Highlander: Season 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander: Season 7

If Highlander: The Series literally received a season 7 today and assuming all of the principal cast were down to return... what would you like to see happen?
    Attached Files
    Highlander: Dark Places

Joe & Methos show! (Especially if they get to travel.)

Comment

At this point... I don't think the principle cast should return as their former characters. Otherwise, there has to be a good backstory for why they look older OR we could just pretend they don't look older. However, a good story at this point might be a desperate attempt to stop the Gathering. Certain Immortals arguing that it doesn't have to be, and look at how many of us there are? I really think, though, that the Gathering might be necessary. I think that there should be no Immortals born less than (arbitrary) 30 years ago. Even better, if no Immortals have been born after 1981 or so. Someone commenting, "I haven't run across a kid in decades..." Maybe, maybe... I'm not okay with "You've always been wrong about the Gathering." I think it could be a "No fate but what you make" situation. A refusal to be the last by taking the heads of your friends. Save the Cheerleader: Save the world. Maybe that sort of thing can happen. The Immortals can change what always was, if enough of them commit to it?

And maybe they will find out that the only option they have is to reject their Immortality, give their Quickenings to another, and grow old and die. End up as tabula rasa, instead of just mortal.

Comment

I have said it before... use the original actors in their roles that are still alive today. Blame the aging of the immortal's on an engineered bio virus. It could be the work of rogue Watcher's, a government experiment gone wrong, or the unfortunate result of when Amanda took Talia's head when she was carrying the bio weapon. It could have mutated during the quickening and infected Amanda. Instead of killing mortals the virus could be infecting every immortal Amanda has crossed paths with to age. Imagine her horror at discovering that she is patient zero. How does she handle it? Will she use this knowledge and virus as a weapon against bad immortal's or will she go into seclusion? Will she create a special outfit that prevents her from touching her immortal friends and passing the virus on? Or does she use it to help immortals that wish to age and die? Any flashbacks with the original actors could be done with CGI.

I would also like to see the return of Amanda Wyss as Randi McFarland. Did she ever learn the truth about immortal's? Is she now a Watcher or a pre-immortal? A season seven with the original actors and some new cast members could work if they use CGI.

Season seven should have Duncan living in a new town. Same with the other immortals. The Source should be explained as a bad dream. Younger immortals could be explained as the result of the lost Quickenings sending those immortals back into the game as foundlings. Those younger immortal's could even have some of the memories of the immortals they used to be. The Gathering is still going on. It is harder for immortals to change their identities with the world so hooked on computers and the internet. Season seven could bring back the old characters with the new ones. Use the time to wrap up old stories, visit with favorite characters and introduce new characters. Then you can spin off other shows from there. It is a better way to continue the franchise than rebooting all of the favorite characters with younger actors.
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
          I have said it before... use the original actors in their roles that are still alive today. Blame the aging of the immortal's on an engineered bio virus. It could be the work of rogue Watcher's, a government experiment gone wrong, or the unfortunate result of when Amanda took Talia's head when she was carrying the bio weapon. It could have mutated during the quickening and infected Amanda. Instead of killing mortals the virus could be infecting every immortal Amanda has crossed paths with to age.
          Except that it wasn't a virus, it was a neurotoxin. A virus is a living organism that can mutate and change, whereas the latter is more like rubbing salt into a wound.

Comment

Something like the episode: They also serve. Have some of the old watchers and\or immortals exchange stories and rumours. Maybe wrap up some loose ended storylines and hearsay about other immortals.
            That set-up could even get away with the occasional cameo or even without certain characters at all.
            May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

The actors are too old now ... Don't make the same "mistake" with the Connor case ... Young in the first, and look old in Endgame ...
              La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

I don't really have a problem with recasting characters. It's worked before and it can work here too. There are other actors out there who can do these characters justice, so go get them.

Then again, at this point I think I'd be more interested in starting a new story, with new characters, that takes place in the same world as the other series. You can bring back old characters to connect the new show to the old ones, but I think the main focus needs to be on something that can reintroduce audiences to the concept of the Highlander saga from a fresh perspective.

