• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-7: Mortal Sins, Reasonable Doubt, Finale

Discuss these Season 3 episodes:

Mortal Sins
    Reasonable Doubt
    Finale

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

All episodes are available on YouTube from Cinedigm.

Episode 63: "Mortal Sins"

Dr. Anne is pregnant. Thankfully, she leaves again.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 64: "Reasonable Doubt"

A Maurice-centered episode? And it's actually really good?!

Comment

Episode 65: "Finale, Part 1"

Methos returns! The Watcher subplot is intriguing. The Xavier flashback was great. Amanda kicks butt! But Kalas and his gang are laughable.

Comment

Episode 66: "Finale, Part 2"

Kalas finally dies after overstaying his welcome. Cool quickening at the end.

Comment

I've always liked "Mortal Sins." Good story in the present, and a great flashback. (And I've gotten a real kick out of the story about the director's having made a big fuss about the color of the supposed communion wine - I think they had to make it white to appease him, then artificially "colored" it red.)

And thinking of this episode in relation to Anne Lindsay...I've never understood why many fans disliked Mac's relationship with Anne, and even the people connected with the show thought there was no "chemistry" there. Even though I want to think of Mac always remembering Tessa as his great love, I liked the relationship with Anne, viewed as short-term. But I also liked the way it ended, in this episode.

Comment

A quick note about "Finale": Remember, at the end, there was a "teaser" showing another copy of that disc on a shelf in the bookstore? I made a note at a convention that the writers said they really did think of having it go public...which would have changed the series completely! MacLeod would have been - supposedly - moving from one city to another every week, trying to avoid being captured. They dropped the idea because they couldn't figure out how Joe could plausibly be following him around.

Comment

That development would have worked better at the beginning of Season 5. There was no need for a big shakeup at the end of Season 3.

Comment

Just watching Finale now. It occurred to me, having not seen it in so long, to wonder what so many of the cons were focused on Kalas about. I mean, for the initial murder attempt that we saw. Heh. There are probably fanfics.

Comment

The two chapters of Finale I really really enjoy them...those chapters made me to love the serie

Comment

Hello, all. For anyone following my 'DVD/European cut vs Domestic cut' showdown, I am sad to report that I do NOT have the official domestic cuts for these four episodes. So I am skipping them and moving on. See you at 'Homeland'!

Comment

Thank you for all you do, Zzickle!

Comment

Finale could have been a good ending to the whole series if you think about it! I'm not sure there was a better big time villain after Kalas to be honest!
                          JB

Comment

Adrian has gone on record to state that he and David Robb didn't get on very well. Robb always looked to me to be a so and so kind of guy, good actor, especially here but does anyone know why they didn't like each other? I heard it was something to do with Adrian's brother and Robb making some comment or other about him...
                            JB

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybear View Post
                              I heard it was something to do with Adrian's brother and Robb making some comment or other about him...
                              JB
                              So far I heard the same thing you heard.

Comment

Thanks, Dubious but I still wonder what happened?
                                JB

Comment

I was reading up on old posts and found this one:

Posted by Shomeret in alt.tv.highlander
                                  14 years ago

Highlander Character Seminar: Duncan MacLeod in Finale Part II

Duncan and Amanda are admiring the Eiffel Tower. Duncan says that he remembers that fights broke out over it on the Champs Elysee when it was first built, with some claiming that it would ruin the city.

Amanda comments that now you can't imagine Paris without it. She can imagine coming to Paris to view the Eiffel Tower forever. "If they let us," says Duncan gloomily thinking of Christine Salzer's plan to out Immortals.

Duncan then says that when Amanda was being held by Kalas, he thought that he'd lost her and he didn't like that feeling.

Amanda notices that Duncan is preoccupied by something else. Duncan says he's worried about the consequences of being outed. Amanda says they'd been through witchhunts before. Duncan says this time is different. Immortals would be used or destroyed. Amanda realizes that Duncan is right and says "I'm not ready for this." "Neither am I," Duncan responds. "No one is."

