Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Aspects of the Series Didn't You Like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, and let's not forget Irena Galati. So utterly helpless we have a scene in the episode dedicated to her getting raped.

Comment

Originally posted by Saber Dog View Post

Also, let's not forget Kyra. When he challenges her with the pipe she did well against Duncan and in the end made short work of a male immortal.
      Except that Kyra was part of the season 6 sudden plethora of female Immortals, mostly clumsily written in an attempt to make a spinoff without Amanda.

Comment

To me, (other than the continuity errors with the original movie), it was it's tendency to kill off good characters in horrible ways:
        -James Horton was killed multiple times before they finally settled on a definitive death.
        -Charlie De Salvo got a good send off in season 3, just to come back and be killed for no good reason in season 4.

AND of course.

-Richie, he got the worst death of all. He just stands there like an idiot while Duncan chops his head of (even though he had already fought Duncan in the previous season), then again, that whole story-line was terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by somecallmejames View Post
          To me, (other than the continuity errors with the original movie), it was it's tendency to kill off good characters in horrible ways:
          -James Horton was killed multiple times before they finally settled on a definitive death.
          -Charlie De Salvo got a good send off in season 3, just to come back and be killed for no good reason in season 4.

AND of course.

-Richie, he got the worst death of all. He just stands there like an idiot while Duncan chops his head of (even though he had already fought Duncan in the previous season), then again, that whole story-line was terrible.
          Knowing that Season 6 was basically the season of test screenings for potential female leads of a new series, I kind of wonder if Season 5 was the intended end of the series. Like how Babylon 5 wrapped up all of its story lines in season four because J. Michael Strasinsky didn't think there was going to be a season 5.

Comment

I wish Tessa hadn’t died, though I know some later stuff might not have been as good with her around. And I didn’t like the whole Ahriman arc at all.

Comment

We're working our way through the whole series right now and are about halfway through season 6. The initiate, who is new to the show, HATED that they killed Richie, and we haven't been able to convince him to watch any more, although he did say 'you can call me when Methos shows up.' So the veterans discussed the decision to kill Richie, and we decided that the production team argument for 'more dramatic opportunities' was pretty much bs since they never utilized such opportunities in any good way, so Mac locked his sword away for 5 episode, whoopie. It didn't further the story, it was just a gotcha! moment and that is the absolute worst reason for any story teller to off a character of long standing. The only good reason to kill of a mainstay character is because a plot point hinges on it, and this story didn't . To kill Richie, btw, they broke their own continuity in that the ridiculous demon thing had to that point only been able to manifest as dead people, Horton, Kronos, even the girl - whatever her name was - was dead. And as our initiate pointed out, they brought Richie back just to kill him, he had been absent from episodes for quite a while, and there was no real need to drag him back to France to kill him when he could have been sent off to anywhere to do anything.
              But that aside, it's like almost the whole season was a disjointed add-on that had little to do with what came before. The spin-off trials for female immortals made this feeling worse. The only really good episodes were Indiscretions and Usual Suspects because they were the old gang doing what they do. To a lesser extent the finale worked too. But that's four out of 13 episodes, not a real good ratio.

Comment

I generally don't mind Ahriman. I figure that a world that is home to immortal beings who take each others' life forces by cutting off each others' heads and are playing an ageless game of life and death for some kind of mysterious prize can also be home to other magical things. However, as I recall (and it has been awhile since I last watched the series) one thing that did bother me about Ahriman is that it was never really clear what he could do and what he couldn't do and why that was. How exactly did he operate? What were his limitations? There were times when he seemed to be capable of killing anyone he wanted in any fashion he chose, and then at other times he insisted on playing head games with people rather than just getting rid of them and being done with it.

I don't mind adding other supernatural elements to the Highlander mythos, but I generally prefer it if they give us a clear idea of how these things are supposed to work over the course of the story.

Comment

When I watched it again, that was a lot to ponder.

