Duncan MacLeod d. Haresh Clay
    Otavio Consone d. Kronos
    Brian Cullen d. Caspian
    Rebecca Horne d. Silas

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
    1. Yeah, although I want Duncan out I do not think Haresh Clay is the one to pull that off. It'll be close but Duncan probably still takes it. Winner: Duncan MacLeod
    Problem is, I think Clay is the only one who has enough background that it makes sense for him to win. I think this was our chance.

Leave a comment:

• JedimstrCR
    replied
    QUARTER-FINALS

Haresh Clay vs. Duncan MacLeod

I'm going to go on and say that prime Duncan is my #1 ranked Immortal, so as long as he's in a tournament he will get my vote in any matchup LOL. I would also say that peak Duncan is sometime after Duende but before Archangel (though it could also be argued that his peak was post-Endgame, or even post-Source...I'm going with my original decision). That means that prime Duncan has Clay's own Quickening, as well as Kronos, Caspian, Consone, and a bunch of other top guys as well. I'm sure that Clay cut down his fair share of big names, but it's tough to imagine that they'd live up to Mac's list. If you're a believer in the power of the Quickening (which if you're a Highlander fan, I'm guessing you do), that says you believe that it gives you that extra 'oomph' that separates you from the rest, especially in a close match like this one.

Otavio Consone vs. Kronos

Kronos is the only Immortal not named MacLeod that I have in my Top 3. Consone, as good as he was, was never a top headhunter like the Kronoses, Kurgans, Clays, or Graysons of the world. He was technically awesome, no doubt. But I just don't think he has the power level to defeat Kronos at his best.

Brian Cullen vs. Caspian

Caspian was a bit too reckless with his style, relying primarily on intimidation (by appearance or by numbers, with the Horsemen) rather than absolute skill. He almost certainly was never considered the finest duelist on an entire continent. Cullen was.

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne

Oof, this is tough. My gut says that it takes a cool, confident fighter to take out a brute like Silas, which is exactly what Methos was. Rebecca would be much the same. She wasn't as physically strong as Methos, so she might not be able to withstand Silas's heavy strikes as well as Methos did with Ivanhoe. But I think she would also be faster than Methos, so maybe she could dodge them and be OK.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Slash
    replied
    Duncan MacLeod - As we saw in the series, Duncan wins. It isn't going to matter if Carter is alive or not. The show was called Highlander, not Haresh.

Kronos - This would be damn good. I have three immortals ranked ahead of Consone. Two MacLeods and Kronos. The leader of The Horsemen will get cut up here, but he keeps his head. As far as "small guy swinging a big sword" he didn't seem to have any trouble whatsoever swinging that sword.

Brian Cullen - Another brutal one. Cullen should have enough technique to beat the ancient.

Silas - We are talking at their best. It is said that, at his best, Silas swung his axe as fast as a sword. I think that negates the "big and slow" argument.

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    QUARTER-FINALS

This one is only hard because we DON'T know current Haresh Clay against current Duncan MacLeod. It's easy for Clay's Watcher to vote for their own Immortal. Duncan, as Clay from way back when, is continually studying, learning, expanding his fighting skills. Maybe Duncan would win. There's no sign that Clay has stagnated, though.

2. Otavio Consone vs. Kronos
    Otavio is ahead of Kronos. Probably. On the other hand, as Duncan beat Otavio by ignoring the pain of blades in his gut, Kronos could probably have done the same. Hmm. Chance really is a factor here. SKILL, Otavio probably.

3. Brian Cullen vs. Caspian
    Cullen.

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne
    Rebecca!

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied
    Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    QUARTER-FINALS

Brian Cullen vs. Caspian

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne
    1. Yeah, although I want Duncan out I do not think Haresh Clay is the one to pull that off. It'll be close but Duncan probably still takes it. Winner: Duncan MacLeod

2. I fully agree with Aragorn here. Otavio Consone will take this. Winner: Otavio Consone

3. It is amazing Caspian got as far as he did because he wasn't that good. Duncan dispatched of him easily. He was old but in an asylum for a long time so no swordplay for him.
    Brian Cullen might have some difficulty adapting to a madman but will take this eventually. Winner: Brian Cullen

4. Silas is extremely powerful but big and slow. He'll lose to about everyone left in this tournament. I like the big guy so I'll give him a graceful end by the sword of Rebecca. Winner: Rebecca Horne.

