• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-6: Methuselah's Gift, The Immortal Cimoli, Through a Glass Darkly

Discuss these Season 4 episodes:

Methuselah's Gift
    The Immortal Cimoli
    Through A Glass, Darkly

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

I like them all, although "The Immortal Cimoli" clearly is the weakest of the bunch. However, it does have a villain who's interesting in how he plays the Game and how he views it and his existence within it. For Damon Case alone, and the lovely Quickening at the end, I'd rank and rate it better than I'd otherwise would.

That said, the other two are great episodes, even if filled with their own probs. The first is a little too firm with its magical proponents, and the latter is too literal in its Rashomon-like tribute/homage/rip-off. But they both work, and that's what matters at the end. The most noteworthy aspect of any of those episodes being Wingfield and Gracen's fight and talk in the abandoned (of course!) railway station.

Comment

Episodes provided by Cinedigm.

Episode 82: "Methuselah's Gift"

The Methuselah Stone is handled far better here than it was in Legacy. Since the Watchers are interested in it, there's more reason to care whether or not it falls into the wrong hands. The Methos subplot nearly justified the decision to introduce this ridiculous plot device in the first place.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Episode 83: "The Immortal Cimoli"

The episode was pretty dull until near the end. The Quickening was decent, and the last scenes with the Annoying Cimoli were kinda fun. The final scene was moronic, though.

Comment

Episode 84: "Through a Glass, Darkly"

Someone was obviously watching Rashomon. Ultimately, it's just another "Duncan fights an old friend" tale. I wanted more of Methos dealing with his loss. Surely one of the redundant flashbacks could have been cut to make room for such a subplot. The comic highlight of the episode was when Cochrane was telling the Quickening to leave him alone!

Comment

I like all three episodes. The use made of Rebecca's crystal in "Methusaleh's Gift" justifies that otherwise silly bit of magic. Methos's grief over Alexa is heartbreaking, and Adrian does his usual great job in directing.

"The Immortal Cimoli" is a nice change of pace.

And "Through a Glass, Darkly" is terrific. I know some who are critical of MacLeod have argued that it might have been his memories that were wrong; but I'm sure the writers didn't intend any such thing. And some claim it was wrong for MacLeod to make the other Immortal realize he'd killed his student - and he got his comeuppance when he killed Richie. But there was no similarity in those situations! If MacLeod had allowed an Immortal to run around with amnesia, the man might have betrayed their existence to the world.

Comment

I'm watching all the eps for the first time and I got up to Immortal Cimoli last night.

Cimoli gets hit by a truck in the intro. We then go to Duncan and Amanda, who go to the circus and we see that Cimoli has since built his new-found immortality into a magic act. Duncan and Amanda explain the deal, which Cimoli had no idea about until now. So here's my question...what kind of maniac comes back from the dead after a traffic accident and decides to kill themself again? How did he know he wouldn't just die? A normal person would be thankful for the miracle and then live each day like it was a gift. Unless he somehow had a few more deadly accidents, it's just really hard to believe someone would take a bullet to the chest based on so little evidence.

Still, the ep had some funny bits. And I always enjoy it when Duncan and Amanda are together.
              Last edited by Russell Nash; 04-19-2018, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X