In their next scene Duncan and Amanda are now on top of the Eiffel Tower. She suggests that they jump. Duncan decides that they should dance instead. They tango on top of the Eiffel Tower. The tourists applaud. Afterwards, Duncan asks Amanda how she managed to get him to do that. "Because you love it," says Amanda.

Duncan has a flashback to the Ottoman court in 1753. The Sultan says that he could someone familiar with Western armies. Duncan says he can't stay. The Sultan orders belly dancers to perform to change Duncan's mind. Amanda is one of them. She whispers to Duncan to get her out of there. Then she gets tangled in her scarf and trips over it. Duncan is highly entertained by this. He tells the Sultan that "the pale one" doesn't know what she's doing. The Sultan responds that she's new to belly dancing, but has other talents. The Sultan wonders which dancer interests Duncan. Amanda kicks him. Duncan says "The clumsy one with special skills." Amanda is dragged away by guards. The Sultan says that Duncan must choose another. Amanda is a thief and will be punished. The Sultan recommends a Persian dancer with "truly special skills". Duncan laughs appreciatively.

We next see Duncan helping Amanda fight the Sultan's guards. Duncan is shot in the behind by an arrow. When they've escaped the palace, Duncan moans in pain while Amanda removes it. He's angry at her until she offers to kiss it and make it better. "How much better?" he demands. Then she kisses him, but not in the wounded area.

In the present Duncan and Amanda kiss after the tango and laugh breathlessly. Duncan says that if life as they know it ends, he wants her to know... He hesitates. Amanda says she knows that he loves her and always has.

Later Duncan and Amanda approach the barge. Amanda suggests they go to a tropical island and stay there for a few decades. Duncan makes no response. Methos is waiting for them. Methos says that he thought they'd be packed and on a plane by now. Amanda says she tried to get Duncan to consider that. Methos informs them that Christine Salzer
                                  and the Tribune editor who had agreed to listen to her were both dead. "How?" asks Duncan glaring at Methos. Methos says someone else got there ahead of him. Duncan then asks about the Watcher CD. Methos thinks Watcher Jacques Vemas killed Christine and the editor, then took the CD. Duncan thinks it might have been Kalas. Amanda wonders how Kalas would have known about the CD. She thinks Duncan is
                                  being paranoid.

Duncan turns out to be right. He finds Kalas soon after Kalas has killed Vemas. Kalas taunts Duncan with always being "a day late and a dollar short". Duncan accuses Kalas of having killed Christine Salzer and the editor. Kalas says he did all Immortals a favor. Duncan says that Kalas has no rules. Kalas doesn't see the need for any. Duncan says there is one and draws his sword. Kalas' tame psychopath, Nino, attacks Duncan from behind. Duncan breaks Nino's arm. Nino starts
                                  bawling. Kalas terminates him. Then Kalas tells Duncan that if he's killed, the Watcher CD gets transmitted to all the news agencies. Kalas leaves. Duncan broods.

When Duncan returns to the barge, he tells Amanda about the situation. Amanda thinks he should just kill Kalas. Methos arrives. Duncan and Methos do a walk and talk. Methos philosophizes about the rise and fall of civilizations. Duncan says he's concerned about individuals and lists those he cares about. "Our world is not an ant farm," Duncan declares. Then Methos brightens and says that if Duncan dies, "Amanda is free to date." "That's a comfort," says Duncan
                                  sarcastically.

While Duncan was gone, Amanda took on Kalas and escaped before he could take her head. When Duncan returns, he lectures Amanda on the risk she took. "Have you any idea what will happen if that disk goes public?" "Yes!" says Amanda. "You stay alive." When Duncan tells her to stay out of it, Amanda leaves looking irate.

Duncan walks into Paris Watcher HQ where Joe seems to be in charge. He's demanding that Kalas be found. Duncan says "There are ten million people in Paris. You guys can't be everywhere." All the Watchers stop what they're doing to stare at Duncan. Joe says to them, "Yeah, it's Duncan MacLeod. You got a problem with that? Get back to work." Joe tells Duncan that the Watchers will Kalas if they
                                  find him. Duncan is bothered at this abandonment of Watcher neutrality. "He hunts us, we hunt him," says Joe savagely. Then Joe asks Duncan if he can defeat Kalas. "Maybe," says Duncan and adds that the Watchers had better find their CD.

