Amanda, evolution of a character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amanda, evolution of a character

I thought I'd give this a try. Talk about how Amanda changed over the course of the series, and I mean before she got her own.

Starting with her introductory episode, The Lady and the Tiger.

I tried to watch it as though it were the first time and I didn't know all her additional history. That's pretty hard to do.

Amanda was entangled with Zachary. While Duncan MacLeod was away, they pulled off a big robbery. She was hurrying to get away when he got home a bit early. Her plans to protect him (my take) were already in place, though. She had left clues to lure the soldiers to the place he was living. She left the ring to make certain he'd be blamed. She waited until she heard the soldiers in the house and approaching the room, then hurried out with the loot to meet Zachary.

Zachary wanted to take Duncan's head. Amanda likes that head where it belongs, thank you very much. She's managed two things. She's gotten Duncan held in place by the soldiers, and Zachary has to leave with her because he doesn't want to be caught.

She warns Duncan of Zachary as a threat. When Duncan won't stay out of the way, she has him detained by the circus people.

I thought, from what went on, that Amanda's intent was always to take Zachary's head while his guard was down after they'd successfully made off with the book. But Duncan interfered, and Zachary had a gun. It was always about protecting Duncan, even after Zachary was gone, when she hoped he would leave with her and not stay with Tessa, who as a mortal was bound to die.

I've been watching The Raven for the first time recently and although it's not a patch on the original show it's okay! The only trouble i'm having is accepting that the beheadings and quickenings are either not shown or glossed over and why wasn't Ellen Dubin given a bigger part???
    JB

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybear View Post
      I've been watching The Raven for the first time recently and although it's not a patch on the original show it's okay! The only trouble i'm having is accepting that the beheadings and quickenings are either not shown or glossed over and why wasn't Ellen Dubin given a bigger part???
      JB
      I still have to rewatch The Raven. I don't know. Possibly they were too into giving Valentine Pelka his scenes. He certainly is great!

Comment

I was listening to the featurettes on the set and heard about this Svengali who had this power over Elisabeth Gracen! Apparently he made her hate Paul Johannson!!! Is this actually true and who exactly was this guy as so far they haven't identified him!!!
        JB

Comment

• Colleengael
          Colleengael commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly, it is true that Elizabeth fell for the wrong man at that time in her life. Remember that she was also vulnerable at that time because Ken Starr was trying to add her to the list of women to interrogate and humiliate during his investigation into Bill Clinton. Thankfully her family and friends helped her get over both situations. The good news is that she is a strong lady like Amanda and bounced back stronger than ever. She has made peace with her past and has asked her fans to be kind and not stress over the past. She admitted that she and Paul have talked about that time and also made peace with it. Enjoy the show for the great job both actors did at bringing the characters to life despite the backstage drama. I wish they had given us more time with the characters too.
      Working...
      X