Ancestry DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry DNA

Has anyone done the Ancestry DNA testing? I got the kit as a birthday present and recently received my results.
    As I expected, almost 50% of my genetic ancestry comes from Ireland (Ireland, Wales, Scotland) and Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales).
    If family lore was to be believed the next biggest chunk should have been German, but that only comprises about 6% of my ethnicity.

Coming it at a whopping 32% was Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway and Denmark). Say what now? I feel like the dude in this commercial.
    Growing up, Kyle Merker was German. He even wore Lederhosen and danced in a German dance group. When he started using Ancestry.com, he got his blood tested and discovered that he wasn't German at all, but rather mostly Irish. Now he's happy in his kilt.

Yeah I did it and it came back pretty much as I expected 76% British, 13% Irish and the rest spread out from Iberia peninsula, Italy, North Africa and the Caucasus Mountains. The North Africa and Caucasus Mountains kinda threw me off though. I wasn't expecting those, but they do make sense.
    It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

• Colleengael
      Colleengael commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes sense because the Moors came from North Africa to the Iberian Peninsula.

My mother in law has been all but begging me to do this. I'm curious, I admit. I'm half Colombian, 1/4 Swedish, 1/4 Norwegian so it might be interesting results. I did the initial signup but have yet to pony up the money. The website is kind enough to remind me every couple of days that "You're just one step away from results!"
    Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

It's been eye opening to say the least. The rest of my genetic ancestry looks like this:
      Italy/Greece 7%
      Europe East 5%
      Iberian Peninsula 4%
      European Jewish <1%
      West Asia <1%
      Middle East <1%

Comment

I'd love to do this. The one that I keep hearing about is 23andMe. Is there a difference between what they show? I haven't looked into it in great detail, but it's definitely something I'm interested in.
        Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

• mathpiglet
          mathpiglet commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the 23 and me is mostly medical information. Your odds of getting certain diseases and what not. The Ancestry DNA tells you your ethnicity.

Colleengael I was thinking more along the lines of the Roman empire.
        Last edited by Midnight Rambler; 05-18-2017, 06:36 PM.
        It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

Great Britain 27%
          Italy/Greece 23%
          Ireland 16%
          Iberian Peninsula 11%
          Europe East 5%
          Scandinavia 4%
          European Jewish 3%
          Europe West 3%
          Finland/Northwest Russia 2%
          Caucasus 4%
          Middle East 2%

Pretty interesting stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Eve View Post
            Great Britain 27%
            Italy/Greece 23%
            Ireland 16%
            Iberian Peninsula 11%
            Europe East 5%
            Scandinavia 4%
            European Jewish 3%
            Europe West 3%
            Finland/Northwest Russia 2%
            Caucasus 4%
            Middle East 2%

Pretty interesting stuff!
            Was there anything in your results that really surprised you or were they what you expected?

Comment

Anybody consider the possibility that this is an NSA plot to gather a DNA database?

Nah...

Comment

Originally posted by Draknoir2 View Post
                Anybody consider the possibility that this is an NSA plot to gather a DNA database?

Nah...
                I knew it was only a matter of time before someone here made this suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by Draknoir2 View Post

Nah...
                  Nah. Google.

Mine came out pretty much as expected except for a little Ashekasi (sp?) Jew and some Norsemen! The bulk is Italian, Dutch and Scottish. What is missing is my grandfather's Mohawk ancestor. One of my cousins found her while doing genealogical research, so we know she existed: genes fall out, so I'm claiming her anyway.
                  “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                  Billy Sunday

Comment

Working...
                  X