My fantheory is that Ahriman might be entombed where that statue was found, possibly a psychic Immortal gone mad over the millennia trapped there. He is able to "follow" Landry out of the tomb. Landy leads him to MacLeod, enabling him to get a fix on him, and on anyone associated with him or with Landry. But then after killing Richie, Mac takes off and goes onto Holy Ground. Ahriman has lost track of him and can only spin his wheels until Duncan returns... So Ahriman's power is to create real, though presumably temporary, um... thought forms! Capture a dead soul, but that soul can free itself via a second death. Eh.
                  Last edited by dubiousbystander; 08-20-2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

The foundlings bit was unnecessary and seemed to lead nowhere story wise!
                    JB

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfEmperor View Post

Knowing that Season 6 was basically the season of test screenings for potential female leads of a new series, I kind of wonder if Season 5 was the intended end of the series. Like how Babylon 5 wrapped up all of its story lines in season four because J. Michael Strasinsky didn't think there was going to be a season 5.
                      Thank the stars we did get a fifth season of B5 with the Keepers and the scary Drakh!
                      JB

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybear View Post
                        The foundlings bit was unnecessary and seemed to lead nowhere story wise!
                        JB
                        To me, I feel sometimes people's problem is something like narcissism. If Immortals are all foundlings, then anyone who is not a foundling can not be an Immortal. It removes a path to imagining yourself as one. The Methuselah's Stone provided a possible window, and I am so glad they did not commit to having it turn a mortal into an immortal, or even show that it would just keep them healthy and strong, thus extending their lives indefinitely. I'm happy to accept that it might have saved Alexa, but also would have liked it if she's eventually going to have to deal with the cancer again. Though this time it might be caught early enough to stop it, or give her years instead of months.

It's a tangle. I see that we want the Immortal origin to be magical and cool! Except we want the Immortal origin to be mundane, like that just sometimes some parents produce an immortal.

The foundling bit led everywhere, storywise. Because that makes the huge question. "Where do they come from?" You can come up with a million ideas. If they are not foundlings (a.k.a. born from mortal parents), then it leads nowhere, because there's nowhere for it to go.

Comment

I think it does and also raises the possibility in the show that anyone can be an immortal but if none of them have true parents then they are already a specialized group of people from the start!
                          JB

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                            dubiousbystander commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Exactly. Narcissism. The desire to have it that ANYONE can be an Immortal rather than only certain people makes it rough for those who want to imagine themselves as one.

• Darth Reaper
                            Darth Reaper commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I don't think that qualifies as narcissism. Narcissism is an extreme. This is merely wanting to be able to relate to a group of characters that interest people.

Maybe the Source is their parents?
                          JB

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
                            Dr. Anne, hated her.
                            Agreed. A bit fugly compared to some of Duncan’s other female companions.

Comment

Duncan killing Richie. I mean it's one thing to kill a major character, but not by his mentor. I suppose in the alternate universe in Not To Be, Methos would end up killing Richie but I didn't care for that "teacher kills student."
                              Didn't care for the Ahriman arc.
                              When I watched the series many years ago I didn't even notice they were all foundlings, but now that I've started rewatching, yeah, I mean where do they come from? Christopher Lambert didn't think it mattered, hence H2 being swept under the rug as if it didn't happen but them being aliens at least made it, make sense. The original movie doesn't seem to imply they're orphans but it's just something mysterious that happened. Like how Superman is only super on Earth but on his home planet he's just a regular guy. Immortals are only like that on Earth. But then it's too much like other Sci-fi alien shows. I suppose a decent, origen story. Or just keep it a mystery as Lambert says. **Shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by MarlyM View Post
                                Duncan killing Richie. I mean it's one thing to kill a major character, but not by his mentor. I suppose in the alternate universe in Not To Be, Methos would end up killing Richie but I didn't care for that "teacher kills student."
                                Didn't care for the Ahriman arc.
                                When I watched the series many years ago I didn't even notice they were all foundlings, but now that I've started rewatching, yeah, I mean where do they come from? Christopher Lambert didn't think it mattered, hence H2 being swept under the rug as if it didn't happen but them being aliens at least made it, make sense. The original movie doesn't seem to imply they're orphans but it's just something mysterious that happened. Like how Superman is only super on Earth but on his home planet he's just a regular guy. Immortals are only like that on Earth. But then it's too much like other Sci-fi alien shows. I suppose a decent, origen story. Or just keep it a mystery as Lambert says. **Shrug*
                                The death of Richie was devastating, particularly with how it was done. I would have much preferred it to be at the hands of a powerful Immortal setting up a very good final confrontation.

Ahriman was the turning point where the quality of the show dipped. I mean it's not that much of a stretch to have something supernatural in the series since Immortals themselves are supernatural. But I don't think it was done in a way that fits the established universe.

Aside from that, I liked the bulk of what the series did. But there is one scene that I think the majority of people love but I cringe every time I see it: the Duncan-Methos double Quickening. Awesome idea for a scene, poorly crafted. That goofy corkscrew of energy connecting their eyes along with Duncan's unfortunately derpy face in the moment just kills the intensity of the entire moment for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X