Watcher Chronicles and how to view them now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watcher Chronicles and how to view them now

I can't remember who posted that they had discovered a program that could open the CD so it could be accessed. If you know how to do that can you post the secret here and have it stickied More fans have been asking on the other Highlander fan sites. It would be nice to have that info also available here.

Our beloved Nicholas Ward is the king.

It's not so much discovered a PROGRAM that could open the CD, at least in my case. Basically, what you need is a way to run Windows 3.11, because THAT is the OS that can run the CD.

DOSBox was recommended to me.
    https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php...=3210&letter=W

I found a download for windows 3.11 here.
    http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770

Here also seems to be a good blow-by-blow instruction on how to do it.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/230359/how...-16-bit-games/

Comment

Most of us old fans don't have the Watcher CD and even so it is outdated : 22 years have passed since it was created in 1998 and it concentrated on the TV series Immortals, with poorly-written and researched "bios" which were less biographies of Immortals than extrapolations of the episodes in which they appeared (dixit Donna Lettow, CD's author).

There are background informations on the series Immortals with few valid historical research, none on the movies Immortals, or on the canonical novels Immortals. We learn nothing about Immortals populations curves (how many Immortals are in the world exactly ?). Lot of in-jokes (Obelix the Gaul is the teacher of Karros ? Really ?). No proofreading, no background information on the Watchers, etc.. It is aged badly in my opinion.
      It was never updated when the Raven aired, so that means no Raven chronicles. Even Donna Lettow stated she wasn't "interesied in writing more shit about Immortals".

A frustrating read two decades later. Even I completely parted from the CD informations and did a complete rewrite of the series Immortals for the needs of my databases. My readers and co-author agree with that move.

If you want something done well... do it yourself.
      Last edited by Gardner; 07-21-2020, 01:18 AM.

Comment

If you really intend to depart from the original, stop using other people's immortals. Deciding that raped and murdered is a better way for a pre-Immortal to come into her immortality than getting hit by lightning?

Comment

I am writing original background stories for canonical Immortals, adding creative writing and historical research. I answer to no one when it comes to creative writing : in 20 years I created 3.000 Immortal characters including 1100 with help from Apollo1.

Cordially.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardner View Post
            I am writing original background stories for canonical Immortals, adding creative writing and historical research. I answer to no one when it comes to creative writing : in 20 years I created 3.000 Immortal characters including 1100 with help from Apollo1.

Cordially.
            You have created a lot, and deviated widely from Highlander. Just a little bit of tweaking, and you could probably sell your own original novel or tv series plot about clans of immortals warring secretly behind the scenes of the mortal world.
            Last edited by dubiousbystander; 07-27-2020, 09:15 PM.

Comment

They sould need to be my own characters, not those co-created with Apollo1 or other authors for reaosns of iintellectual properties.
              No more Gathering, no more Holy Grounds, no more Watchers or Hunters, none of the canonical Highlander characters whatsoever.

And then maybe I could sell my creations under hte banner of a clan war between different families of Immortals.
              Even so, I could get sued by Davis Productions for plagiarism.

G.

Comment

I don't know. They certainly didn't sue the guys who made that new movie, The Old Guard. And I read about this new comic coming out from Keanu Reeves, BRZRKR. Which I suppose means that Berserker is too common for them.

Comment

• Colleengael
                  Colleengael commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I laughed when I heard about Keanu's immortal comic book character. Paul Johansson starred in a movie called Berserker before he played Nick Wolf.

Yes well, my show would be Highlander without hte elements of Highlander lol Check Britannia from the BBC : an extended series about Celtic Brtiain warriors and druids, haf historical, half romantic, half fantasy show. An extended flashback sequence of Ceirdwyn vs Roman legion in Take Back the Night.

Comment

Working...
                X