• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-3: The Lamb, Obsession, Shadows

Discuss these Season 3 episodes:

The Lamb
    Obsession
    Shadows

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

All episodes courtesy of Cinedigm:

Episode 51: "The Lamb"

See, this is why the first death concept is so idiotic. Killer kids...ugh. The episode is mediocre except for when Kenny goes into psycho mode. And Duncan was flat-out wrong for defending him. Dunkie takes people's heads for doing "bad" things all the time, but since Kenny looks young, he feels sorry for the little devil?

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 52: "Obsession"

Here's a ground-breaking episode: an old friend shows up, Duncan tries to help him with his problems, and Mac ultimately fights the guy in the end.

Comment

Episode 53: "Shadows"

Too bad such a fantastic decapitation and quickening were wasted on a mediocre episode. Richie's off in a pointless subplot. Dr. Anne's pulling a Brenda Wyatt on Duncan's past. The flashbacks are laughable. The power of illusion seems to make a cameo, undermining the cool Jungian thing that was going on earlier. The whole thing reeks of proto-Ahriman.

Comment

I've always loved "Shadows." I like it when Mac is briefly vulnerable, and has to fight off the effects of something like a drug.

Comment

The Lamb - Kenny ... my god why didn't they kill off this twit. I liked the other episode he appeared in much more than this one.

Obsession - The story is OK I suppose. This supports my theory that love is stupid.

Shadows - I like this episode. I have seen it quite a few times. At one time, I had not cable and this was the only episode I had on VHS. Garrik looks like a member of Deep Purple. I would like to have seen him last a few episodes, kind of like Kalas did. Richie's reaction to seeing him in his disguise when he came to the dojo was good. Times like that would have been good for a colorful metaphor.
            "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

The Lamb is forgivable if only for the fact that it reminds the audience of Duncan's Dulcinea complex. Or whatever the juvenile equivalent is.

But it did add a layer of complexity to the Highlander universe by introducing the concept of an immortal who died at 10 and the terrifying implications of what he would've had to do to survive 800 years.

Let's face it, history has not been kind to children especially orphans. The idea of childhood is a recent concept in and of itself. And given that we've seen good immortals go bad for any number of reasons you can kinda forgive Kenny for not taking chances with the ones who were kind to him.

What we're seeing here is the culmination of nearly a millennium of having to live like this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfEmperor View Post
                The Lamb is forgivable if only for the fact that it reminds the audience of Duncan's Dulcinea complex. Or whatever the juvenile equivalent is.

But it did add a layer of complexity to the Highlander universe by introducing the concept of an immortal who died at 10 and the terrifying implications of what he would've had to do to survive 800 years.

Let's face it, history has not been kind to children especially orphans. The idea of childhood is a recent concept in and of itself. And given that we've seen good immortals go bad for any number of reasons you can kinda forgive Kenny for not taking chances with the ones who were kind to him.

What we're seeing here is the culmination of nearly a millennium of having to live like this.
                Besides that, he would have met plenty of Immortals just like the ones Duncan faced. Kalas, who led the (hahah) lambs to the slaughter. Damon Case, who makes it as close to holy as he can, but even so is there to take heads. Charles Browning, who rescued Duncan, made him happily drunk, then tried to take his head. And his Watcher Chronicle paints him as one heck of a great guy in his youth.

And with the propensity, historically, of men in cloth to relieve their needs with the boys in their reach, Holy Ground wouldn't have been haven for him except from head-hunters.

Comment

The other thing to remember is that when you're immortal, your body doesn't change at all. Kenny is an old man chronologically but he has the body and the brain of a ten year old, with a ten year-old's problem solving skills.

Leaving a sword lying around isn't smart for any immortal and yet Duncan has knowingly gone places without a weapon. But Duncan also has the strength and skill to survive without causing unnecessary harm.

Kenny had to kill a homeless man for a sandwich.

By the 20th century you'd think he would have developed problem solving skills that wouldn't put innocent mortals in danger. But again, it's hard to judge when I have the body of a grown man and the ability to navigate in society without raising questions.

I'm just saying that for me the moral event horizon is when he caused deliberate harm to people who were not involved with the Game.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfEmperor View Post
                    I'm just saying that for me the moral event horizon is when he caused deliberate harm to people who were not involved with the Game.
                    That is exactly when Duncan stopped defending him - when he found out that Ross's wife was mortal.

Comment

Just finished going over the official domestic cut of these three episodes, kindly provided by the wonderful Gillian Horvath. I have converted them from their VHS tapes to mpg (m4v) format if anyone is interested in them. Also, the official 'Eurominutes' are now marked out on my transcript pages. [www.zzickle.com/tv/transcripts.html]

And now for the showdown: DVD/European cut vs Domestic cut - who wins?

3x07: The Lamb
                      There are some really good scenes removed from thedomestic cut for this episode: Duncan and Richie’s conversation about the boat, Anne asking Duncan about his family, a bit of additional background about Ross from Joe, Anne being initially reluctant to say something about how ‘troubled’ Kenny is, Kenny (and Duncan) running into a paramedic outside the hospital parking garage, and Anne greeting Duncan when he gets back to the loft after chasing Kenny and asking him to stop acting like Rambo.All these scenes make this one easy...

Winner: DVD/European cut!

3x08:Obsession
                      The two main cuts from this episode are of extra square dancing and the Lakota flashback from “Line of Fire”... and I think I’ve already made my feelings clear regarding long flashbacks re-used from previous episodes.

Winner: Domestic cut!

3x09: Shadows
                      The domestic cut of this episode loses 5 scenes: Anny trying to talk Duncan into going out with her at the beginning of Act 1, Duncan & Anne walking back to the T-bird from Garrick’s exhibition, their conversation later where Anne gives Duncan the bottle of sleeping pills, Garrick taking out Richie in the dojo before going up to the loft to face Duncan, and Duncan & Richie discussing Garrick’s pyschic abilities at the beginning of the tag.I think all of these are worth keeping, so...

Winner: DVD/European cut!

Updated tally:
                      Domestic = 17.5
                      DVD/European = 13.5

Comment

I am with you 100% on the tally for these three, Zzickle!

Comment

The Lamb - When I did write a Highlander story, the first thing I did was bump off Kenny, yeah, he was playing the game the only way he knew how, but he was still a little puke. Not a great episode.
                          Obsession - Meh. Good only in that it showed not every one is okay with the Immortal thing. Pretty Mediocre.
                          Shadows - So stupid, really hated this one, anything that even smacks of 'powers' makes me cringe.

Comment

Working...
                          X