Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do all the Highlander movies and tv shows fit together in your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do all the Highlander movies and tv shows fit together in your opinion?

Can't get rid of this as it's the start, eh? Ah, well.
    Last edited by dubiousbystander; 03-18-2020, 08:40 AM. Reason: This guy really did not want to be here.

Highlander,
    Highlander series season 1&2,
    Highlander 3: The Sorcerer ,
    Highlander series 3, 4, 5 & 6,
    Highlander 2: The Quickening,
    Highlander 5: The Source,
    Highlander 4: Endgame.

With Highlander 2 and 5 playing out during Highlander Endgame.
    And Highlander: the search for vengeance runs parallel to all that.
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

I'm pretty straight forward about this.

Highlander
      Highlander: The Series
      Highlander: The Raven
      Highlander: Endgame

Nothing else applies because I don't really care for it or because it doesn't fit into the kind of timeline that I want to see.

Comment

Shortest answer in the world: They don't.

Comment

Fairly simple:

H1*
          HTS Seasons 1-3
          H3*
          HTS Seasons 4-6
          H:TR
          H4
          H5 (if you want)
          H:Reunion (if you don't)

Works just fine to me.

*: Them being the last Immortals and any Prize being won removed from canon.
          Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

I always viewed them as such when viewing them all together as a whole:

Highlander (Connor didnt win the Prize after defeating the Kurgan)
            The Series
            The Raven
            Endgame
            Reunion

when I am in a Connor MacLeod only type of mood:

Highlander
            Highlander: The Gathering
            Highlander III The Sorcerer

when I am feeling masochistic:

Highlander 2 (special edition)
            Highlander: The Source (original cut)

when im in an animated cartoony mood:

Highlander: The Animated Series
            Highlander: The Search for Vengeance
            Power to the Donut!

Comment

Nothing masochistic about Highlander 2, the most entertaining of all the sequels (although 3 might be the mist formulaic of the lot)

Comment

I watch the series and stick my fingers in my ears and hum real loud if G plays a movie...
                Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

I was about to shriek an irritated "They DON'T and PLEASE GRASP THAT!" Then I saw the original poster and remembered the peculiar eruption he went through.

Comment

What eruption?
                    Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

Yeah, what eruption? I looked at the name and I think it's the odd guy who PM'd me for a bit sometime back. I could check, but I limit myself to only clicking 37 links per day on the Internet and I'm already in the mid 20s.

Comment

Originally posted by ~mj~ View Post
                        What eruption?
                        I'm not 100% on the details, but apparently he feared that someone he knew was going to start stalking him because he'd made an account. So he decided to remove his account and all of his comments from here. Except he couldn't delete his account, so he started editing most of his posts except those he missed, demanding that someone delete them. Eventually the PTB banned him.

Comment

• ~mj~
                          ~mj~ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh...I didn't notice he was banned til now...

The TV series retcons the first movie's story so that the events of 1985 were merely the beginning of the Gathering. The fourth and fifth movies occur after the series finale. The second and third movies both exist outside of the TV show's timeline by design*, but the third film's antagonist did appear in a comic book set in the TV series universe. The two animated properties are essentially incompatible with the TV timeline because The Source (set in the near future) reveals that there is no Prize in this universe, which means that immortals probably aren't going to be battling for it in the distant future.

*The TV show had to ignore Highlander II because that film was set in the future and implied that no immortals had appeared on Earth from 1985 to 2024. Its poor reception didn't help matters, of course. Meanwhile, the third Highlander film's premise was conceived around the time of its predecessor's U.S. release, and even when Davis-Panzer decided to pursue a TV series, they kept the new movie as a separate project, likely in an effort to hedge their bets in case the TV show flopped.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                        --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post

I'm not 100% on the details, but apparently he feared that someone he knew was going to start stalking him because he'd made an account. So he decided to remove his account and all of his comments from here. Except he couldn't delete his account, so he started editing most of his posts except those he missed, demanding that someone delete them. Eventually the PTB banned him.
                          Odd...very odd..

Comment

Odd things happen when meddling with the Highlander continuity.
                            May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Very true! I used to blame the black background, but since we are grey now..

I read the above post wrong, I thought he wrote 'community', hence my lack of continuity....
                              Last edited by ~mj~; 07-29-2019, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
                                The two animated properties are essentially incompatible with the TV timeline because The Source (set in the near future) reveals that there is no Prize in this universe, which means that immortals probably aren't going to be battling for it in the distant future.
                                Well, it doesn't preclude there being a Prize. "The Source" and "the prophecised one" or whatever could very well be a side thing, only peripherally connected to the Immortals and the Game.

Comment

I consider the Source to be an hallucination brought on by the time he swallowed the whole bottle of sleeping pills Doctor Anne gave him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfEmperor View Post
                                    I consider the Source to be an hallucination brought on by the time he swallowed the whole bottle of sleeping pills Doctor Anne gave him.
                                    It's kind of one of those things, though... do you want there to be some kind of ending story for Duncan... or NO ending story at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

It's kind of one of those things, though... do you want there to be some kind of ending story for Duncan... or NO ending story at all?
                                      Doesn't really matter what I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfEmperor View Post

Doesn't really matter what I think.
                                        It kind of does. The odds are that there will never be a live action continuation/conclusion of the existing Highlander universe... so it's really up to you, what you think. Do you prefer to imagine Endgame as the end of everything? Make The Source not canon? You can. There probably won't be any new Highlander movies with Adrian Paul coming out to tell you different, you know?

Comment

On the old forum someone did this, but had a list that included comics, novels, etc. and had them divided up into individual "timelines". Does anyone remember the list?

Comment

Very carefully and with a bit of glue!
                                            JB

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHenry View Post
                                              On the old forum someone did this, but had a list that included comics, novels, etc. and had them divided up into individual "timelines". Does anyone remember the list?
                                              I don't, but there is a website. Not the same, I think. https://macleodtimeline.weebly.com/index.html

Comment

What we need is a Crisis on Infinte Highlander reboot, as they did with the DC Universe in 1985. Or the streamlining work Disney did with Star Wars, the canon is the 6 movies and the War of the CXlones cartoon, the expanded universe never happened.

To me only the first Highlander and the original series matter. Maybe the Raven too.

Nicolas Ward quoted me as saying :
                                                "I care very little about the canonical universe to be frank, way too inconsistent and with dumb movies to boot. We rebooted the entire franchise with Apollo1, at least in the chronicles we wrote for the canonical characters : Duncan doesn't kill so many Immortals, the movies timelines are negated, so is the Raven. Important parts of the series are still there however... but different."

Very true. The Homemade Watcher Chronicles have outgrown the original Highlander verse which I love very much. I still did some adjustements over the year but what matters is how I feel about Highlander. Ward never understood my points.

I stick with Highlander I, Season 1-5 (exept Ahriman), the Watcher Chronicles CD, I ignore Highglander III, Endgame and most of the Raven.
                                                Everyone is entitled to his own vision of the Highlanderverse. Ward is sadly mistaken when he points that I hijack Highlander.

Comment

Working...
                                                X