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    QUARTER-FINALS

So, Duncan was able to face Haresh when Haresh was burying his best friend of 900 years. Clay's fire was gone, Clay's watcher noted this on the watcher database that's on the DVDs and he still put up a hell of a fight with season 5 Duncan. The database basically said that if they had fought at a time when Clay wasn't at his worst, Duncan would have been pushing up daisy's. So if we take him in his prime, I have Clay here.
    VOTE: Haresh Clay

I think this is a bad match for Kronos. Kronos is not a large man and he swings a REALLY heavy sword and I think Consone would poke holes in Kronos as he got tired. We've seen Consone duel Duncan for hours so we know stamina is not going to be his problem.
    VOTE: Consone

Brian Cullen vs. Caspian

Could go either way. Gut says Cullen wins, but you could also argue "Well, even though he was slated as the best in Europe, he hadn't faced Caspian, clearly." Caspian being approx 4,000+ years old would make him someone who could beat him. That being said, going to the watcher database, they pointed out that Duncan being a finesse fighter is what really caught Caspian and I think that Cullen's technique and natural gift for fighting is probably going to win him the day here.
    VOTE: Brian Cullen

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne

I think this is a very close fight and could go either way. Though gut tells me Rebecca can handle him.
    VOTE: Rebecca Horne

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    QUARTER-FINALS

Brian Cullen vs. Caspian

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    ROUND 5

Otavio Consone d. Kyra
    Kronos d. The Kurgan
    Silas d. Xavier St.Cloud
    Rebecca Horne d. Zai Jie

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    commented on 's reply
    Officially my vote is Kronos. Just in case this also isn't clear, officially Rebecca.

• Aragorn
    replied
    Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
    2. Kronos vs. The Kurgan
    Also somewhat tricky. Kronos is a hell of a fighter and no slouch. The Kurgan must be, too, BUT he lost to Connor in this universe. Kronos, I think, as we do not really know how good the Kurgan of the series might have been. We only know, wink wink, that he was bad.
    So, I get the impression you're going Kronos but you didn't say as much as so please clarify.

Also, consider that Kurgan isn't a different character by TV rules. The only thing is that when Connor took him out, he and Connor weren't the last two immortals (in the TV series universe). You can still give him credit from the movie in that he was 2nd place and was as powerful and as successful as he was.

Even if you look at him by TV series rules, he's still ran through the competition based on those rules. Anyways, please let us know officially what your vote is.

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    ROUND 5

1. Otavio Consone vs. Kyra
    Consone. I know people are impressed with Kyra, but as she was on the show, she was presented as being this great bodyguard without, really, anything to show that she was great. She was childlike, and I am not sure who to blame that on more, the writers or the unfortunate actress. Childlike, and she ended up in a mental hospiatl for reasons, molested by a scuzzy nurse (ah, how far you fell Luthor (just joking)).

2. Kronos vs. The Kurgan
    Also somewhat tricky. Kronos is a hell of a fighter and no slouch. The Kurgan must be, too, BUT he lost to Connor in this universe. Kronos, I think, as we do not really know how good the Kurgan of the series might have been. We only know, wink wink, that he was bad.

3. Silas vs. Xavier St.Cloud
    Also tricky. Silas was part of the four, for a thousand years. Xavier before losing one hand? After... well, he did make a pretty decent accounting with that hook. I'm torn. Hm. Hmm hm. Xavier, maybe. Maybe. The hook is throwing me. Intact, Xavier. With hook, probably Silas.

4. Zai Jie vs. Rebecca Horne
    Nooooo! Zai Jie, we hardly knew you. I'm going with Rebecca under two theories. One, she's alive because the Methuselah Stone makes her invulnerable as long as she fights. Two: She would have to be great to make it that long, and the ONLY reason, as far as we know, she died was because she let herself be killed. Zai is a good guy, at least when we know him, not one to threaten mortal loves to make her surrender.

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    TIED:

Rebecca Horne = 2
    Zai Jie = 2

Kronos = 2
    Kurgan = 2

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    Yeah, nobody's gonna take that. LOL. Unfortunately we just need to give some time for a tie-breaker to show up since we have 2 ties. We have a few people who vote who haven't shown up yet. I'll keep checking every day to see if someone breaks it.

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied
    So it's up to Ceridwen or dubiousbystander to see who'd win?

I'm willing to trade Zai Jie for Rebecca for The Kurgan instead of Kronos btw

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    ROUND 5

Otavio Consone vs. Kyra

I agree with the consensus that Consone would wina close fight.
    VOTE: Consone

Kronos vs. The Kurgan

I don't know where people get to thinking that Kronos would take Kurgan. I don't buy it for a second. That dude is an amazing fighter (Kronos) but he's always been in a pack where Kurgan has always been a lone wolf which is necessary in a one-on-one fight against one of the best fighters in history. Kurgan is, in my opinion, a bigger and stronger version of Kronos.
    VOTE: Kurgan

Silas vs. Xavier St.Cloud

I feel like this could go either way. If they fought 100 times, I don't think one fighter would cream the other. I think it would end up about 55/45 for the winner. I think Xavier, not knowing who Silas is, in the first fight would be at a disadvantage because I don't think he'd expect Silas to be as good a fighter as he is. So I think Silas would take round 1. I think Xavier being a heavily skilled and trained fighter would take more of the later contests once he adapted to Silas's style (which I doubt would change all that much after the first couple of fights). So technically, Silas.
    VOTE: Silas

Zai Jie vs. Rebecca Horne

I'm going to go with Jedi on this one. I am more impressed with Zai than he is, but I am giving Rebecca this fight. I don't even though Zai's technique is what impressed everyone but the fact that he didn't just get obliterated in 4 seconds by the Guardian is impressive.
    VOTE: Rebecca

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Slash
    replied
    ROUND 5

Otavio Consone - I have Kyra ranked higher than any woman in the Highlander universe. But I have Consone ranked considerably higher. In fact, I have four immortals ranked above Kurgan and Consone is one. Oh believe me Kyra will give him one hell of a fight and she will not fight his game. But I don't think Consone needs to stand in that damn circle just to win a fight.

