• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-5: Blind Faith, Song of the Executioner, Star-Crossed

Discuss these Season 3 episodes:

Blind Faith
    Song of the Executioner
    Star-Crossed

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Episodes courtesy of Cinedigm:

Episode 57: "Blind Faith"

Richard Lynch guest stars. Really interesting premise, really mundane execution.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 58: "Song of the Executioner"

Production value! Good actors! Splendid cinematography! Satisfying writing! Even Anne is tolerable for once. Kinda odd that Kalas survives this episode, though. I guess they finally decided to stop killing off the interesting villains immediately, but he seems like an inappropriate choice for a recurring character.

Comment

Episode 59: "Star-Crossed"

Awful. Kalas makes little more than a cameo to kill off a recurring character in an episode that would've worked better as a stand alone story. Hugh Fitzcairn was a fun character in The Hunters. Here, he's a little annoying. The humor throughout most of the episode not only clashes with the Kalas scenes, but isn't particularly funny, either. There's a feeling of "who cares?" over everything, since we're waiting for a payoff to the previous episode rather than a lighthearted romp with Fitz.

Comment

I can only think of the "Kalas Arc" as a whole, and I find it terrific! But there's one thing I wish they'd...made a little clearer.

Anne Lindsay sees Mac apparently fall to his death - in a very public place, despite its being at night! Later, she accepts that he's dead. But why isn't she questioning why there are no news reports of the death...no obituary, anywhere...seemingly no wake, funeral, or information about a burial? We have to assume she's been told that there was some good reason for secrecy - some mysterious activity he was involved with, maybe for an organization like the CIA? But ideally, we viewers should have heard the "explanation."

Comment

Blind Faith - I REALLY wanted Mac to kill Kage. I came up with a great fanfic to make it happen. Maybe one day I will type it out.

Song of the Executioner - What a great episode. I really enjoyed the Kalas arc.

Star-Crossed - It was unfortunate that Fitz died in this episode. But we needed Kalas to keep screwing with Mac. What better way than to kill his best friend? Well, it would have been cooler if he killed Richie.
            "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Just finished going over the official domestic cut of these three episodes, kindly provided by the wonderful Gillian Horvath. I have converted them from their VHS tapes to mpg (m4v) format if anyone is interested in them. Also, the official 'Eurominutes' are now marked out on my transcript pages. [www.zzickle.com/tv/transcripts.html]

And now for the showdown: DVD/European cut vs Domestic cut - who wins?

3x13: Blind Faith
              So we start right off the bat with an alternate version of the opening scene for this episode, sadly losing the cameo by F. Braun McAsh, as well as the setting up of Kirin doing good deeds (and Matthew being overprotective of him). Instead we jump right into the car skidding toward Matthew, and Kirin rushing to save him. After watching both, I prefer the longer version. Most of the other cuts are take-it-or-leave-it. I do think the extra dialogue at the end of the scene between Anne and Kirin at the ashram gives a bit more closure to their conversation, and the confrontation between Matthew and Kirin in the loft builds up a bit more to Matthew shooting Kirin. Given that most of the cuts are neutral and the rest are arguably worth keeping (plus cameo!!), I’m calling this one…

Winner: DVD/European cut!

3x14:Song of the Executioner
              The domestic cut of this episode loses a lot of dialogue, including one flashback scene between Duncan and Timon that has a rather amusing adlib outtake later included in the 3rd blooper reel…I think most of the lost dialogue adds to the story, so this one is easily...

3x15: Star-Crossed
              This is another episode that loses a lot of dialogue in the domestic cut, so...

Updated tally:
              Domestic = 20
              DVD/European = 17

Comment

Three in a row!

Comment

I thought Kalas was a great baddie and it's sad that in the Highlander methos that they can only come back as a memory in newer episodes! Shame that Adrian and David Robb didn't hit it off backstage. Wasn't it something about Adrian's brother or something? David Robb did look to me that he was an arrogant son of a b*tch under the surface though it's sad that he lost his wife in the recent years!
                  JB

Comment

Working...
                  X