Is it too late for a "Highlander 6"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late for a "Highlander 6"?

What do you think? It's been 10 years since "The Source" came out at this point (and how about that? whoa). Sure, there's a remake coming out theatrically, but is it too late for a Highlander 6 for the existing fandom? Let's assume it'd be direct-to-video, and it's some kind of Duncan, Amanda, and Methos reunion. Maybe it's even the end of the Game. Budget is low, but the story works around that.

Do you think it would be successful, and would this be something you'd want to see? What shape should it take?
    I want to see it, and it should be a direct sequel to the Source
    0%
    I want to see it, and it should be a loose sequel to the Source
    5.88%
    I want to see it, and it should completely ignore the Source
    41.18%
    I want to see it, but I want it to be like this _____________
    5.88%
    I want to see it, I don't care what it's like as long as we get the end of everyone's story
    11.76%
    I don't want to see it/it's been too long
    35.29%
    Highlander: Dark Places

I'm thinking a little bit too much time has passed to pull this off and make it believable. They've just aged too much.

Comment

It's really hard to say. I'm not sure where the funding for it would come from given that everyone is set on the remake. One sort of positive thing I can say is that the actors from the series certainly don't look as bad as Lambert did in Endgame. So if you find that acceptable I guess their age really shouldn't be an issue. If they did make it I'd like to see Duncan win the Prize or something, since you know for sure that this is the last we'll ever see of this particular Highlander universe. So obviously I'd retcon the Source.
      Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

Originally posted by Elskidor
        I'm thinking a little bit too much time has passed to pull this off and make it believable. They've just aged too much.
        Originally posted by David McMurdo View Post
        It's really hard to say. I'm not sure where the funding for it would come from given that everyone is set on the remake. One sort of positive thing I can say is that the actors from the series certainly don't look as bad as Lambert did in Endgame. So if you find that acceptable I guess their age really shouldn't be an issue. If they did make it I'd like to see Duncan win the Prize or something, since you know for sure that this is the last we'll ever see of this particular Highlander universe. So obviously I'd retcon the Source.
        I saw Adrian and Lizzie as recently as December in Florida... they're really looking great for their age. A bit of makeup, they could definitely pull it off.

I can't speak to Mr. Wingfield, but then I haven't seen him since around 2010, 2011.

Comment

I'd be totally down for that, They do look a bit older, but not in a bad way, I would really prefer they disregard The Source, A bad dream! Things should have ended on a higher note, they still could, but obviously budget would be heavily reduced. But approached correctly, I'd like to think it's something Fans would get behind.

I personally don't expect it to happen, but if it were to, I don't see it happening unless there is a demand from the Fans, and that it's a sure thing Fans would pay to see it, there are variables that My Mind can't even begin to grasp, but when you get to the heart of it, there has got to be a strong demand.

We live in a time when the Fans can have a bigger influence on things, People would have to really want it

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter76 View Post
            I'd be totally down for that, They do look a bit older, but not in a bad way, I would really prefer they disregard The Source, A bad dream! Things should have ended on a higher note, they still could, but obviously budget would be heavily reduced. But approached correctly, I'd like to think it's something Fans would get behind.

I personally don't expect it to happen, but if it were to, I don't see it happening unless there is a demand from the Fans, and that it's a sure thing Fans would pay to see it, there are variables that My Mind can't even begin to grasp, but when you get to the heart of it, there has got to be a strong demand.

We live in a time when the Fans can have a bigger influence on things, People would have to really want it
            Some kind of petition and crowdfunding then? It could be pitched to the stars as a way to cap the whole thing off properly. They all seem to have a genuine fondness for the series, so you never know. None of them liked the Source either.
            Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

Well... it has been too long, though The Source provides a ready-made solution to the aging issue, if we claim that they all were turned mortal, and Duncan and Anna's son is the last Immortal. The One. Wasn't Amanda on Duncan's list of known dead?

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
                Wasn't Amanda on Duncan's list of known dead?
                She was not, no.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                  dubiousbystander commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a relief! Thank you!

