Pitch a "Methos" TV series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch a "Methos" TV series

Go! What is the premise, the hook, the overall series arc.
    Highlander: Dark Places

"Picture this! An enigmatic man, seems blithe and innocent enough, like a college student, quite studious. Actually, he's 5,000 years old. He'll survive anything, and do it with a vengeance! He's kind of amoral, but tends to try and avoid jail. However, in his history he's been everything! He rode with Butch and Sundance and broke into banks! He was a doctor and treated slaves in New Orleans, because he's been a slave before himself! He taught Lord Byron, and dissected human corpses! He's drawn to sweet, shy women. And sexy tough women. And hey, guys too. Let's be progressive! He's a lot like Eric in True Blood, and you know everyone loves Eric. He's Immortal, so he can suffer any kind of wound and recover from it. He will flee battles, and claims not to have taken a head in 200 years, in 1995 or so. But hey, 5,000 years of battle, good and bad, for love, for hate, for madness. Heck, he is Death of the Four Horsemen! So many awesome flashbacks! Even in stories where he doesn't murder someone now (even in self-defense), there are always flashbacks! Him being evil, him being kind, him in love. Him being snarky, him being shy....

He can be slowly drawn from a practice of avoidance, kicking and screaming, into saving people under threat. Perhaps give him a young woman, newly Immortal, as a student. You can have her trying to sleep with him, and him refusing because she's his student. Or not, you know, we could build up to it until she gets good enough, and capable enough of defending herself, to approach him as a mature adult who knows herself, and he knows that they'll make a great pair, and she can defend herself (and maybe him, too)."

Comment

For me, the appeal is that its just like the original series except that Methos is very different from Ducan MacLeod.
      He doesn't have the same moral code as MacLeod, so that's something entertaining to watch from the getgo because he's not trying to be heroic.
      Instead of 400 years of flashback material, you would now have 5,000 years. You could go into very different settings and stories because you can go much further back in history.
      Methos was one to be around iconic figures such as Lord Byron. You could see many more historical figures that we never got to see with Duncan MacLeod.

Methos was a bad guy at one point. You could have several stories of him being ruthless and cruel. Where we see him as the villain and he defeats a good guy.

You could also have stories where he simply runs away from confrontations. You could really paint him as a very different kind of lead character.

He had 60+ wives. You could easily have stories where its a different love interest in each era. Duncan MacLeod had zero wives in the series. It would make for an interesting premise to see episodes where Methos is a husband. Probably a different type of husband with each wife.

Peter Wingfield can sing. Methos was on stage with the Rolling Stones. Could have episodes centered around a time when maybe he was in a band. Show the musical side of Methos. Episodes could show his other skills and talents in the arts. On the series, we knew he liked to cook old recipes.

There's just such a different contrast that you could have with Methos than you could with Duncan MacLeod.

That at least for me was the anticipation of getting a Methos spin-off series. He just had so much more range and depth than Amanda had in The Raven.
      Power to the Donut!

Comment

Joe and Methos. Sitting in a bar, telling stories. Flashbacks to those stories as experienced by Methos, with delightful conmentary by Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleander View Post
          Joe and Methos. Sitting in a bar, telling stories. Flashbacks to those stories as experienced by Methos, with delightful conmentary by Joe.
          Like the Storyteller!
          May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Although I am leery of having Methos in his own show, of the ideas listed here, I like Aleander's idea the best. Joe and Methos together are such a wonderful pair. I would hope there wouldn't be a fight of the week, but creative ideas on how Methos avoided a fight (at least in the recent past) instead of dueling to the death. I'm not convinced he would take on a student.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
              Although I am leery of having Methos in his own show, of the ideas listed here, I like Aleander's idea the best. Joe and Methos together are such a wonderful pair. I would hope there wouldn't be a fight of the week, but creative ideas on how Methos avoided a fight (at least in the recent past) instead of dueling to the death. I'm not convinced he would take on a student.
              It would be the ultimate play. Joe turning out to be the student all along!
              May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Something like that. I'd probably suggest an anthology show, though. Every week, Methos tells another story about an immortal he met in the past or one he knows from legend and hearsay. Methos himself is never the main character of the story (with possibly a few rare exceptions--during sweeps week, perhaps). This show would replace Season 6 (assuming that the Ahriman story never happened), and the "casting call" episodes could still appear as part of this run. Methos could then become a supporting character in The Raven afterward, or perhaps The Raven could be retooled to be a full-on Amanda/Methos show. And once Elizabeth Gracen departs, Methos can take over the lead role again and battle a posse led by Jacob Kell that is loosely modeling itself off of the Four Horsemen (over a season-long story arc in lieu of Endgame). Special guest stars Adrian Paul and Christopher Lambert appear throughout the third season. In the fourth and final season, Methos goes searching for the Source with some other immortals and finds something less stupid than what we got in the movie.
                Last edited by Tootsie Bee; 06-02-2017, 06:07 AM.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post

