• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-4: Run for Your Life, Epitaph for Tommy, The Fighter

Discuss these Season 2 episodes:

Run for Your Life
    Epitaph for Tommy
    The Fighter

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Cinedigm provides each episode for viewing on YouTube.

Episode 31: "Run for Your Life"

It starts off weak, but by the end, I was really rooting for Robinson to regain the ability to hope.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 32: "Epitaph for Tommy"

The Fabulous Freebirds appeared in the original movie, but they didn't act in it. Rowdy Roddy Piper breaks ground for Edge in Endgame. Bleh.

Comment

Episode 33: "The Fighter"

AKA "Duncan's A Self-Righteous Jerk." Sure, Sully was completely out of line, but come on, Duncan! You can't just go around beheading everyone you disagree with! If Duncan were killing an old friend for the sake of the Game, that would be one thing; but who died and made him the moral judge of the immortals?

Comment

Run for Your Life - It's a good story, being more about renegade Watchers. It makes me wonder how many other immortals Duncan told. At this point in the series, he is definitely unsure of them.

Epitaph for Tommy - I am a HUGE wrestling fan and Roddy Piper is one of my all-time favorite wrestlers. It was an OK story. Roddy was the show's saving grace. To note, in this season, Duncan wore some very ugly jackets. The wardrobe person should have been slapped a few times.

The Fighter - Good fight at the end. I am a fan of Bruce Weitz, but he doesn't seem to fit the immortal character.
          "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Just finished going over the official domestic cut of these three episodes, kindly provided by the wonderful Gillian Horvath. I have converted them from their VHS tapes to mpg (m4v) format if anyone is interested in them. Also, the official 'Eurominutes' are now marked out on my transcript pages. [www.zzickle.com/tv/transcripts.html]

And now for the showdown: DVD/European cut vs Domestic cut - who wins?

2x09: Run for Your Life
            The domestic cut loses a full minute of rednecks chasing Carl and his friends along a forest stream, and a two and a half minute montage of Duncan driving around Seacouver looking for Carl.Do I even have to say it…?

Winner: Domestic cut!

2x10:Epitaph for Tommy
            The domestic cut loses DM driving to Honniger’s estate, Suzanne & Gallen groping each other an additional 20 seconds in Honniger’s office, and the whole flashbacks-while-being-held-out-a-window montage. Once again, it all seems like stuff that needed trimming, so...

Winner: Domestic cut!

2x11: The Fighter
            Domestic cut loses the opening stock footage and part of the flashback fight with Brock, as well as some bits and pieces from various other scenes. The biggest loss is the entirety of the scene in the empty lot where Duncan and Charlie talk about boxing and childhood heroes. If it weren’t for that, the domestic cut would win, but instead I’m calling it a...

Winner: Tie!

Updated tally:
            Domestic = 8
            DVD/European = 3
            Last edited by Zzickle; 04-12-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X