How long would a sword last *really*?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long would a sword last *really*?

I mean in terms of carrying the same sword through the centuries, getting into bunches of sword fights. How long would, say, an actual katana hold up?

I feel like even the finest crafted katanas only last for a couple of swordfights in Japan's history before they either break or are dangerously damaged, no?
    Highlander: Dark Places

There are actual katana hundreds of years old. How many times they were used in combat? I have no clue. Edge to edge strikes would yield tremendous pressures and I have to believe they would do significant damage. Perhaps they rotated the blade when blocking or parrying to be less damaging to such a valuable weapon. I can't imagine they disposed of blades as if they were razor blades.

Connor's may have had healing properties. Brenda took a chunk half the size of a fingernail out of that concrete column, but there was no apparent damage.

Comment

I's a kind of magic! I don't think Ramirez Masamune katana would have lasted from 596 BC to Connor's fight against the Kurgan, he must have repaired it countless of times as he did in Highlander III!

Comment

Just keeping it sharp would destroy it. I have one of my grandmother's knives that's about half it's original width, and that's less than a century.

Comment

A good sword probably lasts a couple of decades with active use. They're probably prone to Theseus's paradox.

May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

• dubiousbystander
            dubiousbystander commented
            Editing a comment
            The swords are semi-Immortal by proximity and regenerate!

• Nicholas Ward
            Nicholas Ward commented
            Editing a comment
            Self-healing swords!

I would probaably get a new on once there were too many nicks in the blade.

Comment

Originally posted by Saber Dog View Post
            Brenda took a chunk half the size of a fingernail out of that concrete column, but there was no apparent damage.
            That always bugged me. Like, damn... that came off the sword?
            Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

• Freebooter
              Freebooter commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too. If a chunk that big broke off my blade I would get a new sword, thinking that big chip weakened my blade where it mighty break or something

That is a really good question ... =O
            If you take care carefully of your sword, it could serve you well your lifetime ... and beyond
            Last edited by Kladdagh; 09-30-2018, 09:21 AM.
            La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

I've seen a cut down katana. It came to the US after WWII as a broken souvenir and the owner sharpened it and used it as a yard knife. I really wanted to take off the handle to see if it had kanji.
              “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
              Billy Sunday

Comment

Working...
              X