Comment

I think that recasting isn't needed but do agree that we need new stories and characters in the old universe. The only way I can see recasting working is having someone find a chronicle or two that contain only written descriptions of the immortal's. The reader then imagines themselves or their friends as the immortal as they are reading the chronicles. The insider joke for the old fans could be the original actors who played the immortal before could have a cameo in the episode interacting with them. It gives us more immortal stories but doesn't really rewrite the past. I do think the actors aging could also be explained away as what happens to them when they aren't taking heads and receiving Quickenings.

Comment

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
                    I do think the actors aging could also be explained away as what happens to them when they aren't taking heads and receiving Quickenings.
                    Except I don't feel that would be consistent with the series. Darius, after all, hadn't taken heads in centuries. There were others like him, and in theory Grace might never have taken a head.

Comment

Are we doing this? Are we actually talking about Highlander? Ok, let's go...

My idea for this particular conundrum would borrow a lot of the basic ideas and concepts behind the only piece of fanfic I ever posted here.

I'm liking the idea by dubiousbystander having no immortals born during the past 30 years or so. The well has dried up, so to speak, as we are truly smack dab in the middle of the Gathering. Now, every single living immortal holds a portion of all the Quickening that is and ever has been in the world. That means that when a Quickening happens, the winner is getting closer and closer to containing the entirety of its power. This massive increase of concentrated energy is causing a lot of side effects and taking a toll on the immortals in ways rarely seen before as the true powers and ability granted by the Quickening are revealed.

The Quickening is always drawn to itself, which is why a defeated immortal's Quickening rushes into the nearest immortal, usually the victor of the battle. And those who die with no immortal around had their Quickenings absorbed by the earth and pool at different springs of the Source. Those "lost" Quickenings would eventually birth a new immortal to carry the energy forward in an attempt to rejoin it with the rest of its essence. But now the Source is empty and the pools have all spawned their last immortals from their remaining Quickening energy, so the only Quickening in the world is now inside of the last living immortals. But since it is drawn to itself and wants to be whole again, it is pulling all of the immortals closer together. Compelling them subconsciously to satisfy the urge to find the missing pieces of their life energy.

We start to see more manipulations of the world through the Quickening such as Roland Kantos' power of suggestion or John Garrick's dream projections among new, stronger applications of the energy. These things were rare occurrences in the past, sometimes without conscious control by the user, but they are becoming much more common. In addition, the consequences of the massive power contained inside the human bodies is that the immortals are now showing signs of age. While the immortals still heal wounds as before, it's the constant power of the Quickening that is flowing through their bodies that is basically burning them out until they fade away (boxed you in there, Kurgan). Those immortals with the highest portions of the Quickening will be the ones showing age more than those who have not gained quite as much. That way there will still be some ancient immortals that could be hired by younger actors while returning stars from the series could appear as they look currently (probably will need to use makeup and prosthetics on Adrian Paul as the man stubbornly refuses to allow the passage of time to alter his physical appearance). The only chance the immortals have to win the Game is to continue to fight and defeat the remaining immortals as quickly as possible before their bodies are too burned out from the power inside that they won't stand a chance in a fight.

And that's why the Gathering is finally here in full force. The immortals are compelled to find each other due to the subconscious calling of the Quickening and they need to expedite the conflict in order to still have enough physical strength left to win. And once they win, they will have all the power of the Quickening and whatever comes with it.

---

There's the basic premise. A lot more details, stories and surprises await but that can come later. References available upon request.

Comment

Originally posted by n107 View Post

There's the basic premise. A lot more details, stories and surprises await but that can come later. References available upon request.
                        Pretty nice! The reasoning for their looking older is a bit rough for me. Perhaps with a tiny modification, though! Let's say the Gathering started in 1992. Thus all Immortals active at that time started to age! Immortals who were triggered after that point are still "fresh"! Then the rare Immortal like Kenny have an advantage, too. Muahah.

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post

Pretty nice! The reasoning for their looking older is a bit rough for me. Perhaps with a tiny modification, though! Let's say the Gathering started in 1992. Thus all Immortals active at that time started to age! Immortals who were triggered after that point are still "fresh"! Then the rare Immortal like Kenny have an advantage, too. Muahah.
                          I like it. I was focusing a lot of the story around the nature of the Quickening, but that change works just fine and opens up a lot of new options and ideas. Let's add that to the mix: the onset of the Gathering kick starts the aging process which, as before, adds a sense of urgency to completing the game before too much time passes.

