• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-2: Glory Days, Dramatic License, Money No Object

Discuss these Season 5 episodes:

Glory Days
    Dramatic License
    Money No Object

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Can't say I like any of those episodes. Early season five was rough.

Comment

Episodes courtesy of Cinedigm.

Episode 91: "Glory Days"

Not a good episode. Duncan has to face a young man that he knew in 1929, and the guest star playing the villain was intolerably annoying. The fight is a pathetic variation of the first fight from the original movie. Joe has a dull affair subplot that goes nowhere.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 92: "Dramatic License"

The writers understood their viewership by this point, so they developed this witty jab at romance novels. Duncan and Amanda find themselves in the middle of a feud between a novelist and her immortal lover, and the resulting episode is an ideal blend of humor and genuine relationship issues.

Comment

Episode 93: "Money No Object"

It would be hard to conceive of a funnier Highlander episode. The show is in full Looney Tunes mode, with comic explosions and madcap hilarity all around. I usually despise the comedy episodes, but this is a grand exception!

Comment

The two comedy episodes here make me think of an aspect of HL:TS about which I'm...ambivalent. I'm glad that over the years, on the DVDs and elsewhere, the writers told us a lot of "inside stories." But in some cases, I think I, at least, was told too much, and it lessened my enjoyment of episodes. It was fascinating to learn that the writers discovered comedy scripts were running short because actors uwittingly talked faster when they were doing comedy. But they went on to tell us scenes were included in these comedy episodes for "padding," and weren't good fits. Especially in "Money no Object," where they had MacLeod doing something they really didn't want him to do!

Other cases of "being told too much": crticism of guest stars' acting, and in at least one instance, gripes that they hadn't gotten a specific other actor for the role.

Comment

Working...
            X