• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-1: The Samurai, Line of Fire, The Revolutionary

Discuss these Season 3 episodes:

The Samurai
    Line of Fire
    The Revolutionary

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

All episodes courtesy of Cinedigm.

Episode 45: "The Samurai"

A good flashback story. A unsatisfactory modern-day story, complete with weak acting and unnecessary filler. The final fight was unimpressive, and the Quickening was more like the Splashening. Taken as a whole, the episode was mediocre, but the Japan flashbacks really made it worth watching.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 46: "Line of Fire"

Great flashback story, especially when Who Wants To Live Forever comes in. Weak, predictable modern subplot with Richie. The final fight/quickening was so embarrassing that it moved this from one of the better episodes in the series to one of the more absurd. As with The Samurai, it's only worthwhile for the flashbacks.

Comment

Episode 47: "The Revolutionary"

Duncan plays moral judge again and kills yet another old friend. I don't remember Karros saying, "Hey Duncan, do you want to butt into my affairs and kill me?" To be fair, Dr. Anne manages to be even more devoid of redeeming qualities than Duncan. Overall, dull and unremarkable.

Comment

The Samurai - Although prior to this, it was indicated Duncan received his sword from Connor, I enjoyed the story of how Duncan came into possession of his katana as well as learning some of his early martial arts.

Line of Fire - The story was OK. Kern was a particularly brutal immortal. The confession scene was amusing.

The Revolutionary - I really like this episode and have viewed it many times. Karros makes a good bad guy. I think the key to a successful bad guy is, no matter what they do, they feel they are in the right and therefor are justified in their behavior. This is a good case of that. The fight at the end is good and this is one of the few episodes we get the tag line "There can be only one".
          "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Just finished going over the official domestic cut of these three episodes, kindly provided by the wonderful Gillian Horvath. I have converted them from their VHS tapes to mpg (m4v) format if anyone is interested in them. Also, the official 'Eurominutes' are now marked out on my transcript pages. [www.zzickle.com/tv/transcripts.html]

And now for the showdown: DVD/European cut vs Domestic cut - who wins?

3x01: The Samurai
            The domestic cut for this episode has SO many small cuts it is impossible to list them all here. If you want the details, check out the transcript at my website (see link above). A lot of the cuts are so small/insignificant that they are not missed, but there is a decent amount of dialogue and character interaction that is cut, particularly between Duncan and Charlie.Another tough one to call, but overall, I think I like the DVD/European version better, so...

Winner: DVD/European cut!

3x02:Line of Fire
            I feel like none of the scenes missing from the domestic cut add anything of major significance. We do lose Duncan running out of the church too late to stop Kern from riding away, and later searching for Kern at the docks and the bar before hassling the motel clerk, which arguably flesh out the story a TINY bit, but the rest really don’t add anything. The biggest cut is the scene between Kern and Donna on the sidewalk. That whole scene feels awkward and somewhat forced to me and I think the episode truly benefits from it being gone.

Winner: Domestic cut!

3x03: The Revolutionary
            The domestic cut loses a couple of unimportant scenes (Karros, Duncan and the rebels fighting the Mexican army, for instance), but it also loses a lot of Charlie and Mara’s interactions (the whole beginning of the scene at Duncan’s loft, and later Charlie asking Mara if she and Karros are involved with each other). Charlie actually leaves the show at the end of the episode to go help Mara, and these cut scenes help build the characters toward that outcome (although if you’re not a Charlie fan, you might argue that the remaining scenes between them are sufficient), so I say...

Winner: DVD/European cut!

Updated tally:
            Domestic = 15
            DVD/European = 10

Comment

Working...
            X