Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From alt.tv.highlander, interesting Highlander Discussions. To me, that is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From alt.tv.highlander, interesting Highlander Discussions. To me, that is.

Comic-Kaze
    3/5/01
    Duncan MacLeod amassed 174 immortal kills since becoming immortal in 1624.
    Now in the series he got an average of one kill per episode. That means 22 episodes x 6 seasons = 132 kills minus maybe 30 non lethal episodes. LOL, does that mean MacLeod got 72 kills in his first 368 years?! (from 1624 to 1992) And then he suddenly went bloody mad and took 102 heads in a period of only 6 years?
    He went from getting 0.19 heads/year to over 17 heads/year. Did his boss suddenly demand a higher workload? A daily quota? Well the only rational explanation I have is that perhaps the GATHERING began in 1985 so headcount increased dramatically after this time.

But if you consider this kill percentage...Connor MacLeod died in 1536. Connor has 262 confirmed immortal kills according to Endgame. If you read his count as more a normal count (not influenced by the ep to ep demands of a TV series), that is 0.56 heads a year (262 kills/2002-1541 [Year he meets Ramirez and thus, hasn't had any kills previous]).

Now if you apply that to Methos who I believe is about as adept if not more profficient than Connor MacLeod (definitely much more blood-thirsty/cold-blooded/utterly-evil in the past)...Let's just say 0.6 heads/year x 5000 years... that is over 3000 unconfirmed immortal kills! He could take on 4.5 Kell's (661 confirmed kills) at a time while sipping wine from his vineyard!!!

If Duncan ever had to face Methos, he would have utterly no chance! That is...if we follow the Endgame theory of having more raw count kills (not cumulative from defeated immortal's kills) = more powerful. -Jeremy

Mark Nguyen
    3/5/01
    Comic-Kaze wrote:

> Duncan MacLeod amassed 174 immortal kills since becoming immortal in 1624.
    > Now in the series he got an average of one kill per episode. That means 22 episodes x 6 seasons = 132 kills minus maybe 30 non lethal episodes.

Uh, not really... I did a count once, a while ago, and it turns out that Duncan killed about 80 Immortals in 119 episodes (22 each in season 1-4,
    18 in season 5, 13 in season six). I don't have the exact numbers anymore. But it certainly wasn't an average of once per episode. In the
    first ten episodes of the second season, for example, Duncan killed "only" two Immortals (Michael Moore and Anthony Galen).

> does that mean MacLeod got 72 kills in his first 368 years?! (from 1624 to 1992) And then he suddenly went bloody mad and took 102 heads in a period of only 6 years?

The numbers are a little scrambled, but the idea is still true.

> He went from getting 0.19 heads/year to over 17 heads/year. Did his boss suddenly demand a higher workload? A daily quota? Well the only rational explanation I have is that perhaps the GATHERING began in 1985 so headcount increased dramatically after this time.

The reason behind this is indirectly described in the first episode, which established that Duncan was on a break from all the obsessive do-gooding that characterized his actions over the course of the series. He came out of retirement at the point, got all judgemental again, and
    started killing Immortals.

Even better, he tended to move frequently. After all the eveil Immortals had been killed off in Seascouver or Paris, he suddenly moved to the
    opposite city. This allowed the evil Immortals to repopulate the city he just left, letting him return to a city full of bad guys again by the
    next season.

"Observe the migration habits of the common Evilimmie. Once the Evilimmie'snatural predator, the elusive Boyscoutimmie, flies East from
    Seacouver for the Winter, the Evilimmies will claim the vacated territory as their own, often claiming houses and location sets formerly
    occipied by other Evilimmies. However, the elusive Boyscoutimmie always returns in the following season, thereto wreak havoc and thus reduce the innocent Evilimmie population once again..."

> But if you consider this kill percentage...Connor MacLeod died in 1536. Connor has 262 confirmed immortal kills according to Endgame. If you read his count as more a normal count (not influenced by the ep to ep demands of a TV series), that is 0.56 heads a year (262 kills/2002-1541 [Year he meets Ramirez and thus, hasn't had any kills previous]).

Well, we don't really know when Connor's first Quickening was. He could have met and beheaded someone by chance without really knowing what was going on. Duncan did just that in 1624, and had perviously fought Kanwulf (winning on a fluke, and leaving Kanwulf for dead in
    "Homeland").

Anyway, Connor still had way more kills than Duncan did on average up to 1992, when he went to the Sanctuary. He was a heck of a lot more busy than Duncan. What a guy.

> Now if you apply that to Methos who I believe is about as adept if not more profficient than Connor MacLeod (definitely much more blood-thirsty/cold-blooded/utterly-evil in the past)...Let's just say 0.6 heads/year x 5000 years... that is over 3000 unconfirmed immortal kills! He could take on 4.5 Kell's (661 confirmed kills) at a time while sipping wine from his vineyard!!!

