Watcher Chronicles and how to view them now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watcher Chronicles and how to view them now

I can't remember who posted that they had discovered a program that could open the CD so it could be accessed. If you know how to do that can you post the secret here and have it stickied More fans have been asking on the other Highlander fan sites. It would be nice to have that info also available here.

Our beloved Nicholas Ward is the king.

It's not so much discovered a PROGRAM that could open the CD, at least in my case. Basically, what you need is a way to run Windows 3.11, because THAT is the OS that can run the CD.

DOSBox was recommended to me.
    https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php...=3210&letter=W

I found a download for windows 3.11 here.
    http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770

Here also seems to be a good blow-by-blow instruction on how to do it.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/230359/how...-16-bit-games/

Comment

Most of us old fans don't have the Watcher CD and even so it is outdated : 22 years have passed since it was created in 1998 and it concentrated on the TV series Immortals, with stories, while imaginative and well written were less biographies of Immortals than extrapolations of the episodes in which they appeared (dixit Donna Lettow, CD's author).

There are background informations on the series Immortals with valid historical research, none on the movies Immortals, or on the canonical novels Immortals. We learn nothing about Immortals populations curves (how many Immortals are in the world exactly ?). Lot of in-jokes (Obelix the Gaul is the teacher of Karros). Lot of backgroudn informlations on Watchers and mortals.
      It was never updated when the Raven aired, so that means no Raven chronicles. Even Donna Lettow stated she wasn't "interesied in writing more shit about Immortals".

I completely parted from the CD informations and did a complete rewrite of the series Immortals for the needs of my databases. My readers and co-author agree with that move.

Donna Lettow is to be credited and conratulated for the work she did.
      Last edited by Gardner; 11-26-2021, 05:23 AM.

Comment

If you really intend to depart from the original, stop using other people's immortals. Deciding that raped and murdered is a better way for a pre-Immortal to come into her immortality than getting hit by lightning?

Comment

I am writing original background stories for canonical Immortals, adding creative writing and historical research. I answer to no one when it comes to creative writing : in 20 years I created 3.000 Immortal characters including 1100 with help from Apollo1.

Cordially.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardner View Post
            I am writing original background stories for canonical Immortals, adding creative writing and historical research. I answer to no one when it comes to creative writing : in 20 years I created 3.000 Immortal characters including 1100 with help from Apollo1.

Cordially.
            You have created a lot, and deviated widely from Highlander. Just a little bit of tweaking, and you could probably sell your own original novel or tv series plot about clans of immortals warring secretly behind the scenes of the mortal world.
            Last edited by dubiousbystander; 07-27-2020, 09:15 PM.

Comment

They should need to be my own characters, not those co-created with Apollo1 or other authors for reaosns of iintellectual properties.No more Gathering, no more Holy Grounds, no more Watchers or Hunters, none of the canonical Highlander characters whatsoever.

And then maybe I could sell my creations under hte banner of a clan war between different families of Immortals.
              Even so, I could get sued by Davis Productions for plagiarism.

G.
              Last edited by Gardner; 11-26-2021, 05:24 AM.

Comment

I don't know. They certainly didn't sue the guys who made that new movie, The Old Guard. And I read about this new comic coming out from Keanu Reeves, BRZRKR. Which I suppose means that Berserker is too common for them.

Comment

• Colleengael
                  Colleengael commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I laughed when I heard about Keanu's immortal comic book character. Paul Johansson starred in a movie called Berserker before he played Nick Wolf.

Yes well, my show would be Highlander without hte elements of Highlander lol Check Britannia from the BBC : an extended series about Celtic Brtiain warriors and druids, haf historical, half romantic, half fantasy show. An extended flashback sequence of Ceirdwyn vs Roman legion in Take Back the Night.