Comment

What about the immortals hiding away on holy ground?

Will they die of old age and postpone the Gathering?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
                              What about the immortals hiding away on holy ground?

Will they die of old age and postpone the Gathering?
                              The simple answer is "no" but allow me to explain.

Spoiler territory for the Highlander stories that fuel this season 7 idea which I rarely shared with anyone. In other words: read at your own non-risk because it's just pointless fanfic musings from my mind and will never become a real, canonical story.

The reason why the answer is "no" is two fold.

First, they will not die of old age. Their physical bodies will suffer the effects of aging but they are still immortal and powered by the Quickening so that will keep them alive until they are beheaded. So they would actually gain nothing from hiding from the Game because it only makes them physically weaker for when an opponent finally finds them.

Secondly, it will not delay the Gathering--at least not for long--because there is no more holy ground. I'm sure I posted this theory/idea which I've used as the backbone of my later Highlander stories elsewhere on this board, if not on the previous incarnation, but allow me to explain why in, most likely, a far less succinct manner than I'm intending.

Holy ground, as the immortals knew it, was only "holy" because it was a location where the Quickening energy had pooled together beneath the earth. It had nothing to do with deities or rituals sanctifying the area. Remember, in my take on Highlander, there is really no supernatural outside from the immortals and the Quickening, plus where/what it originated from. All the other supernatural things seen in the films/series would be explained in a way that fits with this vision. (And, yes, I've already thought of their explanations.)

These pools of holy ground give off an energy that can be felt subconsciously by any living creature. Early humans believed certain areas to be sacred, haunted or what have you because they could feel the electricity in the air around them. That is why many societies built their temples, churches and other places of spiritual significance at these locations. The pools are also the cause of springing immortals into the world. Many of these churches and holy lands have burial grounds. The energy from the Quickening interacts with the DNA and biological matter from dead bodies buried in the soil around these pools and births an immortal that fits the common physical and racial characteristics of that region because that is what's in the ground. When foundlings are discovered in these locations, the monks or whoever lives there believe it to be just an abandoned child left to be taken care of by the religious leaders.

The risk of combat on holy ground is this: when an immortal is beheaded, the Quickening tries to reconnect with the nearest source of itself. When the nearest source is both a living immortal AND a pool of raw Quickening energy, there is a conflict and the defeated immortal's Quickening starts to split. This has catastrophic results and could cause a cataclysm and even claim the life of the victorious immortal. Think of how destructive a normal Quickening can be. Now picture the atom-splitting equivalent of that energy lashing out randomly. It didn't take long before early immortals learned the dangers of battles on holy ground and they passed that knowledge down as one of the unbreakable rules of the Game.

Obviously, not every single location of a church or temple around the world is on one of these pool locations. That is why we sometimes see things happen on supposed holy ground and there are no real consequences. Those places are only holy ground in name but have nothing to do with the Quickening. Yet avoiding combat on holy ground is so instilled in the minds of the immortals that most of them would not dare risk it, even if it didn't "feel" like true holy ground.

So, now that the pools of Quickening are all used up and every ounce of Quickening is already in play as part of a living immortal, "holy ground" does not exist. There is no consequence to fighting on these once sacred locations because it is no different than any other piece of soil. Therefore, hiding on holy ground will not lead to an immortal dying or postponing the Gathering.

Comment

Basically, when immortals grow powerful enough, holy ground isn't an issue for them (if they win).

However, how do you imagine the distribution of the Source? It seems highly unlikely that each holy spot has enough power to generate an exact amount of immortals.
                                Last edited by Nicholas Ward; 06-20-2019, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
                                  Basically, when immortals grow powerful enough, holy ground isn't an issue for them (if they win).

However, how do you imagine the distribution of the Source? It seems highly unlikely that each holy spot has enough power to generate an exact amount of immortals.
                                  Not exactly. There's no correlation with the power level of the immortal, it's just that the thing that would cause holy ground to be dangerous (the Quickening energy) is now gone from that ground. So even though the place may be "holy ground" in name, it has no more meaning than being called a "parking lot".

As for the distribution, I'm sure it would be uneven. We've never seen anything in the films or TV series to suggest that the birth of immortals is evenly distributed around the world so there'd be no reason to say they are now.

