Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are 2nd (or 3rd, etc.) hand Quickenings less effective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 2nd (or 3rd, etc.) hand Quickenings less effective?

Are they? Like, is Ramirez's Quickening inside Duncan less potent because it's been passed to him by Connor and the Kurgan, or just the same? And why?
    They are!
    16.67%
    They aren't!
    83.33%
    Highlander: Dark Places

I don't think they would be less effective as far as power gains are concerned, but I would argue that Connor's transfer to Duncan shows us that the memories mined, at least initially, are surface level to the beheaded. One might be able to meditate and conjure up the memories of all the quickenings within them, whether taken directly or not, but we never get to see that happen, so we can't be sure. In regards to power gains, though, I would think its all there, as it was part of the beheaded. It may take awhile to learn how to utilize them, or may even require similar meditations to conjure specific things up, but I would think its all there.

Comment

My impression from the movies and TV show is that they are not less effective. Quickenings are like a pyramid that builds toward an apex. "There can be only one!"

Comment

I think they are less effective because there is no secondhand Quickening. I think the power and knowledge intertwines with the one of the receiver. Forever altering the receivers signature in the process. It does not stack like a pile of books would, it adds and changes pages in the book it gets added to.
        May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Another thought... could the Watchers "scorecard" on the laptop in Endgame actually be referring to all Quickenings (even 2nd and 3rd and 4th hand ones) received, not individual kills?

Probably not, though.
          Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
            Another thought... could the Watchers "scorecard" on the laptop in Endgame actually be referring to all Quickenings (even 2nd and 3rd and 4th hand ones) received, not individual kills?

Probably not, though.
            Unlikely but possible, it would also mean that Axel Whittaker was one of the most powerful immortals Duncan ever killed (before he killed Connor) because the watcher chronicles state that Whittaker had taken over 50 heads.
            May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

How many of his heads were girls who'd never had a Quickening?

Comment

• Nicholas Ward
                Nicholas Ward commented
                Editing a comment
                Probably about 4 or 5 if you refer to his lovely naive assistants. The highlander wiki states he beheaded 38 immortals lured in with Sharon and 50 with Concetta Fuentes.

• dubiousbystander
                dubiousbystander commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent strategist, the slime!
            Working...
            X