X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    I watched the movie "Belle". It is a 2021 film directed by Mamoru Hosoda and produced by Studio Chizu. It tells the story of a 17 year old High School girl living in a rural part of Japan who finds new hope and new possibilities after joining a huge online digital community. The animation is beautifully rendered. The music and songs are wonderful. The story is well written and very emotionally evocative. The English dubbing is very well done in both words and songs. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie several times.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3: It was awesome! I think this is the best of the Guardians movies.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Reaper
    replied
    The last movie I’ve seen in a theatre is Last Voyage Of The Demeter. It was pretty good, but it could have been better. One thing that I enjoyed was the portrayal of Dracula. It feels to me like he isn’t even bothering to put up any pretenses of being civilized or even human. He’s just being the monster he is; letting his evil show for his prey to see. He intends for none of these people to live to tell their tale, and they’re in an ideal position for him to do that, so he doesn’t need to hide his true nature.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Reaper
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, one of the things that I don’t like about Dawn Of Justice is that I think it was way too soon for Superman and Batman to be out to kill each other. I think part of what makes their confrontation in The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel (which is clearly one of Zack Snyder’s inspirations for this film) work is that it’s a fight that they had been building towards for decades. If things have to go that way, this is how it should be done.

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    I watched the 1982 film "The Scarlet Pimpernel" which stars Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, and Ian McKellen. The Pimpernel (Andrews) is an English aristocrat who plays a foppish noble fool in public, but in secret is a highly intelligent roguish adventurer who rescues members of the French aristocracy and their families from execution at the hands of French Revolutionaries. Jane Seymour plays the Pimpernel's love interest and future wife. Ian McKellen plays a high level French revolutionary who is determined to capture and execute the Pimpernel.

The movie was a lot of fun to watch, especially all the disguised characters that the Pimpernel played in his daring rescues.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    I watched "Deadwood the Movie". It is set about 10 years after the TV series ended. It was written by David Milch who created, wrote, and produced the TV series. All the old cast members returned for the movie. I thought it was a good story, well written and acted. An extra feature focused on David Milch. He was on set for the filming of the movie. While there, he gave talks to the cast about some of the scenes. He was speaking very slowly and he remained seated. He was noticeably suffering from some sort of neurodegenerative disorder. Later, when I searched for more information, I was sorry to learn that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about the same time that he began writing the movie. Currently, his dementia has progressed to the point that he is in an assisted living facility.

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    commented on 's reply
    SO many hilarious bits! And so much depth. I see some of my own family dynamics.

• Andrew NDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragon Katana View Post
    The Menu - Ralph Fiennes. Brilliant film.
    That was pretty decent. Predictable after a certain point, but entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    I am watching "A Midsummer Night's Dream", the Shakespeare play, filmed at the recreated Globe Theater in London. I often have difficulty with Shakespearean dialogue, but this play is easier to understand than some other of his plays that I have seen. The shape of The Globe allows the audience to be right up against the stage. The stage is about three quarters round, which is something that I have never seen before. The actors frequently walk up and down multiple aisles, getting right in the faces of many audience members. I think this sort of engagement of the audience really makes the performance more special. This is a fairly long play, at about 3 hours, and at the mid-point, I can say I am having fun and looking forward to the second half.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    commented on 's reply
    Hot dog fingers!

• Dragon Katana
    replied
    The Menu - Ralph Fiennes. Brilliant film.

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    Everything
    Everywhere
    All At Once

That was FUN!

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    I watched the Disney animated movie "Gnomeo and Juliet". It was a cute take on the Shakespearian original. Garden gnomes with a forbidden love. Also, drag racing lawnmowers.

Leave a comment:

• n107
    replied
    I watched Detective Pikachu, though not by choice. I have seen the new Antman in theaters recently. It was fun, but continuing the trend of diminishing returns from the Marvel series. They no longer feel like "must see" installments to me.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    I have recently re-watched "Clerks", "Mallrats", and "Dogma". The first two I had seen once before years ago. It didn't take me very long to recall that "Clerks" is not a very good movie. It is supposed to be funny, but I only laughed once when Silent Bob busted out dancing with Jay who had cranked up some music on his box (probably from surprise). I think that if I had been a teen the first time I saw the movie, I probably would have giggled my way through the show, but I am decades past the appeal of naughty words and sex jokes. However, the making of "Clerks" by Kevin Smith is still a very impressive achievement considering that he was working full time at The Quick Stop in his real life (he filmed it at night, with the owner's permission, in about three weeks and got almost no sleep) and managed to produce the movie for less than $30,000!

"Mallrats" is a bit better on the entertainment front and had a sizable budget of about $6 million, but it still relies on teen male level humor.

"Dogma", however, is my all time favorite Kevin Smith movie. I have seen it at least half a dozen times and it still delivers a very entertaining and thought provoking performance with each viewing. I read recently that Kevin would like to make a sequel to "Dogma", but unfortunately, Harvey Weinstein from his jail cell will not sell the rights to "Dogma" back to Kevin.

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    Saw Final Destination 5. Full circle!

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    I saw "Mary Queen of Scots" with Saoirse Ronan in the title role. Margot Robbie played Queen Elizabeth. The acting was all very good, but the story didn't really have any scenes that made me feel happy. I know that Mary's story is tragic, but surely, there must have been some happy times in her life.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    I recently watched "The Lost City" with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum. It was really good and one of the funniest movies that I have seen in years.

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    This is a nifty short. Does it qualify as a movie?

Leave a comment:

• Dragon Katana
    replied
    Barbarian (2022). A pretty good concept but like a lot of modern horror films it seemed to tail off into obscurity towards the end.

Leave a comment:

• Ceridwen
    replied
    The Electrical Life of Louis Wain was.....rather a waste of time. It was not particularly fun, it was not very entertaining, it was not at all charming, in fact, I found myself fidgeting to do other things by about half way through. For the performances, I'll be kind and give it one star out of five.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    commented on 's reply
    I had my biggest laugh watching Sigourney Weaver giving Bill Murray shocks at the end of the movie.

• Dragon Katana
    replied
    Hellraiser (2022) - pretty good film. I still prefer Bradley's lead Cenobite/Pin Head.

Leave a comment:

• Dragon Katana
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
    I saw "Ghostbusters: Afterlife". I really enjoyed it! I think that anyone who loved the original movie will also like this one.
    I really enjoyed it as well.

Leave a comment:

• Cyrus The Great
    replied
    I saw "Ghostbusters: Afterlife". I really enjoyed it! I think that anyone who loved the original movie will also like this one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X