X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post

Assimilation into the collective as a Prize? I doubt that's what immortals think they are probably chasing...
    I wouldn't think it's Assimilation. I think the collective becomes governed by the final Immortal. "You are generations being born and dying."

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Of a controllable kind... maybe. Or maybe you just become the amalgamation of all of those Immortals as a person... with computer-like access to all of the individual memories, too.
    Also, if that would be the case, it wouldn't matter really who won the Game would it? The endresult would always be the same.

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied

Of a controllable kind... maybe. Or maybe you just become the amalgamation of all of those Immortals as a person... with computer-like access to all of the individual memories, too.
    Assimilation into the collective as a Prize? I doubt that's what immortals think they are probably chasing...

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    replied

So the Prize is either dissociative identity disorder or schizophrenia?

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied

That's what I think it is, or should be.

If there's only two Immortals left, each one would have about half of all of the Immortals there ever were. Perhaps when there is only one, that information and "data" becomes completely unlocked to them, imbuing the victor with... maybe not prescience or omniscience... but certainly in full control of all the amassed Quickenings (even the second, third fourthhand ones) within them.
    So the Prize is either dissociative identity disorder or schizophrenia?

Originally posted by Chaotic Scholar View Post
    I consider The Series and Endgame, Earth 2, and Quickening and SFV apocryphal. The Source is just garbage :-P
    A solid basis for longtime fandom.

BTW: The One might be a highlander movie...

Leave a comment:

• Chaotic Scholar
    replied
    I consider The Series and Endgame, Earth 2, and Quickening and SFV apocryphal. The Source is just garbage :-P

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    replied
    Maybe all knowledge of all immortals become accessible when an immortal wins the prize?
    That's what I think it is, or should be.

If there's only two Immortals left, each one would have about half of all of the Immortals there ever were. Perhaps when there is only one, that information and "data" becomes completely unlocked to them, imbuing the victor with... maybe not prescience or omniscience... but certainly in full control of all the amassed Quickenings (even the second, third fourthhand ones) within them.

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied

That would make for an interesting immortal. One who seeks to defeat specific targets in order to access their gained knowledge. Did Kane find a way to complete his training before he took Nakano's head?

HL-TAS somewhat expanded on this topic as well although Quentin's never showed any comprehension of the Quickenings he gained.
    Cross-topic: Because this discussion touches on a similar concept

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied
    Originally posted by Aleander View Post
    Um.. Immortals died when they die. If their imprints on life, and impressions of thereof are imparted to the victor, so be it. But its not the same to say someone's life experience and essence is apparent in them and "he lives in them". That's just nonsense.

Also, I had the impression the Prize in the first film was whatever the victor wanted it to be.
    Then how do you explain the Alec Hill arc, William Culbraith's Quickening and Jacob Kell asking Connor about wanting to be inside him?

It's fairly explicitly stated imo.

Maybe all knowledge of all immortals become accessible when an immortal wins the prize?

If the Prize is what the victor wants it to be then more movies would fit together.

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    commented on 's reply
    Heeheeehee Hm. Must make this long enough. I like it, Tootsie!

• Coolwater
    replied
    Apparently!

Leave a comment:

• Tootsie Bee
    commented on 's reply
    I'm sure playing one on TV is lucrative, though. Certainly enough to make someone turn down Highlander III: The Remakening.

• Coolwater
    replied
    Lucrative nursing job... now there is an outlandish concept.

Leave a comment:

• Aleander
    replied
    Um.. Immortals died when they die. If their imprints on life, and impressions of thereof are imparted to the victor, so be it. But its not the same to say someone's life experience and essence is apparent in them and "he lives in them". That's just nonsense.

Also, I had the impression the Prize in the first film was whatever the victor wanted it to be.

Leave a comment:

• Tootsie Bee
    commented on 's reply
    Of course, the truth is that Brenda got a lucrative nursing job at Chicago Hope and dumped that mopey immortal.

• dubiousbystander
    commented on 's reply
    I think they were taking that "Just one year of love" a little too literally.

• Tootsie Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
    If I'm going to sacrifice eternal youth, there'd better be a better pay off than Connor got.
    He got to grow old together with the woman he loved. Wait: never mind. She died in every sequel.

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied
    Their personal traits manifest through morphing their body or as an illusion: Alec Hill through Richie, Connor through Duncan, Kurgan through a mirror with Connor and in Dark places they straight up take over and manifest as disembodies entities. That's not influencing, that's having their own personal Quickening space within their conqueror.

Leave a comment:

• Coolwater
    replied
    I dunno, Nicholas. Their personalities have influence on the absorbing person, but I wouldn't call that living.

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied
    Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
    Gentlemen, if becoming the One would cause you to lose your immortality, would you do it? I don't think getting old would be compensated for by omniscience and power unless you could permanently fix the problems of the universe. Or, to put it another way, if I'm going to sacrifice eternal youth, there'd better be a better pay off than Connor got.
    Immortals 'live on' inside their victor (acknowledged in the series, comics, Endgame and Dark Places) so the Prize might just be worthwhile even if it means becoming mortal.

Leave a comment:

• Coolwater
    replied
    Gentlemen, if becoming the One would cause you to lose your immortality, would you do it? I don't think getting old would be compensated for by omniscience and power unless you could permanently fix the problems of the universe. Or, to put it another way, if I'm going to sacrifice eternal youth, there'd better be a better pay off than Connor got.

Leave a comment:

• Tootsie Bee
    replied
    No. Brenda Wyatt's death by solar radiation in 1995 is essential to the plot of Highlander II, but Highlander III insisted on a new love interest for Connor in 1994. If not for that one issue, you could aaaalmost fudge it and say that the ozone layer problems dramatically increased over a single year, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied
    Can III be considered a prequel to II in your opinion then?

Leave a comment:

• Tootsie Bee
    replied
    The Prize still requires all the Quickenings pooled into one.
    The films never say any such thing. In fact, the Quickening was a drastically different concept in the first two movies. It was the "kind of magic" itself.

Therefore with Highlander II, Connor didn't win the Prize(s) either.
    Except he did, by the movie's own perspective. That's what differentiates it from the third film, which explicitly says that he didn't win the Prize.

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied
    Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
    For all intents and purposes, they would be "dead" from the time they transported through time until 2024. It's not as if they were hanging out in a cave somewhere. They literally didn't exist for most of human history. (And obviously there was only so much the filmmakers could do to rewrite their film in 1995 after having gone with the Zeist idea originally. The alien thing was stupid, but it made more sense. The Prize was always Earth-bound.)
    The Prize still requires all the Quickenings pooled into one. Therefore with Highlander II, Connor didn't win the Prize(s) either, yet was somehow able to utilise the Quickening of Reno and Corda to revive Ramírez.

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
    Oooh, I have one! The asteroid hit Earth and all of the Immortals died, because everyone lost heads and bodies! Hahahahahah! AND... and since there was no one to take the prize, the Quickenings pooled, created The Source, which distributes Quickenings all over the world that appear as babies, who grow up to be the men... and women... they once were... in no particular order, just whenever there's enough of one distilled to recreate the individual... And so the Immortal who gets to the Source will only be accepted if he or she is the one that wants to create life, because The Source's purpose is to restore the Immortals... ooooh. I think I've got it.
    Asteroid hitting? Immortal Dinosaurs! :P

Interesting though to have the Source not be an origin but a consequence of a major immortal disaster.
    From Atlantis to Zeist, that actually opens possibilities. (Highlander 6: Origins anyone?)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X