Math is Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math is Fun!

Guess who's back? Ask me your math questions.

Is it just a coincidence that the words Math and Mayhem start with the same letter?
    Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

So do magnificent and marvelous.

Comment

Morbid and morose also come to mind

Comment

Ha ha, it looks like we're going to be a while getting over the giddiness of having a board again! How about mercurial melodic merciful! I know I will have math questions. I just don't have any at this express moment!

Comment

Math is natural, match is fun. Match is best when it's, one plus one. ..apologies to George Michael

Comment

• Colleengael
              Colleengael commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like your post got hit by the auto correct gremlins.

Math is not fun but you are fun my friend. Nice to be back on the board with you! Oh, and (just for you) many math terms begin with M- magnitude, major arc, matrix, maximize mean value, Menelaus's Theorum, measurement, midpoint, Mobius Strip, modular arithmetic, monomial, multiplication, etc.

Comment

• mathpiglet
              mathpiglet commented
              Editing a comment
              Well done, my friend!

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
            Ask me your math questions.
            OK.
            In a random knock-out tournament with an unknown number of participants with randomly assigned skill levels and in which winning increases skill by a factor of the defeated opponents skill level , does the chance of winning the next fight increase or decrease?

May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post

OK.
              In a random knock-out tournament with an unknown number of participants with randomly assigned skill levels and in which winning increases skill by a factor of the defeated opponents skill level , does the chance of winning the next fight increase or decrease?
              It is utterly dependent upon the astrological sign of the opponents, whether or not they had happy childhoods, and the phase of the moon.

Comment

I have a question. Have any of you seen Hidden Figures? It's the story of 3 women (called 'computers') that helped us, the US get into space using the mathamatics and the numbers and such. Space, imagine that. Above buildings. Way high up. Wonderful moving moving picture show. Top notch.

Comment

• Cyrus The Great
                  Cyrus The Great commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was an excellent movie! I did not know that African American woman played such an important role in the early history of NASA.

• Coolwater
                  Coolwater commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's a terrific film!

• mathpiglet
                  mathpiglet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It took a while, but I did see Hidden Figures. I really enjoyed it. Now I need to find the book.

Hi, Mathy!! We need sign emojies!

Comment

Hi, Mathy! Math is fun!

Comment

• mathpiglet
                    mathpiglet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It sure is!

MATHIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Haplo View Post
                  Is it just a coincidence that the words Math and Mayhem start with the same letter?
                  No
                  May The Winds Be With You, while I'm searchin' for my lost shaker of salt. Makin' for the Trades on the outside. Lookin' for the Southern Cross. (J.Buffett 77/74)
                  "Yeah, It's all fun and games until somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.

Comment

Kat! I see your privateer gps finally found us!

Comment

OK, MP, I'll take a stab. True or false?

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

[I think it's true, at least usually in my case.]

It's good to see so many people returning here.
                      WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

Mathematically no, but if you believe Andy Rooney...

Comment

Kat! I see your privateer gps finally found us!
                          Shouldn't "privateer" be written in quotes and said with air quotes or at least a wink and a knowing grin? A pirate working for the crown is still a pirate

Comment

Is math universal? Is it possible that 1 and 1 do not add up to two to other life forms?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bollocks View Post

Is math universal? Is it possible that 1 and 1 do not add up to two to other life forms?
                              Yes, math is universal. Other civilizations may use a different base and use different symbols, but the concept of one added to one is two.

Comment

Shouldn't "privateer" be written in quotes and said with air quotes or at least a wink and a knowing grin? A pirate working for the crown is still a pirate
                                Well of course you are correct. Thank you.

Comment

Yes, math is universal. Other civilizations may use a different base and use different symbols, but the concept of one added to one is two.
                                  What do you mean by base?
                                  I could google this but I like going old school. Which is strange because if I had listened when going to my old school I would probably know the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bollocks View Post

What do you mean by base?
                                    I could google this but I like going old school. Which is strange because if I had listened when going to my old school I would probably know the answer.
                                    We use a base 10 system which means we use different symbols for 0 to 9 and then we repeat them by adding 10 to each one. So eleven is really 10 + 1, twelve is 10 + 2...and so on. Some civilizations have used different bases. Computers use base 2, also known as binary because a switch can either be on (1) or off (0). So if you count in binary, it's 0,1,10,11,100,101,....

Comment

thhhpppt!
                                      May The Winds Be With You, while I'm searchin' for my lost shaker of salt. Makin' for the Trades on the outside. Lookin' for the Southern Cross. (J.Buffett 77/74)
                                      "Yeah, It's all fun and games until somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.

Comment

Well of course you are correct. Thank you.
                                        thhhhpppt! And Double thhhhpppt!

Comment

Originally posted by Kat View Post

thhhhpppt! And Double thhhhpppt!
                                          Watch yourself, Kat. You might do permanent damage to your tongue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X