Could Methos himself have been Jesus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Methos himself have been Jesus?

We saw him talking with conviction in "The Source" when he talked about having seen Jesus teach... but could there have been more to it? Obviously Methos is a lot older than Jesus... but is it outside the realm of possibility that maybe he assumed that persona at that particular place and time?
    Highlander: Dark Places

I would think it's more likely he was just a disciple, or maybe even an apostle at best. They put a kind of aura of presumed truth around religion and holiness throughout the franchise, and so I always just saw that line as plain admittance that Yeshua was real in their world. Moving from there to assuming that Methos was the Messiah, himself, seems like a bit of stretch to me, especially with how annoyed he was with Giovanni in that scene. Had he played the role, himself, I think he would've just said so within that spout of irritated rage to shut him down.

Comment

For all we know he was pontius pilatus...

I don't think he was close with the historical figure of Jesus. Probably an observant or maybe posing as a follower.
      Methos does seem to have a nose for innovation, for significant movements in time and he probably actively seeks it out. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew other greats from history in that regard.
      May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

I am going to go with Yvette Christofilis' fan fiction about Methos being a friend of Jesus and being there during the final few weeks of his life. It's a Matter of Faith was inspired by one of the discussions on the old message board and was printed out for inclusion in the Forever Highlander gift bags. I delivered 25 of the gift bags to different cast and crew members over the years. The other 175 went to fans who requested them. Check the fan fiction archives and you might be able to find it. It is a great Highlander read for Easter time.

Comment

No. Methos is very clever, highly intelligent, but he is a creature of habit not innovation. At the time of Jesus, he would have been over 3,000 years old, not a time to go about getting himself noticed with a new way of thinking even if he could have conceived such an unprecedented creed. Rebels, no matter how gentle, do not end well, and he knows this, and so would have stuck to the fringes, not been front and center. He would have been fascinated by the lessons taught, would probably even been a follower if only to slake his insatiable curiosity, but judging from the established character, no way in hell would he have been the leader of such a movement, and would likely have been right next to Peter denying they knew him when the Romans came.

Comment

I can most imagine him as one of the crowd at the feeding of the five thousand and it slowly sinking in over centuries. ('What? They're carrying on about *that* guy?' At the council of Trent or the such.)

Comment

I could see Methos hanging around the Romans and visiting Jesus just out of curiosity but no way would he have brought that much attention onto himself.
              Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

Methos would not have looked anything like a first-century Galilean Jew, so I'm gonna say no.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

• Coolwater
                  Coolwater commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ...LOL!....

Methos insinuated himself into the Watchers organization to keep track of the movements of other immortals. Maybe he was even a founding member. Given his desire for self-protection, I think he would be more likely to be the right hand man of Pontus Pilot, allowing him access to all the Roman Governor's communications, than part of a radical/heretical Jewish movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
                  Methos would not have looked anything like a first-century Galilean Jew, so I'm gonna say no.
                  He probably didn't look like a regular Pharaoh either. Maybe people from ancient times were more intrigued than xenophobic about differences?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
                    Methos insinuated himself into the Watchers organization to keep track of the movements of other immortals. Maybe he was even a founding member. Given his desire for self-protection, I think he would be more likely to be the right hand man of Pontus Pilot, allowing him access to all the Roman Governor's communications, than part of a radical/heretical Jewish movement.
                    He could have been neither and been part of the Pharisees which historically emerged from scribes and sages. Assuming Methos gained his calm demeanour more than 2000 years ago.

Comment

I'm having a hard time imagining Methos letting himself get hung on a cross.
                      “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                      Billy Sunday

Comment

• Nicholas Ward
                        Nicholas Ward commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well, just read some fan fiction. The things Methos does in some of those leaves nothing to the imagination.

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                      I'm having a hard time imagining Methos letting himself get hung on a cross.
                      Didn't he do that in the Highlander novel Zealot? Got crucified for snubbing his master's wife rather than leading a religious revolution, but still.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                        dubiousbystander commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's the story!

• Coolwater
                        Coolwater commented
                        Editing a comment
                        (slaps forehead) Not exactly voluntary. The whole Christ thing assumes that Jesus could have run and didn't.
                        But I'll bite: why didn't he just sleep with her? Or, being immortal and all, a less miserable suicide than crucifixion?

Yeah, I can't go along with this idea, pretty much for all of the reasons already mentioned. But, on top of that, Methos just doesn't seem like Jesus. It doesn't seem like that would be in his character. He seems like the kind of guy who likes to dwell in morally grey areas, and I don't think that was what Jesus was about. I know that people change over time, but I think some elements of Methos' character have remained pretty consistent.

Besides, as a practicing Catholic, I'm used to thinking of Jesus as The Messiah. God made man. Anything else would be a major downgrade. I prefer the way that Highlander has handled him so far and left him undefined. That way, it can remain a matter of faith and personal preference what his true nature is.
                      Last edited by Darth Reaper; 12-21-2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Coolwater if I remember correctly Methos was a friend of the husband who was his master. The wife was a lecherous witch who liked to toy with her slaves and then betray them. He figured death was a good way out of the slavery situation and a way to escape with his body parts intact.

Comment

Working...
                        X