• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-6: Methos, Take Back the Night, Testimony

Discuss these Season 3 episodes:

Methos
    Take Back the Night
    Testimony

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Episodes courtesy of Cinedigm:

Episode 60: "Methos"

Kalas is at his most threatening, Methos makes his glorious first appearance, the flashback is fantastic, and Richie's talk about racing finally pays off!.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 61: "Take Back the Night"

Eh, it was okay. Certain scenes felt like they were straight out of a music video. Maurice seemed out of character, and that's not a bad thing.

Comment

Episode 62: "Testimony"

Kinda lousy. The villain looked too young. Richie gets to play the kidnapped bait for MacLeod, but at least he restores his dignity by killing the villain. Dr. Anne returns for no good reason, and she and Duncan reenact a scene from the original film.

Comment

Methos from the begining was a character I really like... his appareance opened many posibilities in the show

Comment

Methos - Great episode. We are introduced to Death. Plus, we learn yet another reason why Kaloas hates Mac.

Take Back the Night - I enjoyed this one. Richie learns the price of public death and we meet Ceirdwyn. For the record, she is quite yummy.

Testimony - Unlike others, I enjoyed this one. Seeing Duncan tell Anne the truth was good. Then Richie and Mac having to explain Richie's situation to Anne made me chuckle. I consider Richie killing Kristov to be his first legit kill. I say this because Mako fell through something was was stuck.
            "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Ah yes! The first Immortal we know of that Richie actually defeated in combat, rather than from luck.

Comment

Just finished going over the official domestic cut of these three episodes, kindly provided by the wonderful Gillian Horvath. I have converted them from their VHS tapes to mpg (m4v) format if anyone is interested in them. Also, the official 'Eurominutes' are now marked out on my transcript pages. [www.zzickle.com/tv/transcripts.html]

And now for the showdown: DVD/European cut vs Domestic cut - who wins?

3x16: Methos
                There are two story lines in this episode: Methos and Motorcycles.The domestic cut loses approximately three minutes of Methos and a minute and a half of Motorcycles. TBH, my preferred version of this episode would have 48 minutes of Methos and ZERO minutes of Motorcycles... Also, I definitely prefer the longer version of the scene where Duncan finds Salzer in the bookshop and Salzer tries to communicate with him by writing on the paper before he dies, rather than the domestic cut version where he dies as soon as Duncan gets there, and then Duncan finds the paper with 2 random letters written on it that may or may not be ‘ME’.

Winner: DVD/European cut!

3x17:Take Back the Night
                This one is a bit of a mixed bag. Most of the cuts are non-dialogue extensions of scenes – more fighting in the Celtic flashback, a close-up of Ceirdwyn’s sword as she grabs it to go out hunting for her husband’s killers, 45 more seconds of Duncan, Paolo, and Ceirdwyn playing hide-and-seek in the warehouse, and Paolo stealing a hot dog at the race track. On the other hand, the last few cuts actually have some worth: Ceirdwyn reminiscing to Duncan about her husband, then visiting his grave and setting aside her vendetta, plus some additional conversation between Joe and Anne in the tag. “Trust me, you want a drink.”Domestic cut wins the first half, DVD cut wins the second half...

Winner: Tie!

3x18: Testimony
                Most of the cuts in this episode are interactions between Duncan and Anne. I do like the longer version of the flashback of Duncan meeting Bohdan, but I am pretty okay with every other cut made here. I am sure there must be some Anne fans out there somewhere that would argue otherwise, but...

Winner: Domestic cut!

Updated tally:
                Domestic = 21.5
                DVD/European = 18.5

Comment

I loved the Kalas storyline and was quite shocked to learn that Adrian and David Robb didn't hit it off in real life! Although I could guess as Robb looked to be a smarmy kind of guy but wasn't it something to with Robb insulting Adrian's brother or something that started it off?
                  JB

Comment

Working...
                  X