I'd like to see a reboot sequel. Where it takes place in the series universe after the events of the Reunion episode. You have an adventure type movie
                but instead of the overtop action sequences and fancy visual effects, you make the general focus be on the characters. You introduce new villains and maybe some new watchers. I want to see Connor MacLeod depicted as he was in the series. If you think hes too old to be doing any fight sequences, then you can just portray him as the Elder Highlander. Similar to Mortal Kombat, where he didnt have a single fight, but he was depicted as a badass and he was fun to watch.
                The idea is simply to establish where the characters are now and who they are after all this time since the series last episode. To get the audience reacquainted with each character. To have Connor MacLeod interact with the series characters. To show flashbacks of Connor interacting with Fitz, Amanda, Methos, etc. To basically fill in the gaps of the timeline and visit points in time that havent been shown on the series or the films.
                You end the film with leaving it open for more stories but giving some finality to it.
                With Connor you could do how they did with the Fast and Furious films.You give him a proper send off without having to kill the character. It lacks impact but it keeps fans from enduring an unsatisfying conclusion to the character. The guy has had too many bad films, you gotta use him to great effect if its gonna be his last on screen performance.
                It has to be a Connor and Duncan movie. Need a villain that is dark and charismatic and has some depth.

The details go on and on , but that is the kind of sequel I want to see be made. I dont want a remake, I have not enjoyed a single remake in the past 13 years. Not one has outshined the original.
                A reboot with the same actors is what this franchise needs in order to have a resurgence. It worked for Star Wars. It can work for Highlander.
                Have this Highlander 6 be a grand finale for the two MacLeods. Have Highlander 7 be an introduction to new immortals that will carry on the franchise. You pepper in Joe Dawson, Methos, Amanda, Nick, (and any other immortal that had a lasting impression from the series). That will make it flow better. You have Highlander 8 be about the new characters facing some other kind of dilemma. Maybe have them being hunted by renegade watchers that have finally risen to continue what Horton started. Could have a setting like The Purge, where immortals are getting slaughtered and hunted thru the streets, alleyways, etc.

Have Highlander 9 be a different kind of movie. I mean there are directions to take the franchise that dont involve an oncoming apocalypse or over exaggerated sci-fi tropes.
                Power to the Donut!

Comment

Originally posted by Donut View Post
                  I'd like to see a reboot sequel. Where it takes place in the series universe after the events of the Reunion episode. You have an adventure type movie
                  but instead of the overtop action sequences and fancy visual effects, you make the general focus be on the characters. You introduce new villains and maybe some new watchers. I want to see Connor MacLeod depicted as he was in the series. If you think hes too old to be doing any fight sequences, then you can just portray him as the Elder Highlander. Similar to Mortal Kombat, where he didnt have a single fight, but he was depicted as a badass and he was fun to watch.
                  The idea is simply to establish where the characters are now and who they are after all this time since the series last episode. To get the audience reacquainted with each character. To have Connor MacLeod interact with the series characters. To show flashbacks of Connor interacting with Fitz, Amanda, Methos, etc. To basically fill in the gaps of the timeline and visit points in time that havent been shown on the series or the films.
                  You end the film with leaving it open for more stories but giving some finality to it.
                  With Connor you could do how they did with the Fast and Furious films.You give him a proper send off without having to kill the character. It lacks impact but it keeps fans from enduring an unsatisfying conclusion to the character. The guy has had too many bad films, you gotta use him to great effect if its gonna be his last on screen performance.
                  It has to be a Connor and Duncan movie. Need a villain that is dark and charismatic and has some depth.

The details go on and on , but that is the kind of sequel I want to see be made. I dont want a remake, I have not enjoyed a single remake in the past 13 years. Not one has outshined the original.
                  A reboot with the same actors is what this franchise needs in order to have a resurgence. It worked for Star Wars. It can work for Highlander.
                  Have this Highlander 6 be a grand finale for the two MacLeods. Have Highlander 7 be an introduction to new immortals that will carry on the franchise. You pepper in Joe Dawson, Methos, Amanda, Nick, (and any other immortal that had a lasting impression from the series). That will make it flow better. You have Highlander 8 be about the new characters facing some other kind of dilemma. Maybe have them being hunted by renegade watchers that have finally risen to continue what Horton started. Could have a setting like The Purge, where immortals are getting slaughtered and hunted thru the streets, alleyways, etc.

