Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you doing right now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Relaxing after my weekly trip to the vampires. Have a picture but it won't load
    Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

    Comment


    • Originally posted by LamBear* View Post

      Nothing quite like acceptance.

      I'm sitting here watching/listening to the roofers put new shingles on our roof. (It's a loud process). I am absolutely terrified of ladders and would never, ever go up on a roof, and seeing them on a steep roof makes me nervous.
      She is actually giving us hugs now! Such honour.

      I don't mind ladders, but we had a metal roof put on twenty years ago. Fifty + years warranty and it's wonderful.

      Comment


      • I'm procrastinating canning cucumbers. Or slicing onions. Or freezing beans.

        Comment


        • Coolwater
          Coolwater commented
          Editing a comment
          'Bouttime you got over here, Trees!

      • Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post

        She is actually giving us hugs now! Such honour.

        I don't mind ladders, but we had a metal roof put on twenty years ago. Fifty + years warranty and it's wonderful.
        Oh yes, hugs and kisses are the ultimate honor. Our youngest's kids are living with us (and d-i-l too while Spare Heir Two is away working) and we have a nightly ritual of good night hugs. It is so wonderful!

        Yeah, we originally wanted a metal roof, but the opportunity to go to Africa came up, so we downgraded to shingles because of the expense. Ah, choices. Besides, we should be in the old folks home in about 15 years anyway so it won't matter by then.

        Originally posted by ArtisticTrees View Post
        I'm procrastinating canning cucumbers. Or slicing onions. Or freezing beans.
        It's a new day. Are you still uncanned, unsliced and unfrozen? I understand procrastination.

        WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

        THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LamBear* View Post

          Oh yes, hugs and kisses are the ultimate honor. Our youngest's kids are living with us (and d-i-l too while Spare Heir Two is away working) and we have a nightly ritual of good night hugs. It is so wonderful!

          Yeah, we originally wanted a metal roof, but the opportunity to go to Africa came up, so we downgraded to shingles because of the expense. Ah, choices. Besides, we should be in the old folks home in about 15 years anyway so it won't matter by then.



          It's a new day. Are you still uncanned, unsliced and unfrozen? I understand procrastination.
          Africa is exciting! Where did you go besides Namibia?

          Yeah, Trees, did those veggies get murdered?

          Comment


          • Nowhere else besides Namibia unless you count flying via Doha, Qatar (as we were flying Qatar Airways) with 10 and 8 hour layovers there, coming and going. And this is after Qatar's neighboring Arab states declared Qatar patria non grata and cut if off diplomatically, meaning, among other things QA couldn't fly into those countries' airspace. I was a tad antsy about that.
            WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

            THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

            Comment


            • Coolwater
              Coolwater commented
              Editing a comment
              Egads, Lam!

          • Originally posted by LamBear* View Post
            Nowhere else besides Namibia unless you count flying via Doha, Qatar (as we were flying Qatar Airways) with 10 and 8 hour layovers there, coming and going. And this is after Qatar's neighboring Arab states declared Qatar patria non grata and cut if off diplomatically, meaning, among other things QA couldn't fly into those countries' airspace. I was a tad antsy about that.
            I would be antsy too. Speaking of Qatar, our minister's son and his wife have just starting teaching there. Their parents are antsy.

            Comment


            • I was definitely out of my comfort zone, although practically everyone we encountered spoke English and was nice. Still, I felt more relaxed with just cheetah and leopard lurking about. At least you always knew what they were thinking. "Mmm--lunch" Qatar's airport was very shiny.

              How long are the minister's son and wife going to be over there? Or is it indefinite? And speaking of teaching, how much longer do you have off? Can't believe it's already football season and back-to-school supplies time.
              WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

              THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

              Comment


              • Having got my buns back here I am reading around the board. That's what I'm doing!
                May The Winds Be With You, while I'm searchin' for my lost shaker of salt. Makin' for the Trades on the outside. Lookin' for the Southern Cross. (J.Buffett 77/74)
                "Yeah, It's all fun and games until somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.

                Comment


                • mathpiglet
                  mathpiglet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome back.

              • I just got back from Quaker Meeting where one Friend went on about how noble she was for learning a few words of Shawnee and another flat out insulted me for thinking that maybe the current administration might not have considered that Russia is slipping misinformation about the US's intentions toward North Korea. If I were a good Quaker, that wouldn't chap my hide quite so much. The best I can do is remind myself that this is usually one of the nicest group of folks ever. Must be something in the air.
                “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                Billy Sunday

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LamBear* View Post
                  I was definitely out of my comfort zone, although practically everyone we encountered spoke English and was nice. Still, I felt more relaxed with just cheetah and leopard lurking about. At least you always knew what they were thinking. "Mmm--lunch" Qatar's airport was very shiny.

                  How long are the minister's son and wife going to be over there? Or is it indefinite? And speaking of teaching, how much longer do you have off? Can't believe it's already football season and back-to-school supplies time.
                  I think they have a two year contract. They have just finished a teaching stint in Thailand or something like that. The problem is we have a surplus of teachers, so many young one are getting experience overseas. Mind you, this guy probably loves it - he has traveled the world.