Comment

Not sure if I agree with the most of us old fans don't have the Watcher CD comment as that was a widely sold item back in the day that most die hard fans picked up and even with the time gap it is still very much relevant in terms of back history on them up to a point. As for running it I personally use Virtualbox myself and boot up a copy of Windows 98 in order to view mine. I owned the original Watcher Chronicles CD before they came out with The New Watcher Chronicles and after a house fire that happened several years ago I had lost it and at the time wasn't sure where to find a copy of it anymore. I got hooked up with an ISO of the new one and to be honest I was actually disappointed in it because it was missing information the original version had if I remember right. Like some files on immortals from the movies such as The Kurgan for example. Plus I just liked the lay out better. Don't suppose anyone knows if there is a downloadable ISO of the original CD still in existence on an adbandonware site or something out there is there? Anyway thanks in advance. Stay safe all.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                    dubiousbystander commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I finally got the original running, but it does not seem to have the Kurgan. awe!

Originally posted by KOOLLAYDTAC View Post
                  I got hooked up with an ISO of the new one and to be honest I was actually disappointed in it because it was missing information the original version had if I remember right. Like some files on immortals from the movies such as The Kurgan for example. Plus I just liked the lay out better. Don't suppose anyone knows if there is a downloadable ISO of the original CD still in existence on an adbandonware site or something out there is there? Anyway thanks in advance. Stay safe all.
                  Well now I want the ISO of the original, too! Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post

Well now I want the ISO of the original, too! Nice!
                    Well I have The New Watcher Chronicles ISO not The Watcher Chronicles original first edition. That's actually the one I am still looking for mate. I can upload the one I have for you to Google drive if you want or need that one though. I'll be more then happy to hook you up mate.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh I'm okay. I have that one. Thank you so much for the offer!

Also I am going to add this for those interested. I hope this is OK to do. It may or may not be relevant to the conversation and topic at hand.

I ran across this site a while back that also has a copy of The New Watcher Chronicles as well too.
                    https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/hig...her-chronicles

This is their guide on emulation.
                    https://macintoshgarden.org/guides

To my understanding you need to use some program called StuffIt Expander to extract the contents of the ISO which can be found here at this site.
                    https://www.stuffit.com/

Since I haven't vetted these sites personally I would urge anyone to use caution when visiting or downloading files from any new web site. I just know it's pulled up in my searches over the years when looking for the original first edition copy online. The site seems legit, but like with anything online I'd just be careful mates. Hope this helps and good luck.

And before while I am thinking about it. I'll probably upload my copy to Gmail later on today or tonight. So since I don't really know the Gmail rules when it comes to sharing that sort of thing given how old the software is I am thinking I probably shouldn't have it on public access so if anyone wants my copy just hit me up in PM's with your Gmail so I can add you to the download access list and you will be all set. Thanks in advance. Take care and safe mates.

Comment

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...gAS6tj76VzzWvR

May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Hi,

I have a question please for anyone that owns the original Watcher Chronicles CD-ROM. I own the New Watcher Chronicles and have it running under Win 3.1 using DosBox. However, it only contains the immortals from the series, barely any from the movies. I now read somewhere that the original Watcher Chronicles at least contain "classic" immortals such as The Kurgan too. I can't find an iso of the orginal chronicles anywhere online and am thinking about buying it on ebay. However, my question is: Is it really worth the investment? Do the original Watcher Chronicles really include the Kurgan etc? Can anyone here verify this?

PS Ofc, if someone has the original chronicles and would be willing to upload an iso somewhere for me (like on mega or fileshare), I would also be very grateful

Comment

I don't want to get on people's nerves by bumping this, but it was one of the main reasons I signed up here, because I wanted to ask this particular question. So, I'll give it one more attempt

Comment

I don't have it on this computer. I'll try and have a look when I get home in about 7 hours.

Comment

I don't have it on this computer. I'll try and have a look when I get home in about 7 hours.
                              Thank you, that would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by lightcraver View Post

Thank you, that would be much appreciated
                                Naturally it took me a lot longer than I intended, but I'm looking now. That would appear to be an old wives' tale. The Kurgan's chronicle entry exists only in The Watchers, the first episode of Season 1. Drat.

Comment

Naturally it took me a lot longer than I intended, but I'm looking now. That would appear to be an old wives' tale. The Kurgan's chronicle entry exists only in The Watchers, the first episode of Season 1. Drat.
                                  Thanks. But what do you mean with "exists only in The Watchers"? I'm only familiar with the two CD-Roms, the Chronicles and the New Chronicles......

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                                    Editing a comment
                                    The first episode of Season 2, The Watchers, directed by the wonderful Clay Borris!
                                Working...
                                X