Have Highlander 9 be a different kind of movie. I mean there are directions to take the franchise that dont involve an oncoming apocalypse or over exaggerated sci-fi tropes.
                  You've got to think, "what can they shoot on a direct-to-video budget?" I think it's possible. A compelling angle in the present with Duncan, Amanda and Methos, a villain that has been around for quite a while... flashbacks to Duncan seeking Connor's advice, encountering the villain throughout time, eons ago, Methos offering his own flashback to encountering the same villain 3000 years ago, etc..

I would really like to have 1 Highlander movie where Duncan's only love interest is Amanda.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lambert.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1510

Hehehehehehe!

Comment

Just, please, not another one of those "Phenomenal cosmic powers, itty-bitty living space" villains.

Comment

I like the over the top villains of the Highlander Universe. I'd be down for a highlander 6, even if it was in another format than a movie.
                        May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
                          I like the over the top villains of the Highlander Universe. I'd be down for a highlander 6, even if it was in another format than a movie.
                          Like a graphic novel? Click image for larger version

Name:	12171447_10206886883464501_752598775_o.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	4271

Comment

Maybe they could dust off the old idea of a new group of immortals being born as an aging Connor MacLeod looks over them. Perhaps the producers could even bribe Roxanne Hart into coming back, both because Brenda has been treated like dirt by the franchise and because we have to uphold the grand tradition of the sequels ignoring the other sequels. No mention of anything Series-related, of course. Duncan's story is over, anyway.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                            --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

That would be nifty... and maybe these new Immortals could prove to be reborn... the old Immortals, only without memory and thus perhaps they can become better people! Or worse... Connor trying to keep secrets, like about Quickenings...

Comment

I don't want to see any sort of continuation. But what I would like to see is a rebroadcast of HL:TS. Not a reboot with a new cast (horrible thought!), but a rebroadcast of the original, to win a new generation of fans. Sure, some parts of it were better than others. Maybe most of Season 6 could be scrapped. But the show as a whole is better than anything I'm seeing now!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Like a graphic novel? Click image for larger version

Name:	12171447_10206886883464501_752598775_o.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	4271
                                  Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Wilusa View Post
                                    I don't want to see any sort of continuation. But what I would like to see is a rebroadcast of HL:TS. Not a reboot with a new cast (horrible thought!), but a rebroadcast of the original, to win a new generation of fans. Sure, some parts of it were better than others. Maybe most of Season 6 could be scrapped.
                                    Just start out the new show with a montage of Duncan fighting Ahriman, killing Richie on accident, then defeating Ahriman, then have Richie snapping him out of it.

Comment

For Highlander 6, they'd need another phenomenon or another immortal with a K to overcome.

Comment

I think a Highlander 6 could work, it all depends on how it's handled. It probably shouldn't be called "Highlander 6" since most of the movies don't really form a solid continuity with each other. It would probably need to reintroduce the audience to the premise of the saga, but that can be done. And, it doesn't need to be a big expensive movie. Although the concept of Immortals competing with each other over the course of human history is a rather epic concept, the specific story being told in this movie can be small and intimate. The Highlander saga has always focused on individuals who are part of this thing that is bigger than they are. The main story of Highlander the movie is the story of Connor Macleod. The main story of Highlander: The Series is the story of Duncan Macleod.

I'd love to see this be a continuation of the continuity created by The Series, because overall it was so well-done and had room for further expansion. The world that it created still has possibilities for the future, while also offering a rich past to draw from. And, I'd like to see old characters return, but I'm not afraid of recasting either. The characters are immortal but the actors sadly aren't, so if need be I'm not against recasting characters as long as the choices to fill those shoes are good ones.

And, I'm all for ignoring The Source. I didn't care for it at all. I could even be persuaded to ignore Endgame, although I think it's a decent movie.

Admittedly, I'd like to see something like this serve as more than just one last ride for old characters. I'd like to see it lay ground work for future stories. It could not only reunite us with old favorites, but it could also introduce us to new characters who can carry the torch afterwards.

Comment

Yes, the time for numericals in the titles is long gone. For a variety of reasons.

Comment

Let the Highlander rest in peace ... sort of ...
                                            La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Working...
                                            X