• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-2: Turnabout, The Darkness, Eye for an Eye

Discuss these Season 2 episodes:

Turnabout
    The Darkness
    Eye for an Eye

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

All episodes are available on YouTube courtesy of Cinedigm.

Episode 25: "Turnabout"

This episode is not nearly as good as its concept (an immortal with split personalities).

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 26: "The Darkness"

My thoughts on Tessa's final episode can be heard on the Blu-Ray. In short, not bad, but a little too derivative of a certain Jonathan Demme film.

Comment

Episode 27: "Eye for an Eye"

Duncan should not be having sex this soon after Tessa's death.

Comment

Turnabout was a good episode - a great way to make use of Geraint Wyn Davies! And while I didn't want to see Tessa killed, I think "The Darkness" was terrific. Very well-written, a powerful story.

Comment

I'm watching The Darkness right now. It's very hard, partly because I just saw the part where poor Carmen tells Duncan what she read on his palm, and Duncan responds in fear to this flashback by desperately asking Tessa to marry him. They lie contentedly on the floor talking about where they'd be if they never met. It just adds to my negative reaction to the Endgame Kate storyline. It also makes the final episodes' Wonderful Life slightly more poignant, but also terribly depressing.

Comment

Turnabout - The whole concept of an immortal with a split personality is interesting, especially since Michael didn't really know. I like this whole episode. I particularly like the fight at the end. At some point, Duncan just goes into overdrive and hands Michael/Quinten his ass. And we get an introduction to Charlie.

The Darkness - It is a good story. I hate the fact that Tessa died because, well, I am in love with her. I'm sure we would have seen her death at some point. It just seems random to happen the way it did. It looks like a nice neighborhood. Here's a car jacker out of nowhere.

Eye for an Eye - Seeing Richie learn about the ins and outs of immortality is interesting. OK episode. Richie should have lopped her head off though.
              "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

"Turnabout" is really enjoyable...a great way to use guest star Geraint Wyn Davies, who was of course starring in "Forever Knight" at the time. I'm sorry they didn't work out a way for Adrian to do a tit-for-tat guest shot on his show. As I recall, Wyn Davies also did a guest shot on Adrian's short-lived series "Tracker"! (Of course, one big difference between HL:TS and "Forever Knight" was that the writers of "Knight" didn't make any attempt to keep their hero's past timeline consistent.)

As for the actual plot of "Turnabout," I don't remember at what point, when I first saw it, I guessed the character had a split personality.

I think "The Darkness" is a terrific episode, one of the series' best. I had no problem with Tessa being killed, because the actress was leaving by her own choice. As we were told, just because she'd decided she disliked having to spend so much time away from her home in Europe. (Though years later, I heard someone - Bill Panzer? - say that in addition to that, she'd probably realized a supporting role as the hero's love interest wouldn't do anything to advance her career.)
                Last edited by Wilusa; 08-24-2017, 06:18 AM.

Comment

More thoughts about "The Darkness": I think the shocking suddenness of Tessa's death (how it would have affected MacLeod) was very like what often happens in real life. The song "Dust in the Wind" expressed it perfectly. Not that I really believe "all we are is dust in the wind"; but it describes what MacLeod certainly would have been feeling at the time.

And on another level, he'd be wracked by guilt. Tessa wouldn't have been where she was, without a purse or money with her, if she hadn't been involved with him!

Also, Richie wouldn't have been there - wouldn't have become a full Immortal at age 19 - if he hadn't been involved with him. Even in terms of physical development, men don't attain their maximum strength until a few years into their twenties. Plus, Mac had presumably intended to be Richie's teacher when he became a full Immortal. He did that, of course...but at a particularly bad time in his own life, when he had to feel - perhaps wrongly - that he wasn't doing as good a job as he otherwise might have.

Comment

Always my first thought about "Eye for an Eye": I objected to their giving a female Irish revolutionary the surname "Devlin"...the name of a real, non-violent Northern Irish heroine in our own day (Bernadette Devlin).

I had no problem with MacLeod's having sex with another woman, an old friend, so soon after Tessa's death. They were both grieving, finding solace where they could. (And I don't have a problem with his beginning a relationship with Anne soon afterward. People who live for hundreds of years - in "young," healthy bodies - would have to be used to "moving on," even if there's someone they'll always remember as their great love.)

I'm sure Richie's not taking her head was the right ending!

Comment

Just finished going over the official domestic cut of these three episodes, kindly provided by the wonderful Gillian Horvath. I have converted them from their VHS tapes to mpg (m4v) format if anyone is interested in them. Also, the official 'Eurominutes' are now marked out on my transcript pages. [www.zzickle.com/tv/transcripts.html]

And now for the showdown: DVD/European cut vs Domestic cut - who wins?

2x03: Turnabout
                      Domestic cut loses the scene of Tessa doctoring Michael after he 'escapes' from Barnes, a LARGE chunk of the final confrontation between Duncan and Barnes in the construction yard, and the artsy parts of Duncan's kata in the tag scene. A lot of the final confrontation, with them chasing each other around the construction yard and Michael/Quenten switching back and forth, is unnecessary IMO and the artsy kata feels like they were short and trying to fill out the time allotment, so...

Winner: Domestic cut!

2x04: The Darkness
                      Domestic cut loses a scene between Duncan and Richie that, while nice, doesn't really add anything special to the episode IMO. Also, the short clip of Richie reviving after being shot is gone. Since it's pretty obvious in the tag that he isn't dead, and since we get to see an expanded version of the clip in a later episode (Leader of the Pack), for this episode, I have to say...

Winner: Domestic cut!

2x05: An Eye for an Eye
                      Domestic cut loses a lot of the training montage in the woods, plus the scene where we are given backstory for Charlie. I love that training montage. It's about the only time where we REALLY see Duncan training Richie to survive as an Immortal. For this episode...

Winner: DVD/European cut!

Updated tally:
                      Domestic = 3
                      DVD/European = 2
                      Last edited by Zzickle; 04-11-2020, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Very good fight at the finale and anybody here think that Geraint Wyn Davies looks like Roddy Piper?
                        JB

Comment

Working...
                        X