• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-5: The Ransom of Richard Redstone, Duende, The Stone of Scone

Discuss these Season 5 episodes:

The Ransom of Richard Redstone
    Duende
    The Stone of Scone

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

I don't Ransom, but I do love the other two. Not the most substantial HL episodes out there, but fun in their own ways. "Duende" has the most sophisticated swordfight in the history of the show (and maybe the franchise), and as such it's lovely to watch, and Stone is an all-around amusing tale of mystery and mishaps.

Comment

"Ransom" was too silly for my taste. But "Duende" is terrific. And while I prefer drama to comedy, "The Stone of Scone" really is a terrific comedy. And it's always great to see Hugh Fitcairn!

Comment

Episodes courtesy of Cinedigm.

Episode 100: "The Ransom of Richard Redstone"

In the wake of the Horsemen arc, all of the intrigue is lost for the sake of a lame comedy episode. Richie pops up again for a forced farce that has the audacity to rip off the James Bond theme (as well as a scene from Goldeneye). A new love interest is introduced and immediately forgotten, and it's all so pointless considering what happens at the end of the season. It might have worked if played straight.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 101: "Duende"

An almost-great episode that is hindered by a present-day story that's a tad underwhelming. The flashbacks are quite good, Consone makes for a great villain, the fight scenes are splendid, and the final Quickening is arguably the best one in the entire series. Oh, and there's some decent dancing, too.

Comment

• Aleander
            Aleander commented
            Editing a comment
            I dunno, I think the one in Finale Pt. 2 is a good contender. And the supporting characters in the Present Day are good, too.

Episode 102: "The Stone of Scone"

Yet another silly Fitz episode, this time set completely in the past, albeit in two different periods. The episode opens with a storybook, which informs the audience to expect more low-brow cartoonish humor. Bad period costumes abound in the backstory. Thankfully, the 1950s sections are saved by the presence of Amanda, who is delightful as usual. Also, the newsreels were a nice touch. Overall, it's not one of the worst comedy episodes.

Comment

• Aleander
            Aleander commented
            Editing a comment
            I "killed" the piggish Immortal of this story in HL3, you know.

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post

Episode 102: "The Stone of Scone"

Yet another silly Fitz episode, this time set completely in the past, albeit in two different periods. The episode opens with a storybook, which informs the audience to expect more low-brow cartoonish humor. Bad period costumes abound in the backstory. Thankfully, the 1950s sections are saved by the presence of Amanda, who is delightful as usual. Also, the newsreels were a nice touch. Overall, it's not one of the worst comedy episodes.
          I recently watched the movie "Stone of Destiny" which tells the 'true' story of the theft of the stone. Hubby wandered in and said, "I thought Duncan, Fitz and Amanda stole it."

Comment

The Kate Mara movie? (You know, Hollywood producers, Kate is only 3 years older than Liz Gracen was in "The Lady and the Tiger." I'm just saying, in case you're looking for a female lead in the remake...)

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
              The Kate Mara movie? (You know, Hollywood producers, Kate is only 3 years older than Liz Gracen was in "The Lady and the Tiger." I'm just saying, in case you're looking for a female lead in the remake...)
              Yes, that's the one.

Comment

Duende is always a little hard for me. I've seen people defending Consone as a victim, first of Duncan's perfidy, then of Anna's. By Anna's time, he's volatile. Everyone reacts with shock when he declares Anna his fiance. It came out of left field for them. "What, you're engaged and pregnant?" Boom, kills the man, then spends years stalking Anna. I wonder how long that slope was. There must have been some other women he comforted himself by torturing between those times.

Comment

Working...
                X