Dead or Alive: Nick Wolfe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead or Alive: Nick Wolfe

In the finale of Highlander: The Raven we've seen Nick Wolfe walk away SPOILER(as a new immortal).

What do you think happened to him? Is he still around? Would he hold a grudge against Amanda or find his nemesis in Victor Hansen?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Nick Wolfe 2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	12057

Dead, beheaded by....
    28.57%
    Alive
    71.43%
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

He knew enough already that he would likely be well off as a new immortal. I'd imagine very few would have more knowledge than him going into it. That said, he was clearly angry with Amanda, so reconciliation would seem unlikely, at least for a while.

Beyond that, as a seasoned police officer, I'd wager that he'd try to go back to work and begin training on his own -- maybe finding a HEMA club or something -- while trying to stay out of the game as much as possible, maybe even going so far as shooting some immortals just to get away from them. Of course, after doing that once or twice, his location would undoubtedly be compromised, so he'd have to go away and find a new life, but still, I think he'd shy away from the game.

Maybe he'd become a monk, or at least a preacher somewhere, just so that he could be safe like Darius, while maintaining his training just to be sure he could handle what may come at him whenever he needs to venture off holy ground for whatever reason.

Now, that is all based on how the show ended. Had it continued, obviously he would've reconciled with Amanda relatively soon, and she would have become his mentor, as the two would have ultimately shared a sort of inverse Duncan and Richie dynamic, except with some romantic drama sprinkled on top. But that's all beside the point. As it ultimately stands, I wouldn't find that likely for his character, based on what we saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Takk View Post
      He knew enough already that he would likely be well off as a new immortal. I'd imagine very few would have more knowledge than him going into it. That said, he was clearly angry with Amanda, so reconciliation would seem unlikely, at least for a while.

Beyond that, as a seasoned police officer, I'd wager that he'd try to go back to work and begin training on his own -- maybe finding a HEMA club or something -- while trying to stay out of the game as much as possible, maybe even going so far as shooting some immortals just to get away from them. Of course, after doing that once or twice, his location would undoubtedly be compromised, so he'd have to go away and find a new life, but still, I think he'd shy away from the game.

Maybe he'd become a monk, or at least a preacher somewhere, just so that he could be safe like Darius, while maintaining his training just to be sure he could handle what may come at him whenever he needs to venture off holy ground for whatever reason.

Now, that is all based on how the show ended. Had it continued, obviously he would've reconciled with Amanda relatively soon, and she would have become his mentor, as the two would have ultimately shared a sort of inverse Duncan and Richie dynamic, except with some romantic drama sprinkled on top. But that's all beside the point. As it ultimately stands, I wouldn't find that likely for his character, based on what we saw.
      I agree that he would've been likely to take up a training regime.
      But I don't see him become a priest at all. In my opinion he'd be way too brash for that.

Comment

I actually alluded to his fate in a story I wrote a while back, so if you want to take that with a grain of salt, in that tale he wound up being one of the last dozen immortals on the planet - and this is centuries in the future. So the implication is that he trained and learned to play the game, and apparently did it well, but I never got the impression he liked or wanted immortality. So in the story, he eventually ambushed and took out Amanda having never really forgiven her nor ever completely reconciling himself to his immortality. He was then himself taken out by MacLeod.

Comment

Without a proper training ... I assume he would be dead ...
          He is for me ...
          La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Yes, but he really had proper training. The only surprise for him was that he turned out to be an Immortal. And they were setting up this whole torment-thing for him. "Oh noes! I am Immortal, and that means someday I might has to fight Amanda, whom I loves!"

Comment

I agree that Nick Wolfe would know how to fight and pick up swordtraining. I think he'll hold a grudge against Victor Hansen and Amanda and would pursue the former, not hesitating to kill whatever immortal would end up in his way.

For now, I think he'd stay alive for some years to come.

Comment

I always figured Nick would turn to Father Liam, either for training directly (doubtful) or the name of an Immortal who would be willing to teach him. And while he may never have forgiven Amanda, Nick never struck me as the type to go after her head. Though he'd probably get whacked by Methos in the end.

Comment

I felt the point of Nick's final voiceover is that he loves Amanda, and is now in shock and horror because his experiences with Immortals have shown him that they'll someday fight to the death.

Comment

I always figured that he went to talk to Father Liam when he walked away from Amanda. Remember that Liam and some of the immortals he had already met were probably tolerant of him because they could sense he was a latent immortal as well as a friend of Amanda's. They knew that his chosen career would probably trigger his immortality sooner or later. I like to think that Liam sent him to Duncan to train. Paul himself posted a photo of himself and Adrian taken in Cannes, France when they ran into each other at the film festival. He captioned the photo as Nick and Duncan swapping Amanda stories. He later worked on a film with Peter Wingfield and is a personal friend of Ian Paul Cassidy and interviewed him for the fans about his work in Endgame as Cracker Bob. So I believe that Nick Wolf had a head start on most new immortals because he knew about them and the rules before his first death. He had already had encounters with at least two dozen of them. Some good. Some bad. He knew about holy ground and would have asked Liam for help in finding a safe location to train since he couldn't stay at The Sanctuary Club because of Amanda living there. I do believe that because of his training he would also be willing to shoot an immortal that came after him. That he would handcuff them in some remote place and would get out of town to avoid a fight. He did suggest to Joe and Amanda that he knew where a building foundation was being poured to put Korda in. Then he could be someone else's problem.

Comment

• Colleengael
                      Colleengael commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I also believe that once he talked with Liam and realized that the poison would have destroyed his internal organs and given him a lingering agonizing death before triggering his immortality that the quick death was an act of mercy. He would have eventually forgiven Amanda. I also believe that she would have asked her friends to watch over him for her. She knew he was one of the good guys. So I believe Nick is still alive and has probably continued to stop bad immortals if they are killing mortals. The cop in him is too ingrained in his ethics and training. But I also believe that Amanda and Liam managed to help him recognize that for immortals there has to be a looser set of rules to survive in the modern world.

As someone who hasn't seen the episode yet but did know that Nick was like Richie, a pre-immortal and some of the people had nodded to that effect, I'm looking forward to seeing this really soon!
                    JB

Comment

Yeah, I am getting around to a Raven rewatch!

Comment

I think the show is getting better, I'm on the eighteenth tonight and I prefer the Paris episodes much like in the original series too!
                        JB

Comment

It's funny how all the immortals Amanda meets are either ex-boyfriends and husbands! Those that aren't Michelle Gomez that is!
                          JB

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybear View Post
                            It's funny how all the immortals Amanda meets are either ex-boyfriends and husbands! Those that aren't Michelle Gomez that is!
                            JB
                            Yes. That bothered me, but it also clarified what the showrunners showed us in the Highlander series final episodes. In the world without MacLeod, these were what most of the male Immortals she knew were like. No wonder she became a black widow, I guess.

Comment

Well I suppose it makes the series more exciting by having ex-lovers and old flames and adversaries!
                              JB

Comment

Working...
                              X