                  I have three more weeks off before starting what will probably be the most challenging semester of my life. Two periods (I'm part time) but five different classes. Yikes!

                  Comment


                  • How does that work? It sounds mathematically impossible. (And please tell us that none of them are new preps!)
                    “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                    Billy Sunday

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                      How does that work? It sounds mathematically impossible. (And please tell us that none of them are new preps!)
                      Thankfully the classes are small. No more than 8 students at one time. However, since our enrollment is declining, and the number of teachers is based on the number of students, we need to double or triple up. So in first period, I teach two different grade 10 classes, one at the highest level and one at the middle level. Some expectations are similar, but the focus and depth are different, so they will have to be taught separately most of the time. Three students in the higher level and five students at the middle level. In the second period, I have two students in grade 12, two in grade 11 and four in grade 10 (lower level). The ones in grade 10 have very low reading levels. Naturally none of the expectations are the same. Thankfully, I have taught all the classes before except for the lower grade 10s, so all the lessons are ready to go. I have figured out how to keep almost everyone busy, using different strategies for things like checking homework. I can use ipads and/or computers for independent work, since I can get enough ipads each day and I have four student computers available in my class. I figure when I teach, I'll have the students with me, but not writing down the lesson examples. Then, while I'm working with another group, the first group will fill in the lesson pages independently, with my filled in lesson as backup. That will make the lessons shorter and the students will be able to self-assess their ability. At least everyone will have at least one other classmate to work with. But I will be very busy and I'm not sure I can cover all the expectations in the time allotted.

                      You can tell this has been consuming my summer.

                      Comment


                      • Lam may have had the best summer post, but you're going to have the most impressive fall posts! Basically, it's the old one room school house model, isn't it?
                        “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                        Billy Sunday

                        Comment


                        • MP, sounds like you are going to be stretched prettttyyy thin and truly challenged. That's a LOT of plates spinning. Good luck.

                          Cool, are the new countertops in?

                          Kat, are you finished reading to catch up with the board yet?
                          WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

                          THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                            Must be something in the air.
                            There is definitely something in the air. Wouldn't know about being a good Quaker, but there is so much s@&t going on everywhere, I'm finding it hard to invest much emotion/concern anymore.

                            So who's traveling to get a full view of the solar eclipse on Monday? I'll have to be content with an 80% (?) view.

                            WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

                            THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

                            Comment


                            • 75% for me, and the fancy glasses are sold out everywhere. I remember in grade 5 there was a total eclipse and when one of the teachers caught me trying to look I was sent inside at recess. I wasn't going to *stare*, I was just going to glance several times, but they had a real hardline policy that day. (& who trusts a curious 10 year old to be sensible?)

                              Comment


                              • We're getting a partial, too, but I'm not sure how much.
                                “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                                Billy Sunday

                                Comment


                                • Oops. I was being optimistic, we're only getting about 63% after all.
                                  WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

                                  THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

                                  Comment


                                  • The easiest thing to do is to put a pin hole in a piece of heavy paper or something like a paper plate. It acts as a pinhole camera. Allow sunlight to go through the hole to create a light spot on something and it will show the crescent shape of the unblocked sun. I haven't done this since I was a kid, but it worked with some fussing about to get the right distance. We had a large piece of cardboard and a slidescreen, but it is usually much smaller. I've seen pictures of multiple crescents in the shadow of a tree.

                                    https://petapixel.com/2012/05/21/cre...solar-eclipse/

                                    Comment


                                    • Relaxing before bed after a full day at the Cincinnati Zoo. Also wishing my daughter would give up both of her dogs...
                                      Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

                                      Comment


                                      • Oh, dear. I know some dogs like that. Actually, I hope nobody thinks of my dogs like that!
                                        I really enjoyed the eclipse. We had a near totality, but it was covered by cloud until just at the peak! Whew!
                                        “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                                        Billy Sunday

                                        Comment


                                        • I'm marveling over a handwritten legal document that we got in the mail today. It's a photo copy, but it's dated from 1924 and is about 8 full pages. The handwriting is impeccable cursive (remember that old stuff?) and I cannot imagine doing that. Makes me appreciate Microsoft (yeah, even) Write! (or whatever program I'm using).
                                          WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

                                          THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

                                          Comment


                                          • Oh, Lam! How interesting! May we know what the document is about? I know what you mean about the old scripts. It's a pity people aren't always learning to read it anymore.
                                            “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                                            Billy Sunday

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by LamBear* View Post
                                              MP, sounds like you are going to be stretched prettttyyy thin and truly challenged. That's a LOT of plates spinning. Good luck.

                                              Cool, are the new countertops in?

                                              Kat, are you finished reading to catch up with the board yet?
                                              No
                                              May The Winds Be With You, while I'm searchin' for my lost shaker of salt. Makin' for the Trades on the outside. Lookin' for the Southern Cross. (J.Buffett 77/74)
                                              "Yeah, It's all fun and games until somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.

                                              Comment


                                              • LamBear*
                                                LamBear* commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Well, pick up the pace, girl.
                                            Working...
                                            X