• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-3: The Zone, The Return of Amanda, Revenge of the Sword

Discuss these Season 2 episodes:

The Zone
    The Return of Amanda
    Revenge of the Sword

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Cinedigm has provided every episode on YouTube:

Episode 28: "The Zone"

I like the idea of Duncan taking to the streets to fight for this disenfranchised section of Seacouver. And it's one of the best Charlie stories, too. So there.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 29: "The Return of Amanda"

Liz Gracen is perfect in her return to the role of Amanda, and I had no problem when Duncan bedded her in the episode (unlike the "Eye for an Eye" affair). The WWII Germany scenes were excellent as well. But did we really need half of "Lady & The Tiger" thrown in as a flashback?

Comment

Episode 30: "Revenge of the Sword"

I hated this episode. I couldn't care less about this movie star friend of Charlie's, and it just seemed to plod along.

Comment

The Zone - Well, it is better than Bless The Child. The bad guy should have been immortal. Then it would have made more sense for a Watcher to be hanging around.

The Return of Amanda - I am not an Amanda fan. Sorry kids.

Revenge of the Sword - I agree with Bee for the most part. However, the fight between Duncan and Johnny is one of my favorites of the series. Grandfather Lao is a unique character. They should have let him live.
          "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Just finished going over the official domestic cut of these three episodes, kindly provided by the wonderful Gillian Horvath. I have converted them from their VHS tapes to mpg (m4v) format if anyone is interested in them. Also, the official 'Eurominutes' are now marked out on my transcript pages. [www.zzickle.com/tv/transcripts.html]

And now for the showdown: DVD/European cut vs Domestic cut - who wins?

2x06: The Zone
            For me, this episode’s saving grace is Michael Shanks. All of his scenes survive intact in the domestic cut; most of the scenes dropped are just of Duncan wandering around the zone, interacting with residents (including Old Tom from the ‘Prophecy’ flashback of Duncan’s childhood village). Nothing special or particularly interesting, so...

Winner: Domestic cut!

2x07: The Return of Amanda
            On the upside, the domestic cut loses most of the flashback from “The Lady and the Tiger”. On the downside, it also loses the beginning of Amanda and Duncan in bed, talking. I like that scene, but the flashback is ridiculously long and pretty much completely unnecessary (since you can just go watch the episode again if you really wanted to), so for this episode, I have to say...

Winner: Domestic cut!

2x08: Revenge of the Sword
            Domestic cut shortens the “Family Tree” flashback. It also cuts a lot of the conversation between Charlie and Jimmy before his demonstration at the park (plus the beginning of the demonstration). Neither of these cuts are a big loss. However, we also lose the second half of Duncan’s conversation with Lao, which adds depth to that character and ties into him dying later. Overall, I think I have to call this one a...

Winner: Tie!

Updated tally:
            Domestic = 5.5
            DVD/European = 2.5
            Last edited by Zzickle; 04-12-2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Revenge of The Sword had some good fights but you could tell that Adrian and Vernon Rieta were good friends during their face off scenes! I was sure that Rieta had appeared in more episodes but apparently not and was Manny in Highlander 4! But I do recall Adrian saying how tough Vernon was in the video commentaries!
              JB

Comment

I liked how Duncan slammed Canaan in the finale!!! The Zone was a strange episode apart from that with The Watchers involved in a derelict part of town but not knowing if Canaan was an immortal, to be or not?
                JB

Comment

I somehow get the feeling that Adrian and Elisabeth might have been involved when they were in episodes together! They glow around each other whenever they're around each other and it wasn't long before Adrian and Meilani had seperated...does anyone know anything?
                  JB

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybear View Post
                    I somehow get the feeling that Adrian and Elisabeth might have been involved when they were in episodes together! They glow around each other whenever they're around each other and it wasn't long before Adrian and Meilani had separated...does anyone know anything?
                    JB
                    I honestly don't think they were involved with each other. Adrian glowed with several of the women who were Duncan's love interests. He glowed more with Sheila Moore. who played the aged Linda Plager, for the parts of their single episode. He glowed with Alexandra Vandernoot, and they were not a thing at all.

Comment

Yes Tessa but he and Amanda were like secret but naughty I always thought! And something seemed to spill over from their meetings in the series!
                      JB

Comment

Working...
                      X