts in the cardiac surgery unit. May we walk the Lord’s path and feel His peace...
                      I hope things go well for you and your family. It's a difficult time to be working in health care.

Originally posted by Takk
                      If you haven't seen it, Highlander: Endgame is a pretty good film and Duncan centric. Highlander: The Source is also Duncan centric, and technically provides some closure to the franchise, but it wasn't recieved very well as it had a lot of production troubles that lead to the story being rather lackluster, and the finale being a bit rushed. But yeah, aside from those films, there are of course three others (the original, the disavowed Highlander 2, and my personal favorite, The Final Dimension) that are Connor centric, as well as a pretty solid anime feature (The Search for Vengeance) that is about a one off protagonist. The Raven is also good, as has been mentioned, and is Amanda centric. No Duncan, but at least it's something. There's also an animated series out there, but I can't recommend it (it's actually the only piece of Highlander on film that I don't personally own)....
                      I've seen all the movies, except for the animated one. It was nice to see Connor and Duncan together in Endgame, which is probably my favorite of the movies. I don't feel too inclined to watch Raven because I don't think Amanda can really carry a whole show as the main character. I've been watching all kinds of random things and nothing fills in that Highlander shaped hole in my heart. There can only be one!

Originally posted by dubiousbystander
                      I'm not quite sure. Is this person a Highlander fan, or are we waiting for the "Please give us money, and here's the link."...
                      I am going to assume that person saw the heading for this thread "Peace & Good Health!" and assumed it's about wishing people well.
                      Last edited by MidnightBlue; 09-20-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X