Kalas kills Amanda's Watcher who had tailed Kalas to his lair while he is reporting to Joe on the phone. Then Kalas seizes the phone and tells Joe that Duncan had better meet with him tonight "or else we're all on CNN." When Duncan asks Joe if the Watchers can find Kalas, Joe responds that the dead Watcher hadn't had time to give Joe the address he was calling from.

Duncan goes to meet Amanda. She apologizes for being "a pain in the ass" all the centuries he's known her (and it was literal in the case of the arrow in the flashback). Duncan tells her that she is worth it. Amanda gives Duncan her Methuselah crystal for luck. She also tries to say that she loves Duncan, and Duncan responds in the format she used but without using the word "love" which he still can't say.
                                  He says "I know... and you always have." She kisses him. Duncan leaves to bring an end to their Kalas problem.

Duncan and Kalas meet on top of the Eiffel Tower. Duncan says it's a great place to die. Kalas asks whether Duncan plans to fight or surrender his head. Duncan fights and skewers Kalas. Kalas reminds him of the consequences of taking his head. "Stay noble, MacLeod," says Kalas. "It's what you're good at." Then a storm begins and lightning strikes the Eiffel Tower. Duncan realizes that the Tower itself is a way out of his dilemma. "The Eiffel Tower, the world's
                                  biggest lightning rod!" Duncan exclaims. Then he beheads Kalas. The quickening courses through Duncan and the Eiffel Tower. All over Paris electrical items short out and explode including Kalas' computer. After the quickening, Duncan descends from the Tower. Amanda kisses and embraces him.

Next we see Duncan, Amanda, Joe and Methos celebrating with champagne at the barge. Duncan wants to toast the memories of his friends Fitz and Paul who lost their heads to Kalas. Joe says in agreement, "To old friends," "And to new ones," Duncan adds. They clink glasses and drink. Joe gives Duncan the melted Watcher CD.

After Joe and Methos leave, Duncan returns Amanda's crystal saying "Guess it worked." Amanda reminds him of them saying they loved each other. Duncan wonders if Amanda wants him to take it back. "Not tonight," says Amanda and they immediately start to get physical.

Questions For Further Study

1)When Parisians were fighting in the street over the Eiffel Tower, what was Duncan's opinion about it? Did he think it was worth fighting over?

2)In the flashback, did Duncan tell the Sultan he couldn't stay because he knew Amanda had stolen the Sultan's jewels?

3)How did Duncan manage to leave the Sultan's presence in order to help Amanda with the guards? The Sultan was expecting Duncan to select a dancer. What did he tell the Sultan at that point?

4)Why is Duncan unable to use the word "love" when it comes to his relationship with Amanda while still recognizing that this is what he feels toward her?

5)What does Duncan feel when Methos says "If you die, Amanda is free to date"? Does it bother Duncan that Methos is interested in Amanda?

6)Was Duncan the one who chose the Eiffel Tower as his meeting place with Kalas for their final duel? Since he didn't seem to know what effect the Tower might have on a quickening before the storm hit, why would Duncan have chosen the Eiffel Tower?

7)Duncan calls the Eiffel Tower a lightning rod. Does he know what a lightning rod is supposed to do? Should the function of a lightning rod be part of Duncan's knowledge base?

Yes, the Eiffel Tower attracts lightning, and that's why it has a lightning rod built into it. The Tower was severely damaged by lightning in 1902. A lightning rod is supposed to safely conduct lightning into the earth, so that the charge doesn't damage the structure or cause electrical objects to explode all over Paris. So the Eiffel Tower quickening in this episode is really cool, but it couldn't have happened that way. I learned about lightning rods in high school. I know that Duncan never went to high school, but I would have thought that Duncan should have heard about what lightning rods do at some point during his four hundred years.

Next week I hope to post about Joe in this episode.

Comment

Working...
                                  X