No announcement yet.

When did you first discover Highlander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you first discover Highlander?

I first discovered Highlander when I was working in Sun Valley, Idaho. We kept getting the trailer at the theaters in Ketchum and Sun Valley. I went to see it because of my lifelong habit of viewing Sean Connery movies. I knew who Christopher was because of Greystoke. After seeing the film everyday after work you might say I was hooked.

So, what was your first experience with the Highlander franchise?

As a kid watching Highlander 3 on PPV by myself. Watched all the other movies, even Endgame, then the show.
    Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Seeing the original on cable many years ago. But I was really hooked watching the series.
      It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

1994. I was watching Renegade on the USA network and something else (I can't remember what now) and Highlander came on in between the two so I watched it rather than change the channel and I was immediately hooked. Then I discovered it was running current episodes on late night CBS. Once it was over I watched every rerun I could and rented the movies. By then I was obsessed. I started buying t-shirts and swords and reading the books. Then I discovered this place and joined and 2 years later I discovered online sims (RPGs) and joined a couple (using the role play techniques I learned in the Le Blues Bar chat room) and in 2006 I was running my own Highlander sim (which died in 2013). Also in 2006 a couple of friends bought me the entire VHS collection....all 6 seasons...which I wore out....literally.

Comment

I discovered it in 1985 at the San Diego Comic Con where there was a Lobby Stand up of the film. That same year I met Len Morganti, the animator for the final Quickening. When it hit the theaters I went and fell in love with the mythology.

Comment

I no longer remember, really, but am certain I saw the first movie in theaters. I know I watched the TV series as it aired.

Comment

Picked up Highlander as a rental VHS sometime in 1987. Been hooked ever since.

Comment

My sons used to watch it when they came home for lunch from school. When I was there, I would catch parts of it. Later I was looking for something to record (VHS) to watch while I was on the tread mill in the basement where we had no cable, just a VCR. I watched "Homeland" was hooked and was happy to be able to to tape it every day.

Comment

I saw the first film and was absolutely hooked. It was also the film that got me interested in music as a kid. I wore out my TV recorded, VHS copy rewinding to listen to Princes of the Universe. I got really into Queen, and through them, David Bowie, who remains my all time favourite. It all goes back to seeing Highlander by chance one day.
                  Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

I watched the first two films on VHS at some point in the 90s (before the third one came out) and then caught part of an episode some time later.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

I met my soon-to-be Best Friend on the junior high school bus. We bonded over a mutual love of Batman. She was a fan of the show and suggested I watch. Both our families learned that from 6pm-7pm she and I would be on the phone watching Highlander together. I even got livingroom (AKA Big) TV priority to watch it.

Side note: the one and only time in my life I got grounded I was banned from watching the show for a week. I was 13 at the time.

Comment

I first "discovered" it by seeing the box for Highlander 2 at a video rental shop. I never did get around to renting it, though.

I later became came aware of the series because it started after a TV show a friend and I always watched. We never watched it but always heard the theme song. The music riff of Princes of the Universe became a running joke between us.

Then I done got myself a bit shattered in a car accident and was stuck at home recovering for about 6 months. I didn't sleep much so I watched a lot of late night TV. One day as Highlander the series was coming on, I decided I'd give it a shot. It turned out to be the first episode. I was impressed with it enough to follow it everyday in order. Soon I was hooked.

Comment

I distinctly remember this. Back in the 80's when I was old enough to babysit my younger brother, my parents went out of town for weekend. He & I drove to our favorite movie rental store (remember those?) We would always rented 2 movies & our deal was we each picked 1 & the other would watch their choice. He thought the cover of this "Highlander" movie looked cool, even though he knew nothing about it, but Sean Connery was in it. Who knows what I picked that time. I absolutely LOVED it. I don't recall how I learned of the TV series, but when it came out I remember setting my VCR to record the episodes because it was on a cable channel at maybe 11:00pm. I loved those just as much as the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
                            Seeing the original on cable many years ago. But I was really hooked watching the series.
                            Me, too. When the series started. though, we had a new baby who was a refluxer, so I was too busy to watch TV, 12 years later, I picked it up on the Scy Fy Channel and Spike.
                            Last edited by Coolwater; 08-26-2017, 05:31 PM.
                            “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                            Billy Sunday

Comment

I saw all the movies on theater ... For the first one, I was a kid ... Then passion came ...
                              La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Working...
                              X