How long would a sword last *really*?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long would a sword last *really*?

I mean in terms of carrying the same sword through the centuries, getting into bunches of sword fights. How long would, say, an actual katana hold up?

I feel like even the finest crafted katanas only last for a couple of swordfights in Japan's history before they either break or are dangerously damaged, no?
    Highlander: Dark Places

There are actual katana hundreds of years old. How many times they were used in combat? I have no clue. Edge to edge strikes would yield tremendous pressures and I have to believe they would do significant damage. Perhaps they rotated the blade when blocking or parrying to be less damaging to such a valuable weapon. I can't imagine they disposed of blades as if they were razor blades.

Connor's may have had healing properties. Brenda took a chunk half the size of a fingernail out of that concrete column, but there was no apparent damage.

Comment

I's a kind of magic! I don't think Ramirez Masamune katana would have lasted from 596 BC to Connor's fight against the Kurgan, he must have repaired it countless of times as he did in Highlander III!

Comment

Just keeping it sharp would destroy it. I have one of my grandmother's knives that's about half it's original width, and that's less than a century.

Comment

A good sword probably lasts a couple of decades with active use. They're probably prone to Theseus's paradox.

May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

• dubiousbystander
            dubiousbystander commented
            Editing a comment
            The swords are semi-Immortal by proximity and regenerate!

• Nicholas Ward
            Nicholas Ward commented
            Editing a comment
            Self-healing swords!

I would probaably get a new on once there were too many nicks in the blade.

Comment

Originally posted by Saber Dog View Post
            Brenda took a chunk half the size of a fingernail out of that concrete column, but there was no apparent damage.
            That always bugged me. Like, damn... that came off the sword?

Comment

• Freebooter
              Freebooter commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too. If a chunk that big broke off my blade I would get a new sword, thinking that big chip weakened my blade where it mighty break or something

That is a really good question ... =O
            If you take care carefully of your sword, it could serve you well your lifetime ... and beyond
            Last edited by Kladdagh; 09-30-2018, 09:21 AM.
            La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

I've seen a cut down katana. It came to the US after WWII as a broken souvenir and the owner sharpened it and used it as a yard knife. I really wanted to take off the handle to see if it had kanji.
              “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
              Billy Sunday

Comment

There are real katana several years of age. How often they were utilized in battle? I do not understand. Edge to edge strikes would yield enormous weights and I need to trust they would do noteworthy harm. Maybe they turned the edge when blocking Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate or repelling to be less harming to such an important weapon. I can't envision they discarded cutting edges as though they were extremely sharp edges
                Last edited by klimbo123; 02-18-2019, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Even Adrian taught us during the sword experience to block with the side of the blade instead of using the edge. He said that a swordsman must keep his wrists strong and flexible because you want to protect the cutting edge of your blade. He also reminded everyone not to touch the metal blades with your fingers because the oil from your body also contains acids which can damage your blade if you don't clean it regularly and properly. Other martial arts instructors that I have had told me the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
                    Even Adrian taught us during the sword experience to block with the side of the blade instead of using the edge. He said that a swordsman must keep his wrists strong and flexible because you want to protect the cutting edge of your blade. He also reminded everyone not to touch the metal blades with your fingers because the oil from your body also contains acids which can damage your blade if you don't clean it regularly and properly. Other martial arts instructors that I have had told me the same thing.
                    It's true. I've handled swords, put them back in their scabbards to sit in the shadows for years... then pulled them out and can see my fingerprints rusted into the metal of the blade. Whoops!

Comment

It's probably also worth it to consider what materials the swords are made with. Modern steel might last longer than, say, iron or bronze.

I would wager that the practical answer to this question is that Immortals replace parts of their swords from time to time when they're damaged, or simply get new swords or have new versions of their old ones made. I'll bet that the sword The Kurgan uses in 1985 isn't the same sword that he used when he first met Connor in Scotland.

But, I do kind of like the idea that over time an Immortal's sword could be imbued with some of its owner's Quickening, making it stronger and resistant to the ravages of time. Whether this would be done intentionally, is the result of prolonged close proximity to the Immortal, or could even be some kind of psychological effect may depend on the Immortal.

Comment

So the 'this is my grandfather's axe' thing. (I've replaced the handle five times and the head once, but this is my grandfather's axe.)

Comment

• Darth Reaper
                          Darth Reaper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It very well could be.

In my own RP, an Immortal may summon forth any weapon that either they, or any any of the Immortals whose Quickenings they hold, have ever used to take a head, and this weapon always appears in pristine shape. To do so, they typically reach as if to draw the weapon from a coat, jacket, or even behind them, and appear to draw it forth, even if the blade itself plainly wouldn't fit there. This works no matter if the weapon was previously broken, or is currently locked away somewhere like a police evidence room, or museum display. In this manner, a rusty medieval sword might vanish from its resting place in a private collection, the bottom of a river, or long buried underground to arrive as new as the day it was made, in the hands of the one calling it forth. This weapon does not have to be a sword--Van Owen has used two firearms to decapitate other Immortals, one was a Thompson SMG, the other was an Accuracy International AW sniper rifle chambered in .338 Lapua. In the case of ranged weapons, however, they'll only arrive with a single magazine worth of the same type of ammunition they were originally loaded with, and more cannot be brought forth in this manner. Likewise the weapon in question must have directly caused the decapitation, rather than achieved it in some indirect manner (such as a knife cutting the rope to a Guillotine), must actually be a weapon, (so no Guillotine, either) and must of a size that the Immortal could reasonably carry it on their person and directly employ it in combat, and cannot be a single use item. (So, no artillery or explosive devices)

Comment

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post

Depends on the material. Stainless is pretty rust resistant (it's why it's used in hard-use tools and knives) but the carbon steel used in high-end, battle-ready swords will 100% rust right through if it's not constantly cleaned and maintained after every use or handling.

As likely would the primitive steels used in historical swords unless it came from a source that had elements that cause rust resistance already naturally forming in it

Comment

Originally posted by Van Owen View Post
                            In my own RP, an Immortal may summon forth any weapon that either they, or any any of the Immortals whose Quickenings they hold, have ever used to take a head, and this weapon always appears in pristine shape.
                            That is cool! Emotionally, I object to the deus ex machina of it, but it's still quite a clever idea. I'd think it should be a mastered skill, though. Wait, did you say that?

Comment

Most sword welders tends avoid edge to edge combat and would use the flats of their blades to block or parry attacks. If you are a very skilled swordsman and perform good maintenance on your sword it would last a life time. My Shotokan Karate sensei has a katana that has been in his family since the Edo period, it was handed down from generation to generation. The blade is in very good condition despite it's age, the saya, handle and grip wrapping have been replaced throughout the ages due to wear.

Comment

Hi! According to this video, the Kurgan's sword would only last few seconds!
                                https://youtu.be/ggvlwELRmXI
                                Maybe you already know about it otherwise try to watch it until the end and don't throw tomatoes. Although the way the blade halves get together has always flinched me, I have always loved his sword along with that scene when he assembles it and trains in the hotel room.

Comment

Working...
                                X