Well, that's assuming that there were that many Immortals back then. He may have spent up to 2000 years as an evil SOB, but back then there weren't that many people - or Immies. Then for the past couple millenium at least, Methos has been staying out of the game, avoiding Immies, and doing whatever he needed to stay alive. I'm sure Methos has decapitated a bunch of people, but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't as much as Connor or Kell.

> If Duncan ever had to face Methos, he would have utterly no chance! That is...if we follow the Endgame theory of having more raw count kills (not cumulative from defeated immortal's kills) = more powerful.
    > -Jeremy

Maybe... Maybe not. Okay, so Duncan killed 172 people + Connor. Kell did in 665 or so befroe getting whacked. If you count everyone that their
    kills have killed, I doubt that the simple numbers would equivovate.

Additional: while watching "Simpsons" tonight, I counted Duncan's confirmed kills during the commercial breaks. Within the context of the show, Duncan killed "only" sixty Immortals (not counting various flashback kills). What's more, he's only ever killed more than one Immortal in the context of any single episode: Peter Matlin and Liman Kurlow in "Blackmail", and Caspian and Kronos in "Revelations 6:8". This means that he's killed roughly 110 people between 1624 and 1992.

Mark

First Fallen
    3/5/01
    According to my research, from 1992 until the events of Endgame, Duncan took 62 Quickenings, although some of these were through "different" circumstanced ie. Jacob Galati, Alexi Voshin etc. He also proved himself the better swordsman in 72 battles, but allowed some of them live. That gives him an average of about 6 kills a year, since 1992 (assuming Endgame takes place in 2002).

That leaves 112 confirmed kills from the time Duncan killed the Hermit in the cave (Timothy of Gilliam) in 1625, up to 1992. 112 confirmed kills over 367 years gives an average of 0.3 kills per year. Considering how few he probably took in those early years this sounds reasonable. It's not like you could hop in a jet an be in another country in a few hours in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Encountering another Immortal probably didn't happen a lot. Duncan likely went years at a time without coming across another of his kind.

As the world became a smaller place, I'm sure Immortal encounters became more frequent. I will admit that Duncan seems more active than other Immortals. Something that has always amused me is when Joe mentions that Horvant Kant had killed 10 Immortals in the past 5 years as though - "Oooh careful Mac, this guy's a badass." All the while, Duncan had tripled his record.

>Duncan MacLeod amassed 174 immortal kills since becoming immortal in 1624.

Small correction...he became Immortal in 1622.

Mark Nguyen
    3/5/01
    First Fallen wrote:
    >
    > According to my research, from 1992 until the events of Endgame, Duncan took 62 Quickenings, although some of these were through "different" circumstanced ie. Jacob Galati, Alexi Voshin etc. He also proved himself the better swordsman in 72 battles, but allowed some of them live.

Eh? I went over the notes again, and I came up with 59 kills. Plus, he recieved Jacob Galati's quickening. Names follow (interested people write this down! I'm not gonna post it again!

Slan Quince
    Howard Crowley
    Caleb Cole
    Alexei Voshin
    Walter Reinhart
    Andrew Ballin
    Grayson
    Christoph Kuyler
    Carlo Sendaro
    Zachary Blaine
    Gabriel Pitone
    Alfred Cahill

Michael Moore
    Anthony Galen
    Tommy Sullivan
    Xavier St. Cloud
    Nicholas Ward
    Arthur Drake
    Nefertiri
    Luther
    Martin Hyde

Michael Kent
    Kern
    Paul Karros
    Armin Thorne
    Axel Whittaker
    Brian Cullen
    John Garrick
    Peter Matlin
    Liman Kurlow
    Michael Christian
    Ernst Daimler
    Lucas Kagan
    Kalas

Kanwulf
    Andrew Cord
    Tyler King
    Peter Kanis
    Terrence Kinkaid
    Simon Killian
    Paul Kinman
    Kamir
    John Coltec
    Sean Burns
    Damon Case
    Morgan D’Estaing
    [Jacob Galati]

Roland Kantos
    Haresh Clay
    John Kelley
    Gerard Kragen
    Gavriel Larca
    Ingrid Henning
    Caspian
    Kronos
    Otavio Consone
    Lord Byron
    Richie Ryan

Devon Marek
    Liam O’Rourke

Breaks are between seasons. It's in chronological order, I think. Am I
    missing anyone?

Mark

First Fallen
    3/5/01
    >Zachary Blaine

Duncan fought him, but Amanda struck the killing blow and got the Quickening.

I included Jacob Kell and Connor MacLeod in my count, and accidentally counted Richard Tarsis in my original tally (MacLeod killed him in 1930)

The following is an alphabetical listing of the 61 Immortals that Duncan has killed in the 10 year span from the beginning of the series through Endgame:

Andrew Ballin
    Sean Burns
    Lord Byron
    Alfred Cahill
    Damon Case
    Caspian
    Michael Christian
    Haresh Clay
    Caleb Cole
    Coltec
    Otavio Consone
    Andrew Cord