Continuity Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuity Chart

For some silly reason, I have chosen to put together a guide to the franchise's continuity. Rather than trying to make distinct timelines, I decided to treat every iteration of the Highlander saga by itself, listing the other stories it directly acknowledges, the stories that don't fit with it, and the stories that possibly could fit with it. If a certain work is compatible with two works that are incompatible with each other (for instance, the six seasons of Highlander: The Series are technically compatible with both The Animated Series and Endgame), that flexibility is reflected in the chart. So too, I have distinguished two particular works from their associated media: I have treated The Element of Fire separately from the other TV series tie-in novels because of its unique content, and I have distinguished Way of the Sword from other comics published by Dynamite due to internal inconsistencies. I've approached The Final Dimension on its own standalone terms in most cases, but I do note that the Dynamite comics may consider the film canonical to their stories. The original film doesn't get an entry because it's compatible with everything, either on its own or via the TV show's retcon of its ending.

Work Acknowledged Works Incompatible Works Compatible Works
    Highlander II: The Quickening Highlander The Series; The Animated Series; The Final Dimension; Series novels; The Raven; Endgame; Dynamite; The Search for Vengeance; The Source; Reunion; Big Finish; The American Dream The Element of Fire; Way of the Sword
    Highlander: The Series Highlander*

*(retcon--no Prize)
    The Quickening; The Final Dimension*; The American Dream

*(but see retcon precedent)
    The Animated Series; The Element of Fire; Series novels; The Raven; Endgame; Dynamite; The Search for Vengeance; The Source; Way of the Sword; Reunion; Big Finish
    Highlander: The Animated Series none The Quickening; The Final Dimension*; Endgame; Dynamite; The Source; Big Finish; The American Dream*

Highlander*; The Series; The Element of Fire; Series novels; The Raven; The Search for Vengeance; Way of the Sword; Reunion

*(retcon--no Prize)
    Highlander: The Final Dimension Highlander The Quickening; The Series*; The Animated Series*; Series novels*; The Raven*; Endgame; The Search for Vengeance*; The Source*; Reunion*; Big Finish*

The Element of Fire; Dynamite*; Way of the Sword; The American Dream

*(possible retcon--no Prize)
    Highlander: The Element of Fire Highlander; The Quickening; The Series Endgame*; Way of the Sword; The American Dream

*(minor inconsistency)
    The Animated Series; The Final Dimension; Series novels; The Raven; Dynamite; The Search for Vengeance; The Source; Reunion; Big Finish
    Highlander novel series The Series The Quickening; The Final Dimension*; The American Dream*

Highlander*; The Animated Series; The Element of Fire; Endgame; Dynamite; The Search for Vengeance; The Source; Way of the Sword; Reunion; Big Finish

*(retcon--no Prize)
    Highlander: The Raven and Reunion The Series The Quickening; The Final Dimension*; The American Dream*

Highlander*; The Animated Series; The Element of Fire; Series novels; Endgame; Dynamite; The Search for Vengeance; The Source; Way of the Sword; Big Finish

*(retcon--no Prize)
    Highlander: Endgame Highlander*; The Series**

*(retcon--no Prize)

**(retcon--Kate)
    The Quickening; The Animated Series; The Final Dimension; The Element of Fire*; The American Dream**

*(minor inconsistency)

**(but see retcon precedent)
    Series novels; The Raven; Dynamite; The Search for Vengeance; The Source; Way of the Sword; Reunion; Big Finish
    Highlander comics by Dynamite (Vol. 1-3 and Origins: Kurgan) Highlander*; The Series; The Final Dimension**; Endgame

*(retcon--no Prize)

**(possible retcon--no Prize)
    The Quickening; The Animated Series; Way of the Sword; The American Dream The Element of Fire; Series novels; The Raven; The Search for Vengeance; The Source; Reunion; Big Finish
    Highlander: The Search for Vengeance none The Quickening; The Final Dimension*; The American Dream*

Highlander*; The Series; The Animated Series; The Element of Fire; Series novels; The Raven; Endgame; Dynamite; Way of the Sword; Reunion; Big Finish

*(retcon--no Prize)
    Highlander: The Source The Series*; Endgame

*(retcon--Kate)
    The Quickening; The Animated Series; The Final Dimension*; The Search for Vengeance; The American Dream*

Highlander; The Element of Fire; Series novels; The Raven; Dynamite; Way of the Sword; Reunion; Big Finish

*(retcon--no Prize)
    Highlander: Way of the Sword Highlander The Element of Fire; Dynamite; The American Dream The Quickening; The Series; The Animated Series; The Final Dimension; Series novels; The Raven; Endgame; The Search for Vengeance; The Source; Reunion; Big Finish
    Highlander audio dramas by Big Finish Highlander*; The Series; Endgame

*(retcon--no Prize)
    The Quickening; The Animated Series; The Final Dimension*; The American Dream*

The Element of Fire; Series novels; The Raven; Dynamite; The Search for Vengeance; The Source; Way of the Sword; Reunion
    Highlander: The American Dream Highlander The Quickening; The Series; The Animated Series*; The Element of Fire; Series novels*; The Raven*; Endgame*; Dynamite; The Search for Vengeance*; The Source*; Way of the Sword; Reunion*; Big Finish*

The Final Dimension
    Last edited by Tootsie Bee; 07-30-2017, 06:50 PM.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

I think The American Dream would fit in perfectly with Highlander II, as well.

Comment

• Tootsie Bee
      Tootsie Bee commented
      Editing a comment
      You'd have to ignore a line of dialogue in TAD about Connor staying in Europe from the end of the American Civil War until after World War II. It's not the biggest detail, but since the comic emphasizes Connor's disillusionment with the United States after the war, I consider it a notable discrepancy.

• dubiousbystander
      dubiousbystander commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah! Of course!

Um, Way of the Sword conflicts with the Dynamite main series, though. And probably EOF, too.

Comment

• Tootsie Bee
      Tootsie Bee commented
      Editing a comment
      That's why they're in the "incompatible" category for WOTS. And yes, in EOF, Duncan mentions that Connor uses Ramirez's sword when Connor scolds him about failing to use an alias.

• Andrew NDB
      Andrew NDB commented
      Editing a comment
      Although "Highlander Origins: The Kurgan" directly references events from WotS.

There are also several problems inherent in the audio drama stories, regardless of how well done they are. Oh, you should try Roger Bellon's Highlander Celtic Opera! It will fit in with NOTHING.

Comment

• Tootsie Bee
      Tootsie Bee commented
      Editing a comment
      I nearly mentioned that one, but it's so utterly not a real part of the franchise that I didn't bother.

• dubiousbystander
      dubiousbystander commented
      Editing a comment
      I know! I enjoy some of the songs, though. giggling

Toots, I am too amazed to comment. (Enjoy that while it lasts.)
    “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
    Billy Sunday

Comment

I hope this gets updated with Highlander: Dark Places and Highlander: The Watcher, Highlander: Hans Kirschner, Highlander: Bad Watcher and Highlander: Reunion!
      May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

She's got Reunion in there. If only we had enough information to put The Letters!

Comment

Working...
        X