Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you won the lottery, what would you do with the Highlander franchise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you won the lottery, what would you do with the Highlander franchise?

Like, bam. A cool billion. You can do whatever.

Go.
    Highlander: Dark Places

Personally, I'd do a lot of things. Assuming we're talking about a jackpot equivalent to the current one out there (and I'm not a gambling man).

1) Throw 100 million at a movie properly ending the current franchise. Maybe it goes theatrical or maybe it goes the Netflix/blu-ray route... it doesn't really matter in this day and age. A really big feel-good film that ends the Game. Duncan, Amanda, Methos all front and center, Connor in flashbacks, etc..

2) Grow and develop a new TV series with new leads set in the present (but in continuity with the old) and pitch it to HBO and Showtime. If they don't want to play ball, fund it independently.

3) Develop a lot of quality direct-to-video content. Amanda deserves something. Methos deserves something. Feature-length stuff could be crafted fairly affordably for many characters.
    Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Heehee, you kind of took up all of the best choices. I would like to have Highlander II done properly. There really isn't a way it could work with fans, many of us are mostly biased against it, but man, were it done right and stick with Zeist, it could have been fantastic. And no "Hit in, dude," either.

I wouldn't go with your 1, but more likely to aim at 2. New actors for our old characters, but our old actors could come back as new characters....

Comment

I still think that the easiest way to use the old actors is to have a story that explores why the immortals have been aging. Blame it on the bio weapon created by Talia Bauer. It could be a result of what happened to the virus when Amanda took her head. The virus mutated when exposed to the quickening and Instead of killing mortals it is affecting every immortal Amanda has come in contact with since then. It doesn't affect immortals that she hasn't had a physical contact with. This allows for the old cast to make appearances while introducing new characters. And since Michelle Gomez hasn't changed much in her appearance since then it would be fun to see her again as Talia in a flashback. Any of the old cast could be made younger in flashbacks through CGI. It would make it interesting for her character to have to deal with the discovery that she has become toxic to her old immortal friends. When she finds out that she is the carrier of the virus how would she deal with it? Would she isolate herself from other immortal's? Would she use it as a weapon against other immortals? Would she have a special body armor created to prevent herself from touching immortals? Would a long touch from her actually kill an immortal or turn them mortal again? It would be fun to explore the idea.

Comment

• TheWolfEmperor
          TheWolfEmperor commented
          Editing a comment
          Talia didn't make a bioweapon, the man she was living with made the weapon and she blew up his labs to get it.

• Colleengael
          Colleengael commented
          Editing a comment
          It was implied that Talia also worked at the lab with her lover. I have one of the shooting scripts from that episode with notes written in it. For the purpose of my proposal I would do a flashback with Talia working with Kronos to create the bio weapon.

I probably wouldn't waste money on the franchise, to be honest.

That being said, if I had to do something with it, then I'd probably take Gregory Widen's original script and shoot it properly, without the constraints of a low budget 80's film... and that's probably it, to be honest. Its not my story, I don't need to control it, but I'd be happy to let Widen's original story be told unaltered.

Comment

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
          I still think that the easiest way to use the old actors is to have a story that explores why the immortals have been aging. Blame it on the bio weapon created by Talia Bauer. It could be a result of what happened to the virus when Amanda took her head. The virus mutated when exposed to the quickening and Instead of killing mortals it is affecting every immortal Amanda has come in contact with since then. It doesn't affect immortals that she hasn't had a physical contact with. This allows for the old cast to make appearances while introducing new characters. And since Michelle Gomez hasn't changed much in her appearance since then it would be fun to see her again as Talia in a flashback. Any of the old cast could be made younger in flashbacks through CGI. It would make it interesting for her character to have to deal with the discovery that she has become toxic to her old immortal friends. When she finds out that she is the carrier of the virus how would she deal with it? Would she isolate herself from other immortal's? Would she use it as a weapon against other immortals? Would she have a special body armor created to prevent herself from touching immortals? Would a long touch from her actually kill an immortal or turn them mortal again? It would be fun to explore the idea.

Would other Immortals who WANT to grow old and die seek her out?

Comment

• Colleengael
            Colleengael commented
            Editing a comment
            Possibly. It would be a great way to hide immortality from mortals who might suspect someone was immortal. I always figured immortal's just aged at a slower rate. They stay younger if they take in more or strong Quickenings.

First thing's first. I'd buy the rights to the series, lock, stock, and barrel.

Then I would put out casting notices out for experienced stage combat trainers, stunt choreographers, and actors who have experience with the above. My primary influence comes from Chris Fields' attempt to create a spin-off web series that apparently got shot down by William Panzer. But I still like the idea of taking the focus away from a single character and broadening the concept to allow for a number of characters and story lines.

The main things that would connect this series to the older one would be the presence of Immortals, Watchers, and the Game. Most of the main characters from The Series would be gone, or mentioned in passing. But I don't feel the need to bring anyone on board for a sendoff because if you look at any popular series wherein keys change hands, fans will complain no matter what happens. You get the Queen of Star Trek on a Babylon 5 episode and people still insist that one ripped off the other. So as unpopular as this will be, Highlander will be getting a basic reboot with the slight compromise of maybe Adrian Paul making a guest appearance the way Christopher Lambert did in The Gathering.

Comment

A new series with new characters, with the watcher chronicles as a basis.

A person who may or may not be a watcher or immortal tells the events that were recorded in a chronicle. Like the storyteller complete with transitions.

May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

If we're doing a final story for the series, I'd invest in a really good CGI lab. The series gang were some fine athletes, but life injures real people. With CGI (good CGI, not like that too-small cartoon Yoda leaping around like a mosquito), the age could be removed from faces and moves could be pirated from old work and added using younger actors.

“A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
              Billy Sunday

Comment

I'm not sure I have much to say that hasn't already been said, but I'll say it anyway just because I can.

Step 1: Buy the Highlander franchise.

Step 2: Get this remake finally made. Change just enough to make it feel fresh, and keep enough the same to make sure it still feels like Highlander. I keep getting this feeling that the powers that be are trying to reinvent the wheel, and I'd put a stop to that.

Step 3: Make a new series that takes place in the same universe as Highlander: The Series and Highlander: The Raven, but focuses on new characters. Classic characters may reappear, but I'm not afraid to recast if it's necessary.

Step 4: Try making some more anime-style animated movies. This route has potential because you're not as restricted by budgetary restraints, the passage of time, or the laws of physics. I just don't think it's been utilized to its full potential yet. So, I'd get people to work on it.

Step 5: Maybe look into getting some cool Highlander action figures made.

Comment

I wish a video game about Highlander ... There was an attempt but it was cancelled ... shame ...
                  La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Working...
                  X