Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Darius' death staged?

There are some strange occurences surrounding Darius' death:

1) Darius was a well known, old immortal, teacher of many other immortals.
    Why would he be targeted by the hunters? He'd be no threat nor would he have been a priority.

2) It was remarked there had been a hell of a fight, which would be very strange for a holy man.
    Did he have a last minute change of heart? That seems vey unlikely, unless his holy man routine was a façade.

3) Why would the Hunters leave the body on holy ground?
    If they were to hide their actions, the least they could've done was move the body outside the church.
    Then at least they could contribute the murder to another immortal.

4) Darius was well aware of the watchers and even had a chronicle in his possession.
    He didn't steal it, after all he didn't seem to leave holy ground. So either it must have been given to him or he was allowed to use it.
    Maybe he actively collaborated with the watchers in an attempt to secure safety for other immortals, to provide sanctuary when needed?

Upon review Darius' death doesn't seem as clear cut as it seems....
    Last edited by Nicholas Ward; 08-06-2020, 04:58 PM.
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Hi Nicholas!

I suppose it does after six years of the series, but at the time the episode was written the Watchers did not know that Immortals just do not take heads on Holy Ground. Joe was clueless. Whether or not Darius fought, it's easy to assume that if he didn't, Horton and his Hunters went to a bit of trouble to make it look like it was just an Immortal fight.

I'd agree on point 4 100%.

I also like to theorize that Darius and Methos knew each other well. Methos might have told Darius about the Watchers, and even given him that journal. With the zip-code to the bookstore written in there, it's clear that Darius was up to date, and had probably asked about Mac's Watcher. It would also be great if the super-secret was that Darius was never killed. That Horton secreted him away and left a body of about the right size, another priest or even someone random he grabbed. That would line up with the later business with Lisa. It would be in character. He tried to use Darius to hunt other Immortals, or give him information. But Darius got away or just refused until Horton killed him a fit of pique.

Comment

The problem with this is that, though unseen by viewers since it was early 90's network TV, Darius's head was there on the ground with his body. Think about it. Duncan had no question it was him, but if there had been no head, he would've at least mentioned that to Fitz. So yeah, I can't buy into this idea at all. Sorry.

Comment

I can easily agree that it was staged. Not in that he wasn't beheaded and left there to rot, but in that Horton and his men tried to make it look like an Immortal fight and Quickening.

Comment

I honestly think the idea that he wouldn't struggle against attackers is a stretch.

Being a pacifist and being willing to die are two very different things. He didn't want to die. He didn't need to die. He wanted to do good, and thus avoided the only danger he foresaw, but just because he didn't want to fight doesn't mean that he wouldn't if he had to. Some mortals came in and attacked him. He may have tried to avoid killing them, but there being a struggle is believable.

Beyond Darius himself, since when did the Hunters try to hide their involvement? These are the same people who cut off an immortals head in front of another to force them to take the quickening of a loved one. These aren't people who are concerned with what immortals think happened, They just want to kill them all. And that's why he was targeted, too. He was an immortal.

If anything, his refusal to leave holy ground just made him an easy target.

Comment

Takk, I agree Darius probably did fight them. As to making it look like an Immortal took him, I think they were hiding it from other Watchers. Jacob and Irena's Watcher was murdered, I think, in the Chronicles. Though I think also it was kept in the air whether by Horton and his people, or by Jacob. Trying to keep under the Watchers' radar, I think that's also why they were keeping an eye on Joe Dawson. At least, that's what Mac said he thought was going on. Those men not following him, but watching Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Takk View Post
              I honestly think the idea that he wouldn't struggle against attackers is a stretch.

Being a pacifist and being willing to die are two very different things. He didn't want to die. He didn't need to die. He wanted to do good, and thus avoided the only danger he foresaw, but just because he didn't want to fight doesn't mean that he wouldn't if he had to. Some mortals came in and attacked him. He may have tried to avoid killing them, but there being a struggle is believable.

Beyond Darius himself, since when did the Hunters try to hide their involvement? These are the same people who cut off an immortals head in front of another to force them to take the quickening of a loved one. These aren't people who are concerned with what immortals think happened, They just want to kill them all. And that's why he was targeted, too. He was an immortal.

If anything, his refusal to leave holy ground just made him an easy target.
              They might not hide it from other immortals but would need to hide it from the watchers for they'd be executed for interfering in the Game as per the rules of the watcher organisation.
              May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Working...
              X