Kronos - You notice in my previous fight, I said I had four immortals ranked above Kurgan? This is another one. The other two are MacLeods. This would be an absolutely BRUTAL fight. It would be bloody. But Kronos has a slight speed edge and I think that is just enough to take the win. With the Quickening of Kurgan, Kronos just might take The Prize.

Silas - Because we are looking at fighters in their prime, Silas would take this. It is said, in his prime, Silas could swing his axe as fast as a sword. In his prime, Xavier had one arm and was still a bad ass. Unfortunately for Xavier, he'd lose more than that here.

Zai Jie - I had to think on this one. Rebecca was no doubt an extremely capable fighter. Zai showed his worth by beating The Guardian. He would have killed The Guardian had he not been wearing that stupid neck thing. It wouldn't take much at all for me to change my mind on this.

Leave a comment:

• JedimstrCR
    replied
    Otavio Consone vs. Kyra

Man, what an awesome fight this would be! We know that Kyra is an ancient, and that she was really damn good. But the only visual evidence we have for her is against Vladic, who quite frankly was not much. We saw Otavio get near-prime Mac dead to rights, which counts for a lot with me. Tough one (especially since I love Kyra), but I gotta go with Consone.

Kronos vs. The Kurgan

The egos here would be off the charts! Again I have to think about TV rules for this match, which favors the more technically skilled fighters IMO. Kronos was a brute, for sure, but he was one of the better technical duelists we saw. Kurgan was all hack n' slash. I think Kronos gets him eventually.

Love Xavier, but Silas was more brutal. Without the emotion that cost him his head against Methos, he would prove to be a better fighter than the talented St. Cloud.

Never been as high on Zai as others here...all I saw was some wild flailing against a stupid bad guy. Rebecca was a badass who deserved a better death in the Series. She could handle Zai.

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Ward
    replied
    Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    ROUND 5

Otavio Consone vs. Kyra

Kronos vs. The Kurgan

1. Oh, the disdain for each other in this fight will be palpable. It'll be great. Unfortunately for Kyra she'll lose her head here.

2. Yeah, this fight will be awesome as well. I can only imagine how each would like to try and impress the other only to be annoyed by the stoic or condescending smile. And if the Kurgan would remember their earlier encounter, Kronos is in for some pain. The Kurgan will take this.

3. Poor Silas, he got far but to fall against Xavier St. Cloud is no shame.

4. Zai Joe will take this one imo

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    Sorry I've been away a few days. Personal stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    ROUND 5

Otavio Consone vs. Kyra

Kronos vs. The Kurgan

Leave a comment:

• Aragorn
    replied
    ROUND 5

Brian Cullen d. Ceirdwyn
    Caspian d. Kalas
    Haresh Clay d. Grayson
    Duncan MacLeod d. Kassim

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    Mr. Slash said,
    We are talking about at the top of their game
    so that is a good point.

ROUND 5

1. Brian Cullen vs. Ceirdwyn
    Yeah, it would have to be Cullen.

2. Caspian vs. Kalas
    I'm going with Caspian, here. Kalas, as has been noted, we never saw him face someone who wasn't essentially rational.

Grayson vs. Haresh Clay
    Top of their game? Haresh Clay. Grayson does suffer from Season-One-citis. He may talk a better game than he ultimately played.

Kassim vs. Duncan MacLeod
    Yeah, really. Duncan.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Slash
    replied
    ROUND 5

Brian Cullen - I consider Ceirdwyn a damn tough woman, raised a warrior. Cullen obviously earned that rep. Although it became too much, we are talking about at the top of their game and, in that situation, Cullen ranks much higher and takes the win.

Caspian - You guys make good points about Kalas which Ihonestly had not considered. I would have still voted for Caspian because all he wanted to do was kill, eat, and kill some more and he did it for many thousand years.

Haresh Clay - This was a tough one. I agree that Grayson is exactly the kind of immortal Clay would look for. Unlike Ashe however, there is NO WAY Grayson will scurry to holy ground, although he might suggest it to Clay. On the other side, I can totally see Grayson approaching Clay much the same way he did Duncan and even offer him the chance to stay away from him or join him, which of course Clay won't take. I can see this going either way. This time, I will choose Clay.

Duncan MacLeod - We saw how this would turn out

Leave a comment:

Working...
X