Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Know Anything About This Replica I Have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Know Anything About This Replica I Have?

Hello everyone, since this is my first post.

For the longest time I assumed this was one of those cheap swords from Amazon because I found it for like $28 in a pawnshop years ago and impulse bought it, but the other day it occurred to me that it's stamped 440 stainless and completely lacks any China stamps. It's also got pretty decent detail and molding on it.

It's also got a weirdly sharp edge for a wallhanger and when I thump the handle the whole blade reverberates like it's a full tang down inside.

Things don't seem to line up with that theory

You may have been extremely lucky. It looks lovely! Sharker Magnus does a lot of work on swords he finds/buys, really knows how to rehabilitate them. Does this one need rehabilitation?

Comment

The handle is off of the same design as the one in this listing.
      https://propstoreauction.com/view-au...d/44/lot/9553/

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
        The handle is off of the same design as the one in this listing.
        https://propstoreauction.com/view-au...d/44/lot/9553/
        This one is actually in really good shape, it was just missing the fake red gem that covers pinning hole on a lot of these and I made another one by filing down an airsoft bb.

The bizarre about it is the handle almost matches Duncan's katana from the TV Show almost perfectly but the tsuba is slightly wrong and using a simpler "Maltese Cross' style shape instead of the intricate waves and braids on his. Then again there's a little china stamp on the washer indicating someone may have used a generic tsuba they ordered off the internet or got from another wallhanger.

That or the jewel was missing because they yanked the handle off and added the spacer, this seems to the same sword without that little washer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGHLANDER-...p2047675.l2557

The blade is also pretty decently machined and even got the complete lack of a fuller on the blade right which a lot of cheap replicas that are likely just using generic blades don't.

https://imgur.com/a/sUZONNz

I just need to carefully glue the fabric back down on the scabbard where it's started to peel up along the seam
        Last edited by CryptidWorks; 02-03-2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Very nice photos there! Thank you for sharing them.

Comment

Since replica's tend to look like the items they're modelled after and there are a lot of replica's of the Highlander swords around, my best guess would be that you've found someone's side project. They used the handle of a cheap highlander knock-off and put that on a fairly decent blade.

The scabbard is horrific though.
            May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
              Since replica's tend to look like the items they're modelled after and there are a lot of replica's of the Highlander swords around, my best guess would be that you've found someone's side project. They used the handle of a cheap highlander knock-off and put that on a fairly decent blade.

The scabbard is horrific though.
              Yeah, the scabbard is 100% someone's shoddy custom work where they found a cheap one from a mall katana that fit and tried to dress it up by wrapping that fancy fabric around it

Comment

it looks like a double pegged taiwanese replica that's been swapped into another scabbard. some of them have a good temper and others will take a set when bent. they can take and hold a reasonable edge but that's more of a liability to you than anything. check the seppa.
                Last edited by durandal; 02-19-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by durandal View Post
                  it looks like a double pegged taiwanese replica that's been swapped into another scabbard. some of them have a good temper and others will take a set when bent. they can take and hold a reasonable edge but that's more of a liability to you than anything. check the seppa.
                  It has a steel one that says China but I question if it's an original part of the sword because the blade itself isn't China stamped and I've never seen a mass-produced sword or knife that didn't have the country of origin on the blade itself.

Especially since I've seen what appears to be the same sword but without that washer listed as a Spanish replica in an old Ebay listing.

For what it's worth is does have a decent sharp edge on it, not like razor blade sharp but definitely there and able to cut. Nothing like the completely rounded/blunt fake edges on other wallhangers I have.

Comment

Stainless steel wall hanger

Comment

CryptidWorks .. is the scabbard ( saya) made of metal?

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Brook View Post
                        CryptidWorks .. is the scabbard ( saya) made of metal?

Jon
                        No, it's really cheap wood with fabric wrapped around it and poorly glued down.

Originally posted by KingofScots custom sporrans View Post
                        Stainless steel wall hanger
                        Blade is stamped 440 with no country of manufacture marking, which would be extermely odd for a wall-hanger. Most I've seen have India, Pakistan, or China clearly stamped into them.

Comment

Late to the party but ... It is a really nice wallhanger sword ... the scabbard is ... You see what I mean
                          La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Working...
                          X