Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Highlander Universe exist without a supreme supernatural being?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the Highlander Universe exist without a supreme supernatural being?

Yes, there is a reasonable explanation for immortality, Quickenings and the rules of the Game.
    50.00%
    No, immortality, Quickenings and the rules of the Game require a supernatural force to work.
    50.00%
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Though that might depend. Is supernatural as in magic, or is supernatural as in advanced tech that lesser peoples believe is magic? I do not believe they can be a natural product of evolution.

Comment

I think there CAN be an explanation for the Game without a supernatural force. But I think that's the easier and maybe the "cleaner" way to go about it.
      Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
        I think there CAN be an explanation for the Game without a supernatural force. But I think that's the easier and maybe the "cleaner" way to go about it.
        Cleaner is not exactly the word I'd use... but anything would possibly be a deus ex machina. Speaking of which, I'd like to drive you up the wall discussing one of my versions!

Comment

I’m sure Highlander can exist without a supreme being, but if I’m being completely honest I prefer it with one. That’s just how I like my fictional worlds. He/She/It should probably stay mysterious, unknowable, and in the background, but at least the possibility that it exists should be there.
          Last edited by Darth Reaper; 07-30-2023, 05:57 PM.

Comment

We can always go with the new BSG version. "Don't call me god," an extra-dimensional being repeatedly trying to force a fusion of artificial and biological humans.

Comment

Or, we could say that The Source is a living thing, with a will of it’s own and it’s own goals. and is responsible for Immortals.

But, like I said before, I like to keep God in there somewhere.

And, I prefer to think of Immortals as being based in some kind of magic rather than science fiction. It just appeals to me more.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Reaper View Post
                Or, we could say that The Source is a living thing, with a will of it’s own and it’s own goals. and is responsible for Immortals.

But, like I said before, I like to keep God in there somewhere.

And, I prefer to think of Immortals as being based in some kind of magic rather than science fiction. It just appeals to me more.
                I think the Source might indeed be a living thing of sorts. It tosses out a bunch of seedlings, lets the plants feed off each other to mature, eats the ones that die without getting fed off by others. It's waiting for the fattest, tastiest pumpkin.

Incidentally, having Immortals born randomly from mortals moves to sci-fi rather than magic.

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post

I think the Source might indeed be a living thing of sorts. It tosses out a bunch of seedlings, lets the plants feed off each other to mature, eats the ones that die without getting fed off by others. It's waiting for the fattest, tastiest pumpkin.
                  That’s...one way to look at it.

Incidentally, having Immortals born randomly from mortals moves to sci-fi rather than magic.
                  I don’t know about that. It doesn’t matter if Immortals are born to mortal parents; if the power that makes them Immortal is mystical, they are inherently mystical beings.

In ‘The Omen’, the fact that Damian’s parents were regular human beings doesn’t change the fact that he’s The Anti-Christ. They provided the flesh, but The Devil provided the soul.

Comment

Working...
                  X