Comment

Not exactly. There's no correlation with the power level of the immortal, it's just that the thing that would cause holy ground to be dangerous (the Quickening energy) is now gone from that ground. So even though the place may be "holy ground" in name, it has no more meaning than being called a "parking lot".

As for the distribution, I'm sure it would be uneven. We've never seen anything in the films or TV series to suggest that the birth of immortals is evenly distributed around the world so there'd be no reason to say they are now.
                                    Where ever two or more are joined together in his name. I'm not good on the catastrophic consequences because there are Immortals who would do it because they WANT the consequences. My idea is that on "truly" holy ground, Immortals have a subliminal instinct to not try and take heads. Thus they think it's just tradition.

Comment

Where ever two or more are joined together in his name. I'm not good on the catastrophic consequences because there are Immortals who would do it because they WANT the consequences. My idea is that on "truly" holy ground, Immortals have a subliminal instinct to not try and take heads. Thus they think it's just tradition.
                                      I'm going off of Joe's story from "Little Tin God" about the only recorded account in the Watcher Chronicles of Immortals battling on Holy Ground happening at Pompeii just before the volcano erupted.

I agree with the subliminal instinct not to do it, but I feel it's because it's a survival mechanism. They may not know what would happen if they break the rule, but it would likely cost them their own immortal lives. Yes, a very bad immortal might want to cause a cataclysm if he/she knows it would happen by taking a head on holy ground. But since that cataclysm would destroy him/her as well, it would be no different than if they just got hold of a nuclear warhead and set it off manually. Nothing much is stopping an immortal from doing something catastrophic if they don't worry about surviving it. But it IS the instinct for survival that makes them hesitate and honor that rule.

In any case, for the purposes of my season 7, holy ground is no longer a sanctuary so there's nothing to stop the Game from coming to an end. Discovering this aspect would be one of the great moments of the story, I'd imagine.

Comment

Oh yes, it would be!

I feel of Pompeii that it was either complete coincidence, or possibly the Quickening happening right on a volcano about to blow did it.

Comment

Oh yes, it would be!

I feel of Pompeii that it was either complete coincidence, or possibly the Quickening happening right on a volcano about to blow did it.
                                          I'm far more inclined to believe it. There has to be something fear-inducing that would prevent all but the most sadistic and nihilistic immortals from attempting to take the low-hanging fruit of prey cowering on holy ground. Something that was ingrained in their kind long ago and even forgotten to this day, but enough to prevent them from even trying.

Comment

I'm far more inclined to believe it. There has to be something fear-inducing that would prevent all but the most sadistic and nihilistic immortals from attempting to take the low-hanging fruit of prey cowering on holy ground. Something that was ingrained in their kind long ago and even forgotten to this day, but enough to prevent them from even trying.
                                            Thus the subliminal thing! Or maybe programmed into them by their creators.

Comment

Thus the subliminal thing! Or maybe programmed into them by their creators.
                                              As I said, I'm all down with the subliminal, instinctual reluctance to avoid fighting on holy ground. I'm just of the belief that it stems from, or is amplified by, an incident in the past where immortals saw the consequences of fighting on holy ground. Something so catastrophic and undesirable that it made the onlookers shout "JESUS CHRIST!" millennia before Jesus Christ was even born.

Comment

The year is 2024.

Duncan MacLeod is no longer part of the Game, and he has become a pariah among the immortals after declaring that he had entered the Source and discovered the truth about the Prize. Only Amanda and Methos still visit him, and the former is disturbed by his insistence that he has fathered a son who will become the world's next savior. Methos is more open to Mac's tale, but even he admittedly doesn't know what happened that night or where MacLeod's wife Anna went in the wake of their victory over the Guardian. Duncan has also become convinced that he can communicate with Joe Dawson in the afterlife. His former Watcher informs him that the souls of the immortals never reach the other side because they remain trapped in the victors. Duncan determines that he must find some way to end the Game forever and to release these souls from their bondage, and he believes that his absent son is the answer.

In the series finale, Christopher Lambert wakes up in bed with Roxanne Hart and says that he can't handle the salvia so well now that he's no longer immortal.
                                                __________________________________________________

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                                                --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
                                                In the series finale, Christopher Lambert wakes up in bed with Roxanne Hart and says that he can't handle the salvia so well now that he's no longer immortal.
                                                What's a salvia?

Comment

Working...
                                                X