• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-6: The Beast Below, Saving Grace, The Lady and the Tiger

Discuss these Season 1 episodes:

The Beast Below
    Saving Grace
    The Lady and the Tiger

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Note: Cinedigm has released the episodes on YouTube for free.

Episode 16: "The Beast Below"

Really stupid episode. An opera phantom Ursa is not. Evidence that the show did not improve when it moved to Paris.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 17: "Saving Grace"

Duncan protects his immortal ex from her other immortal ex. Yawn.

Comment

Episode 18: "The Lady and the Tiger"

Strong first appearance for one of the show's most notable recurring characters, Amanda.

Comment

Hate the first, don't care for the second (other than for the Darius appearence) and love, love, love the third. For some reason, its still one of my very favorite Amanda appearences - maybe because she actually clashes with Tessa, which is wonderfully acted by both.

Plus, it has one of my favorite HL lines when Duncan describes, in a perfect nutshell, his entire relationship with Amanda: "Just a bad habit." She sure is, Duncan. She sure has been one.

Comment

Love "The Beast Below." I usually don't like series episodes based on something else (think "It's a Wonderful Life"). But this "Phantom of the Opera" bit worked for me because it was great to see the actual Paris Opera...a swordfight on its roof!...and "catacombs" under it.

Comment

The Beast Below - I liked this episode. We get our first look at an immortal that isn't quite the standard.

Saving Grace - I really like this episode. Jealousy/possessiveness is ugly. Sendaro was a cool character who had no issues stepping up to Duncan. Grace was quite nice to look at.

The Lady and the Tiger- I am one of the few here that was just never a fan of Amanda. And her taking Blaine's head seemed to very much against the rule of one-on-one. I always get a good laugh out of the coin flip scene.
              "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Is there no way to get the songs she sang in The Beast Below? I'd love to listen to them. Or it. Little confused.

Comment

We need a crying guy. "To deny what I was is to deny what I am," he says, and laughs. Werner Stocker was so darned perfect. https://youtu.be/LUFZCXY1JAs?t=4m23s

Every modern scene with Grace and Sendaro together makes my teeth hurt. Actually, everything about his characterization makes my teeth hurt, so I can't figure out why Grace would have been sucker enough to go with him even in the first place. Ouch. Hurts. Painful, and she's so darned helpless. Not to mention that a Church, while Holy Ground, in a nod to realism offers no protection to a woman with a stalker.
                  Last edited by dubiousbystander; 08-09-2017, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I always thought that Zachary Blaine was too strong a character for a one off appearance...
                    JB

Comment

Working...
                    X