It would be the ultimate play. Joe turning out to be the student all along!
                  I would not like to see Joe be the student, since it would change the dynamic. I like Joe as a Watcher and very much mortal.

Comment

I've had Methos in several fan fictions. I typically give him a long term goal that he's working on bringing about very slowly and subtly that nobody else is in on. Not great for a series perhaps, but it gives him something more than avoiding conflicts.

Comment

Love this idea! Occasionally others could pop up and add to the story, or there could be a problem in the present to deal with, but mostly it would be two friends telling stories.

Comment

I absolutely agree that Joe should play a big role in a show about Methos. I do see one problem (presuming that we are talking about a show actually happening today and not just hypothetically) and that is the fact that Peter Wingfield is currently busy being a doctor and wouldn't be avaliable. That means that someone else would have to play Methos. Leaving aside what a difficult casting that would be, that bring up the question of having Jim Byrnes playing Joe. Certainly he could do it, after all Joe is mortal so the fact that Jim has gotten older wouldn't be an issue, but Jim and Peter had such great chemistry as Joe and Methos. I think it would be jarring for those of us who love the original series and that chemistry to see Jim play Joe opposite another actor as Methos. Not saying it is impossible but Ithink it would make a difference. Also, let's face it, I love Adrian Paul, Peter Wingfield, Elizabeth Gracen, Paul Johansson, and Tracy Scoggins and they all still look fantastic but they have visably aged. Given that the characters are supposed to be immortal I don't really think it would work to have any of them reprise their roles at this point. Personally, I think you would have to start with a new cast. James Marsters used to say that the much desired tv series or movie about Spike would have to happen soon before he got to old to play Spike. He was right and I am afraid that ship has sailed.

As for the show, I think there is a lot of storytelling potential. Methos has a long ,rich history to explore. We didn't even scratch the surface in the original series and the flashbacks would be awesome. I don't think Kronos and the Horsemen and Byron are the only parts of his past that are waiting to come back and bite him in the ass and that means lots of potentially great stories that I would love to see. Methos was at this best when he tried to reconcile his murky past with having good people as friends in the present.

Then there are the Watchers. When last we checked with the Watchers Chronicles CD his watcher was Amy Zoll. We never actually saw her on the show but I think she should play a bit part in a Methos show. I dream of Margo Martindale playing her because that would be awesome. I would love to see Methos attempt to befriend her and have her still be ticked off with him for Adam Pierson and, even worse, for messing with his Chronicle. Naturally, despite that, she would still end up being drawn in by the chance to hear about history from the ROG. I picture a relationship similar to Joe and Duncan's relationship with much banter, testing of loyalties and pretty great friendship that develops over time.

Then there there is Cassandra. Yeah, you knew from my avatar and name I was going to go there. I would really love her to play a big role too. Frankly, there are a lot of different directions the writers could go in with Methos and Cassandra and I would eagerly watch almost any of them. I think things would be different between her and Methos after he saved her and she spared his life when last they met. I would love to see that.

So, lots to see in a show about Methos and I would even literally pay money to see it. If only...

Comment

• Colleengael
                          Colleengael commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They could use the actor who played Merlin to play a younger Methos in any flashbacks. Just use Peter with scenes with Joe. Peter has done a few acting jobs over the years during his days off from his new career. As for the immortals looking older...it could be a man-made virus that is affecting immortals aging process.

• dubiousbystander
                          dubiousbystander commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Colleengael, just to be certain, do you refer to Colin Morgan? I haven't seen that series. He looks good! Right now I'm rather fond of Allan Hyde, the Danish fellow...
                      Working...
                      X