• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-3: Mountain Men, Deadly Medicine, The Sea Witch

Discuss these Season 1 episodes:

Mountain Men
    Deadly Medicine
    The Sea Witch

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Note: Cinedigm has legally uploaded the entire series to YouTube:

Episode 7: "Mountain Men"

Tessa is abducted by the Beastmaster, Marc Singer, and his redneck survivalist group. The opening titles are improved. That's the only positive note.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

• dubiousbystander
      dubiousbystander commented
      Editing a comment
      Mom: His boobs are bouncing as he runs!
      Me: Real men's boobs bounce!

• dubiousbystander
      Editing a comment
      Marc Singer did a fine job. They all did. But he used his moments on camera well, to show the hollow grief of loss and loneliness.
      Last edited by dubiousbystander; 06-28-2017, 10:05 PM.

• dubiousbystander
      Editing a comment
      We also discussed this: Joshua says Caleb took him from his mother when he was eight. Caleb says Joshua's mother went in for a supposedly simple operation and was dead the next day. So... is Caleb lying, or did he just never tell Joshua the truth?

Episode 8: "Deadly Medicine"

Good use of Randi (finally) as well as a creepy little performance from Joey Pants, who wants to play doctor with Duncan.

Comment

Episode 9: "The Sea Witch"

Duncan takes on drug dealers. Weak episode, especially the flashbacks, but the decap is kinda fun. Richie needs better friends.

Comment

I dislike all three episodes, especially Sea Witch's pantomime villain. Proto-Kell in some ways.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoy "Mountain Men," and I've always had a special fondness for "Deadly Medicine." For some reason, I love seeing Mac being made briefly vulnerable by having to fight off something like the effects of a drug.

And I can never forget this story. Episodes didn't air in the order they were filmed. In filming "Bad Day in Building A," stuntmen having to drag a supposedly unconscious Duncan around didn't know what they were doing, and really injured Adrian's back. His back was still aching when they filmed "Deadly Medicine," and the director insisted the villain had to hit him in the back with a chair. Assured him there'd be enough padding that it wouldn't hurt - but of course, it did. And it was after that that he had to do all the action scenes in "Mountain Men." He said that if his screaming sounded believable, it was because he was really in agony!

Comment

Are my remarks on the Mountain Men post visible?

Comment

• Tootsie Bee
              Tootsie Bee commented
              Editing a comment
              Bouncing male boobs and Caleb the liar. It's showing up for me.

Yay! Thank you!

Comment

Mountain Men - My favorite episode of Season 1. The sheer brutality of the fight at the end was never matched. And Marc Singer's character was a total departure from any character he's played. Here in Arkansas, I live around people that talk and act just like Caleb.

Deadly Medicine - Although the story was good, I didn't really like the way it played out.

The Sea Witch - It was OK I suppose. One thing I wasn't too keen on was how Voshin died. I am of the opinion that, to get a Quickening, an immortal has to physically remove another immortal's head. We saw this several times during the show.
              "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

• Wilusa
                Wilusa commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't remember anything about "The Sea Witch." But my understanding is that if an Immortal is beheaded when another Immortal is nearby, the Quickening goes into that "nearby" Immortal.

Originally posted by Wilusa View Post
              I don't remember anything about "The Sea Witch." But my understanding is that if an Immortal is beheaded when another Immortal is nearby, the Quickening goes into that "nearby" Immortal.
              That was my initial thought as well. But when Darius was killed, his Quickening was lost. Also, when the Watchers were about to kill Fitz, he remarked that there would be no Quickening. Perhaps there is some sort of vicinity rule. There were situations during the series where both sides could be debated.

"It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

• Wilusa
                Wilusa commented
                Editing a comment
                There was no other Immortal nearby when Darius was beheaded. And Fitz was also thinking of no other Immortal being nearby. I'm sure the other Immortal would have to be very nearby - within sensing range (though I suspect THAT varies).

• Wilusa
                Wilusa commented
                Editing a comment
                And based on something we saw in Raven, I think that if a pre-Immortal is nearby (but no full Immortal), there's a Quickening that dissipates and doesn't go into anyone.

I recently saw the flashback of Duncan's fight with Caleb in studies in Light and it was brilliant! Marc singer's accent might have been phony but his battle prowess was excellent and I really did believe that he could have taken McLeod's head and his woman as he said!
              JB

Comment

Working...
              X